Radiator fan not working!

Gecko13

Ok so I’ll try to keep the quick and simple. I swapped out my leaky radiator for a new one and I also replaced the fan at the same time because it had a wobble. Everything worked just fine. Then I took my steering box off and shipped it to psc to change the valving. I thought I had the steering wheel locked with a bungee but it slipped off the the steering wheel moved. I put everything back together and the headlights, horn blinkers etc worked intermittently so I ordered a new clock spring. Installed that, everything was back to normal but I couldn’t get the traction control icon to disappear after clearing all the codes. Then I went for a drive and noticed the Jeep was getting hot, then realized I had no fan. Took it off and Napa warrantied it out for a new one. I assumed I got a faulty fan. Installed the new one. Started it up, worked great. Cleared the code that said radiator fan fault/ short circuit. Started it up again and now it’s not working! Can’t figure it out please help!

Gecko13

I will mention, it took me a little time to get the clock spring so the Jeep sat for a few weeks without a battery maintainer. It was completely dead when I went to start it and it took several jump cycles from the charger to get it going again. Could I have fried something?

black pearl

Hooked
Maybe pinched a wire when reinstalling something? The wires around the steering box can get hung up when removing and installing. Just thoughts.

Gecko13

Maybe pinched a wire when reinstalling something? The wires around the steering box can get hung up when removing and installing. Just thoughts.
Yeah I checked and I didn’t see anything. I don’t understand why it worked again with the new fan but then it quit working once I cleared the code?

pvkj454

My fan electrical connector had a terminal that went bad. I cleaned it and tightened the female end and that fixed it for a couple of weeks. It was starting to melt the plastic around the terminal.

Gecko13

My fan electrical connector had a terminal that went bad. I cleaned it and tightened the female end and that fixed it for a couple of weeks. It was starting to melt the plastic around the terminal.
Thanks, I checked those and still nothing. Seems like everything happened when I had to jump it because of the dead battery.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks, I checked those and still nothing. Seems like everything happened when I had to jump it because of the dead battery.
Apply direct power and ground to the fan you currently have. If it's not working, it's highly unlikely that you got two bad fans in a row (especially since you said the 2nd one worked at least at some point). So if it's not coming on, it would appear something keeps shorting out your fan motors. Are you 100% sure you replaced the correct relay? Any chance there is more than 1 relay?

If the fan works intermittently, most likely you have an open circuit somewhere. However, if new fan again isn't working, you likely have a short somewhere that shorted it out (unless you just got really unlucky and got two bad fan motors in a row).

Gecko13

Apply direct power and ground to the fan you currently have. If it's not working, it's highly unlikely that you got two bad fans in a row (especially since you said the 2nd one worked at least at some point). So if it's not coming on, it would appear something keeps shorting out your fan motors. Are you 100% sure you replaced the correct relay? Any chance there is more than 1 relay?

If the fan works intermittently, most likely you have an open circuit somewhere. However, if new fan again isn't working, you likely have a short somewhere that shorted it out (unless you just got really unlucky and got two bad fan motors in a row).
Thanks for the reply. Yes I’ve triple checked all the fuzes and relays. So what’s weird is the new fan worked for one cycle. I shut the Jeep off, cleared the trouble code and started it to see if it was fixed and then nothing. I have tried to apply direct power to the fan and nothing. Possibly because there is that 3rd small wire that I don’t know what it’s for. Also I noticed that the red power cable going to the fan is always hot.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks for the reply. Yes I’ve triple checked all the fuzes and relays. So what’s weird is the new fan worked for one cycle. I shut the Jeep off, cleared the trouble code and started it to see if it was fixed and then nothing. I have tried to apply direct power to the fan and nothing. Possibly because there is that 3rd small wire that I don’t know what it’s for. Also I noticed that the red power cable going to the fan is always hot.
The fan likely has a low speed circuit and a high speed circuit. I can't recall if that wiring takes place right at the fan or if it's before the relay.

JeepFan

Hooked
I had the same issue on my 09 JK and it turned out to be the short harness between the fan motor and main connector. Not sure if this applies to your situation but it might be worth checking out. Here's the part info:
Mopar 55056789AC Electric Fan Wiring Harness for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK

Gecko13

Does anyone know how I can test the fan to see if it works? There is 3 cables. Positive-negative and a 3rd small cable. I don’t know if the small cable goes to +or-?

Gecko13

I had the same issue on my 09 JK and it turned out to be the short harness between the fan motor and main connector. Not sure if this applies to your situation but it might be worth checking out. Here's the part info:
Mopar 55056789AC Electric Fan Wiring Harness for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK
Thank you I will check it out

Top Bottom