Regearing? An age old question..But wait, there's more.. how's your oil filter?

desertrunner

Wait so is the OP getting 4.88s or not?

Side bar I'm conflicted on the gears thing because I bought the dynatrac trail leader which comes with all the locker, gears, full master install kit and shafts. Literally everything ready to go. The shop I took it to was understandably reluctant but at the same time I had SO many issues with them. The first being they told me I had the wrong locker because it was for the wrong size gears... To which I told them the JK has a thick ring gear and the carrier won't match the locker.... Then the ring gear bolts wouldn't fit. I had to call ARB for them to tell me to have them drill the hols bigger as it clearly says in the install instructions because you can have 3 different size bolts that fit. They really didn't want to do it dispite being an ARB dealer. So in that case I clearly had the right parts and knew more than they did and makes me wonder if I walked in and had them buy the parts of they would have even bought the right ones.

DanW

Wait so is the OP getting 4.88s or not?

Side bar I'm conflicted on the gears thing because I bought the dynatrac trail leader which comes with all the locker, gears, full master install kit and shafts. Literally everything ready to go. The shop I took it to was understandably reluctant but at the same time I had SO many issues with them. The first being they told me I had the wrong locker because it was for the wrong size gears... To which I told them the JK has a thick ring gear and the carrier won't match the locker.... Then the ring gear bolts wouldn't fit. I had to call ARB for them to tell me to have them drill the hols bigger as it clearly says in the install instructions because you can have 3 different size bolts that fit. They really didn't want to do it dispite being an ARB dealer. So in that case I clearly had the right parts and knew more than they did and makes me wonder if I walked in and had them buy the parts of they would have even bought the right ones.

Exactly. But the fun starts now as you'll get a shit storm for "stealing" from that shop, as if you went in there and held a gun to their head and said, "Use my parts, or you are dead!"

But hey, around here, the shop ALWAYS knows what's best for your Jeep.

DanW

Nothing worst then trying to take money out of your friend's pockets, instead of supporting them like you should. SMH!
So me paying them, with their markup and all, has now turned into me somehow stealing money from them.

So we've gone from the fact that I would be paying the vendor's asking price, in cash money coming out of MY pocket, for a service he's providing to somehow I'm starving his kids. 🤣 The comedy never stops around here!

All of your butthurt aside, this is what my friend told me in response to my inquiry:

"I would go with the Dana/Spicer or Yukon. They are both great. Around $600 is about right for the gears. You also need master install kits. Some sets come with them and some do not. https://www.quadratec.com/p/yukon-gear-axle/complete-front-rear-ring-and-pinion-kit-jl-jt/4.56-d44-d44-gear-ratio-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt Something like that is a quality product with everything you need to install. I usually do $350 per axle on regearing. With 35s most folks go with the 4.88s, some even 5.13s (but that is pretty darn aggressive), but 4.56 would give you a little more oomf. Of course there's 3 million opinions online. There's no hard and fast answer since everyone likes to be in a different range. Hope that gives you a general idea. When you get closer to ready to do it I can work up an official estimate for you, but those are good for ballpark numbers. Thanks for thinking of me!"

If anyone is in Indiana and wants to know who he is, send me a PM and I'll give you his contact info. He's a great guy and does excellent work. And he's a very skilled off-roader with a nicely built TJ (he's particularly fond of TJ's) so he knows more than just the assembly/tech stuff, but also about the stresses Jeep's can experience.

And guess what? Most people buy the parts themselves and bring them to him. I guess in your minds this poor guy gets mugged all the time. In fact, he recommends where to buy them. Hmmm. Maybe he enjoys being abused. Each to his own, I guess.

He also did something that most of you could not do. He gave me a ballpark figure for what it would cost.

WJCO

Meme King
So me paying them, with their markup and all, has now turned into me somehow stealing money from them.

So we've gone from the fact that I would be paying the vendor's asking price, in cash money coming out of MY pocket, for a service he's providing to somehow I'm starving his kids. 🤣 The comedy never stops around here!

All of your butthurt aside, this is what my friend told me in response to my inquiry:

"I would go with the Dana/Spicer or Yukon. They are both great. Around $600 is about right for the gears. You also need master install kits. Some sets come with them and some do not. https://www.quadratec.com/p/yukon-gear-axle/complete-front-rear-ring-and-pinion-kit-jl-jt/4.56-d44-d44-gear-ratio-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt Something like that is a quality product with everything you need to install. I usually do $350 per axle on regearing. With 35s most folks go with the 4.88s, some even 5.13s (but that is pretty darn aggressive), but 4.56 would give you a little more oomf. Of course there's 3 million opinions online. There's no hard and fast answer since everyone likes to be in a different range. Hope that gives you a general idea. When you get closer to ready to do it I can work up an official estimate for you, but those are good for ballpark numbers. Thanks for thinking of me!"

If anyone is in Indiana and wants to know who he is, send me a PM and I'll give you his contact info. He's a great guy and does excellent work. And he's a very skilled off-roader with a nicely built TJ (he's particularly fond of TJ's) so he knows more than just the assembly/tech stuff, but also about the stresses Jeep's can experience.

