Race Radios

I have a Baofeng BF-F8 HP handheld radio (3rd gen UV-5R) and while I've been happy with it I'd really like a hard mounted race radio with Eddie's new ACC Bar.

Curious as to what you guys run and why, as I'm pretty amateur when it comes to comms. Not trying to spend too much money but I don't want cheap crap either.

What do y'all think?

SeaSharp

For handheld GMRS I use and buy these for friends:

https://amzn.to/3J0evPI Nagoya 771G GMRS tuned antenna
https://amzn.to/423IHT4 UV-9G Radio

I have a Ham Radio that's been modded (I'm also licensed ham). I can talk ham, gmrs, marine, etc all on one radio. Most of our crew runs the radio and antenna above without any issues. It comes out of the box programmed, no setup required.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
I was in the same situation. Tired of forgetting to charge the handhelds, or just forgetting them at the house all together, or falling on the floor while I'm harnessed in and can't reach it.

Most people in my groups were using GMRS, including new friends at Easter Jeep. those with Race Radios were on GMRS channels anyway, so I went with a GMRS for the Jeep when choosing something mounted in the Jeep.

I decided to go with the Midland MXT275 since the mic has the controls, display, and speaker on it and I can mount the unit in the glovebox out of sight.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I use an Icom F5021, essentially, what PCI sells but as mentioned, they are pricey. I have been able to buy a couple of used ones on eBay like this:

And they are cheaper, but one of the 2 that I got had a bad mic. Fortunately, replacement mics aren't too expensive.

I should note, if you go this route, you will need to have the radio programmed. I do have the software, cable and channels you'd want and can help with this but I would have to do it in person. Maybe a future suds-n-grub or something? LOL

I use an Icom F5021, essentially, what PCI sells but as mentioned, they are pricey. I have been able to buy a couple of used ones on eBay like this:

And they are cheaper, but one of the 2 that I got had a bad mic. Fortunately, replacement mics aren't too expensive.

I should note, if you go this route, you will need to have the radio programmed. I do have the software, cable and channels you'd want and can help with this but I would have to do it in person. Maybe a future suds-n-grub or something? LOL
Lol, come down to SoCal then the weather is just fine 🤪

NevadaJohnny

I use GMRS. It's pretty easy to set up and use. I have a Midland mxt275 mounted and it works great, as well as two handhelds.

rubiDave

Take a look at the Radiooddity QB25. Yes, it's a china import like your Baofeng handheld. But for about 100 bucks you get a 25 watt radio, cables & antenna. It is capable of transmit & receive on 2m & 70cm ham bands, GMRS\FRS & race radio frequencies. You can program it on the unit or using the Chirp programming software, just like you Baofeng 20230308_163939.jpg 20230308_165145.jpg

This has been an interesting and complex topic. The more I read, the more I learn.
TL:DR = buy the same radios as your buddies are already using. Don't use more power than needed.

LONG ANSWER:

"With great power comes great responsibility." Seems to be true for radios as well. The electromagnetic spectrum is a finite resource (like our public land trail system). Lots of people use it and we need to "tread lightly" on the radio spectrum just like on the land. If we all go FULL POWER we fill the airwaves with so much noise you step on each other and can't hear your group. Hence the FCC has rules.
Note: there is a safe harbor provision in the FCC laws that allow you to transmit on non licensed frequencies if there is an emergency.

The really good powerful VHF radios like the Icom require an FCC license. Pretty standard for business radios - these are used by local trucking fleets, warehouses, inside a refinery like mine, etc. As with most things - quality costs more money. For those that need it, it's worth it.

Unless your VHF radio stays on MURS frequencies only - MURS unlicensed means the operator of the radios does not need to file directly with the FCC to use the radio. The three frequency bands used for this in the U.S. are the 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz.

