Regear time.

jkmadness

Hi Guys, I have a 2012 2 dr auto with 3.21 gears on 295/70/17 nittos...33.3 inches in diameter according to specs...I am leaning towards 4.56,not planning of going any bigger than 35 in the future...any thoughts.

Donny

For your purposes, 4.56 would be a good ratio to go with :yup:

When reading the Gear chart in the Newb section I would have picked 4.88 to answer his question..... why 4.56? My 2013 Auto JKU is still stock but looking to go 35-37 is there a diff between 2dr and 4dr when making these determinations? If I stay at the 3.73 while on 35's is there a way to know how I will suffer/less performance? MPG vs. the proper gearing and speed issues?

Donny

FoxC

When reading the Gear chart in the Newb section I would have picked 4.88 to answer his question..... why 4.56? My 2013 Auto JKU is still stock but looking to go 35-37 is there a diff between 2dr and 4dr when making these determinations? If I stay at the 3.73 while on 35's is there a way to know how I will suffer/less performance? MPG vs. the proper gearing and speed issues?

I believe the op and eddie are stating 4.56 because of the 33" diameter tire that is referenced. You will see a drop in mpg mainly in town with 3.73, but it is really not bad with 35's and the 5 speed auto. 37's is a different story though.

Donny

I believe the op and eddie are stating 4.56 because of the 33" diameter tire that is referenced. You will see a drop in mpg mainly in town with 3.73, but it is really not bad with 35's and the 5 speed auto. 37's is a different story though.

FoxC,
Just thought I was reading the chart wrong...still don't know that I'm Not :)

Donny

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, I was making the recommendation based on the 33" tire note. We're running 37's now with 4.10's and find it to be acceptable and would think that even with 35's running 4.56, it would still be enough.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yes, I was making the recommendation based on the 33" tire note. We're running 37's now with 4.10's and find it to be acceptable and would think that even with 35's running 4.56, it would still be enough.

you know, I think i'm just going to go for 5.13's on my 37's. Might as well make this jeep a rocket while i'm regearing :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
you know, I think i'm just going to go for 5.13's on my 37's. Might as well make this jeep a rocket while i'm regearing :D

Yeah, I might do the same but, I was really hoping to get 60's under Rubicat before regearing. That way, I wouldn't have to do it twice :crazyeyes:

JAGS

Hooked
Yeah, I might do the same but, I was really hoping to get 60's under Rubicat before regearing. That way, I wouldn't have to do it twice :crazyeyes:

So sound like ur running stock axels (dana 44s) and the stock 4.10s under cat. Did you beef up the axels at all for the 37s? Last question is how long you been running like this.

Just curious as rubicat is more my build style at the moment.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So sound like ur running stock axels (dana 44s) and the stock 4.10s under cat. Did you beef up the axels at all for the 37s? Last question is how long you been running like this.

Yup, still running factory 44's and stock 4.10's. We did have EVO axle c-gussets installed but no sleeves. We did end up breaking a driver side factory front shaft and replaced it with a chromoly with full circle clip. But, that's about it. Been running like this since about April.

JAGS

Hooked
Yup, still running factory 44's and stock 4.10's. We did have EVO axle c-gussets installed but no sleeves. We did end up breaking a driver side factory front shaft and replaced it with a chromoly with full circle clip. But, that's about it. Been running like this since about April.

So if I were going to run this set-up (Enforcer or coils) and the 37s trail Graps, would you do the front shaft as preventative or any other mods to beef up the stock parts. I've got a stock 12' JKURubi BTW.

I dont think I'll go bigger than 37s for a VERY long time and likely going either enforcer or coilovers to get those to fit. Was thinking I also had to save up for some PR44s and new gears at the same time, but now wondering if I can do in stages, without experiencing "emergency" fixes and/or upgrades.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if I were going to run this set-up (Enforcer or coils) and the 37s trail Graps, would you do the front shaft as preventative or any other mods to beef up the stock parts. I've got a stock 12' JKURubi BTW.

I dont think I'll go bigger than 37s for a VERY long time and likely going either enforcer or coilovers to get those to fit. Was thinking I also had to save up for some PR44s and new gears at the same time, but now wondering if I can do in stages, without experiencing "emergency" fixes and/or upgrades.

Yup, I would do it. Install c-gussets but maybe just that and save up for what you will need down the road. Who knows, you may be able to save up enough for a PR44 before you break anything and then, you will have saved a ton of money. Just get what you need when you need it.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

Yeah this is a good question. I'm in the same boat.

I have a manual Rubi with 4.1 gears. Will I have anything to worry about with moving from 33s to 35s? :idontknow: My guess is I won't but would just like to know for sure. :thinking:

FoxC

Yeah this is a good question. I'm in the same boat.

I have a manual Rubi with 4.1 gears. Will I have anything to worry about with moving from 33s to 35s? :idontknow: My guess is I won't but would just like to know for sure. :thinking:

I was running 3.73 on 35's and then 37's. 35's were no problem. 4.10's with 35''s should be just fine.

JAGS

Hooked
I thought I only wanted 35s on my 4dr but then I found the forums and saw the 37s and 40s on a lot of rigs. 40s are huge and require a whole lot to support. So 37s are in the cards. If 4:10s will work all the better for a while. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
37's really is a great size to go with and, something that'll allow you to do pretty much anything. It'll still cost a pretty penny to do right but, way more affordable than 40's. At that size, it's a real commitment.

JAGS

Hooked
37's really is a great size to go with and, something that'll allow you to do pretty much anything. It'll still cost a pretty penny to do right but, way more affordable than 40's. At that size, it's a real commitment.

Lots an lots of pretty pennies as well as many benjis. Lol. I don't want to have any regrets on my build and do it once and maintain it for a long time. Been reading a lot here and looks like more and more this is the right path.

Can't save fast enough! Look forward to hitting some trails with Moby and Rubicat and many others that help guide me so far. Can't save fast enough!

Top Bottom