And guess what? Most people buy the parts themselves and bring them to him. I guess in your minds this poor guy gets mugged all the time. In fact, he recommends where to buy them. Hmmm. Maybe he enjoys being abused. Each to his own, I guess.

He also did something that most of you could not do. He gave me a ballpark figure for what it would cost.
Congrats on finally getting your answer. Make sure you supply him with your Fram filter too. (y)

DanW

Congrats on finally getting your answer. Make sure you supply him with your Fram filter too. (y)

Of course, you know I abuse my friends. I'll give him one of the Mobil 1 filters I got on clearance and will keep the Fram Ultras for myself. ;) And I'm going to find a way, somehow, to keep him from making his boat payment.

DanW

Please elaborate?
Sarcasm and legends similar to Fram orange cans blowing up engines. Maybe back in the day, but a long time ago. Pennzoil and Quaker state many years ago had a rep for paraffin in their oils that allegedly caused sludging. People held that against them for many years after the issue was long gone. Some old mechanics even today swear it is still that way, even though Pennzoil is owned by Shell and the only connection to the old product is the yellow color and name on the bottle. Fram has switched hands at least twice since they had issues. Under the last ownership, they patented their synthetic filter media on the Ultra line and all of their filters generally outperform the competition. Even the orange can filters better than many premium filters. Today, they are owned by Trico Group, which began as the windshield wiper manfuacturer.

Hope that helps. It's kind of funny because all my Dad ran in his cars were the Frams from the years that they were probably at their worst. Never an issue, though. His cars all wore out or rusted out before the engines in them did.

FFPulley77

Hooked
I’ve grown tired of these harangues about oil filters…

it’s just droning on and on and on and on and on…. And on and on and on…

what gears did you end up going with?

DanW

I’ve grown tired of these harangues about oil filters…

it’s just droning on and on and on and on and on…. And on and on and on…

what gears did you end up going with?
I've not made a final decision, but I think I will tomorrow. I'm leaning toward 4.56. I've heard nothing but positives with 35's and 4.56, mostly with auto trannys. I haven't really found anyone with a manual with 4.88's. I went out driving today after caclulating rpms with each at 75mph, then played around in 1st gear to see if I can imagine it with 4.88's. I felt like 4.56 would be the sweet spot. If I don't hear from anyone with 4.88s and a manual by tomorrow afternoon, I'll go ahead and order Dana/Spicers in 4.56 with their installation kits. I am sure I'd be happy with that. Just want to see if there are a few guys out there with 4.88's who might rave about them and give me feedback on 6th and 1st gear performance/driveability.

When whichever is installed, I'll report back on the results.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My buddy has 4.88’s and a manual with the 3.8 and 35’s. It’s a perfect fit.

I can’t remember the last time I have so regretted clicking on a thread on this forum. I can’t help but think you are an engineer in real life. Either way, I bet your friends voluntarily throw themselves into the fire when camping with you. I know I would.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I can’t remember the last time I have so regretted clicking on a thread on this forum. I can’t help but think you are an engineer in real life. Either way, I bet your friends voluntarily throw themselves into the fire when camping with you. I know I would.
His friends can’t afford to go camping cause he beats them up on prices too much. Their kids are starving.

Brute

Hooked

I can see them now...jumping into the fire, Fram oil filter in hand...

Spazbyt

Hooked
I can see them now...jumping into the fire, Fram oil filter in hand...
Many independent scientific evaluation have been done to the Fram Super Delux oil filter and through this research it has been concluded that the Fram Super Delux can survive temputers well exceeding the BTUs radiated by a typical camping fire. Ergo vis a vie Fram Super Delux is the best oil filter of all time.

desertrunner

I've not made a final decision, but I think I will tomorrow. I'm leaning toward 4.56. I've heard nothing but positives with 35's and 4.56, mostly with auto trannys. I haven't really found anyone with a manual with 4.88's. I went out driving today after caclulating rpms with each at 75mph, then played around in 1st gear to see if I can imagine it with 4.88's. I felt like 4.56 would be the sweet spot. If I don't hear from anyone with 4.88s and a manual by tomorrow afternoon, I'll go ahead and order Dana/Spicers in 4.56 with their installation kits. I am sure I'd be happy with that. Just want to see if there are a few guys out there with 4.88's who might rave about them and give me feedback on 6th and 1st gear performance/driveability.

When whichever is installed, I'll report back on the results.
I posted my whole shpeel about 4.88s with on a 12' manual before all the oil filter shenanigans. I have that set up and ran 33s and 37s with it. 33s it wasn't terrible and now with 37s I wish I had 5.13s so with 35s it should be perfect

Brute

Hooked
Many independent scientific evaluation have been done to the Fram Super Delux oil filter and through this research it has been concluded that the Fram Super Delux can survive temputers well exceeding the BTUs radiated by a typical camping fire. Ergo vis a vie Fram Super Delux is the best oil filter of all time.
vis a vis?...so the French are recommending the orange filter?...

Top Bottom