VHF Marine radios and frequencies are specifically NOT allowed on land, so watch out for that. I live on the Gulf Coast where it's common to own both a boat and a jeep. The coast guard is picky about this for obvious safety reasons. Probably not something folks in the desert deal with.

The tricky thing is that it doesn't requires a license to BUY a radio. But you "may" need one to USE your radio. So it's very easy to break the law without realizing it. Note you only need a license to TRANSMIT. Receiving is always free. You can listen all you want to any frequency.

HAM - requires a license and you must pass a test. Lots of power, lots of options.

GMRS - requires a license, but no test. Just pay a fee and it's good for 10 years. Used to be $35, now it's $70 I think. And It's good for all your family (which might be the entire county in some locations - grin). max 5 watts on some frequencies, 50 on others.

FRS - no license. Max 2 watts on some frequencies, 0.5 watts on others so watch out. They are great for talking to the folks in your convoy if you stay within 1/2 a mile or so. Great for spotters which by definition are "line of sight." Handy for kids, camping, cruise ships, keeping track of youngsters at the mall. VERY HANDY during a disaster when cell phones are either down or saturated with too many users. We used them as we evacuated for a hurricane. I have 5 kids, 3 were teenage drivers, and we evacuated in 5 cars 100 miles in heavy traffic. Cell phones weren't reliable. FRS helped keep everyone aware and safe and coordinated bathroom stops, etc.

Note: GMRS and FRS share frequencies so you could mix them in a group and still talk to each other. BUT - the difference in power output can make the GMRS users REALLY LOUD, and the FRS users "really soft" so you are constantly playing with the volume in a mixed environment.

POWER - WATTS - more is better right? For handhelds you'll get longer battery life if you transmit with less power. You are also less likely to have cross talk interference with some other group if you are using low power. Plus, using the lowest power you need is a tread lightly nice thing to do. So it might make sense to have some low power FRS radios just for spotters and other line of sight work.

That way if you have a BIG convoy you can designate a high power frequency to talk longer distance from the front to the back - and designate a separate low power FRS frequency for spotters. And maybe a 3rd frequency for the kids to use, etc. a 4th for B.S. and trashtalk, LOL.

Which brings us back to the original TL:DR = buy the same radios as your buddies are already using.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This has been an interesting and complex topic. The more I read, the more I learn.
TL:DR = buy the same radios as your buddies are already using. Don't use more power than needed.

LONG ANSWER:

"With great power comes great responsibility." Seems to be true for radios as well. The electromagnetic spectrum is a finite resource (like our public land trail system). Lots of people use it and we need to "tread lightly" on the radio spectrum just like on the land. If we all go FULL POWER we fill the airwaves with so much noise you step on each other and can't hear your group. Hence the FCC has rules.
Note: there is a safe harbor provision in the FCC laws that allow you to transmit on non licensed frequencies if there is an emergency.

The really good powerful VHF radios like the Icom require an FCC license. Pretty standard for business radios - these are used by local trucking fleets, warehouses, inside a refinery like mine, etc. As with most things - quality costs more money. For those that need it, it's worth it.

Unless your VHF radio stays on MURS frequencies only - MURS unlicensed means the operator of the radios does not need to file directly with the FCC to use the radio. The three frequency bands used for this in the U.S. are the 900 MHz, 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz.

VHF Marine radios and frequencies are specifically NOT allowed on land, so watch out for that. I live on the Gulf Coast where it's common to own both a boat and a jeep. The coast guard is picky about this for obvious safety reasons. Probably not something folks in the desert deal with.

The tricky thing is that it doesn't requires a license to BUY a radio. But you "may" need one to USE your radio. So it's very easy to break the law without realizing it. Note you only need a license to TRANSMIT. Receiving is always free. You can listen all you want to any frequency.

HAM - requires a license and you must pass a test. Lots of power, lots of options.

GMRS - requires a license, but no test. Just pay a fee and it's good for 10 years. Used to be $35, now it's $70 I think. And It's good for all your family (which might be the entire county in some locations - grin). max 5 watts on some frequencies, 50 on others.

FRS - no license. Max 2 watts on some frequencies, 0.5 watts on others so watch out. They are great for talking to the folks in your convoy if you stay within 1/2 a mile or so. Great for spotters which by definition are "line of sight." Handy for kids, camping, cruise ships, keeping track of youngsters at the mall. VERY HANDY during a disaster when cell phones are either down or saturated with too many users. We used them as we evacuated for a hurricane. I have 5 kids, 3 were teenage drivers, and we evacuated in 5 cars 100 miles in heavy traffic. Cell phones weren't reliable. FRS helped keep everyone aware and safe and coordinated bathroom stops, etc.

Note: GMRS and FRS share frequencies so you could mix them in a group and still talk to each other. BUT - the difference in power output can make the GMRS users REALLY LOUD, and the FRS users "really soft" so you are constantly playing with the volume in a mixed environment.

POWER - WATTS - more is better right? For handhelds you'll get longer battery life if you transmit with less power. You are also less likely to have cross talk interference with some other group if you are using low power. Plus, using the lowest power you need is a tread lightly nice thing to do. So it might make sense to have some low power FRS radios just for spotters and other line of sight work.

That way if you have a BIG convoy you can designate a high power frequency to talk longer distance from the front to the back - and designate a separate low power FRS frequency for spotters. And maybe a 3rd frequency for the kids to use, etc. a 4th for B.S. and trashtalk, LOL.

Which brings us back to the original TL:DR = buy the same radios as your buddies are already using.
Jesus. I would put money on you having zero friends.

This is why I stopped getting to deep into this shit. Its tiring, over complicated and I can feel the testosterone leaving my body the more I read on it.
It's funny, since posting this up I actually got all my buddies to get the Boafeng since it's simple and intuitive. Still want an Icom or something like it eventually but same here. $60 later and I can hear everyone in the convoy loud and clear. Good enough for me 😂

Internet forums are interesting.

1. There are folks with expertise who make a post to share that expertise with others.
2. There are folks who are looking to learn.
3. There are counter experts who disagree (politely and with new info) with #1 above.

at which point
#4. Person #1 has an interesting discussion with #3 and often #2s and we all learn something.

or
5. Person #1 gets pissy because somebody had the audacity to disagree with them.

and then there are
6. Folks who just like to complain, but they add no experience, expertise, nor value.
7. Folks who are intimidated by those with expertise. So they ridicule.

Plus
8. folks who make sarcastic remarks but they are on point and funny.

--------------
The world is a better place and the forum is more productive when we stay in category 1-4 above.
Plus #8. Well placed humor is good.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, it can be difficult to avoid #5. I've done it, not something to be proud of. If you've been on the internet news groups (before the WWW existed) you understand the term "flame war." We learned that without being able to see your face and hear your tone of voice, what you intended as #8 funny sarcasm in good taste - can sound like #6,7.

Being polite costs nothing - and is a sign of strength.
Acknowledging the expertise of others costs nothing - and is a sign of your strength.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

1. There are folks with expertise who make a post to share that expertise with others.
3. There are counter experts who disagree (politely and with new info) with #1 above.

at which point
#4. Person #1 has an interesting discussion with #3 and often #2s and we all learn something.

or
5. Person #1 gets pissy because somebody had the audacity to disagree with them.

and then there are
6. Folks who just like to complain, but they add no experience, expertise, nor value.

Plus

--------------
The world is a better place and the forum is more productive when we stay in category 1-4 above.

And in the spirit of full disclosure, it can be difficult to avoid #5. I've done it, not something to be proud of. If you've been on the internet news groups (before the WWW existed) you understand the term "flame war." We learned that without being able to see your face and hear your tone of voice, what you intended as #8 funny sarcasm in good taste - can sound like #6,7.

Acknowledging the expertise of others costs nothing - and is a sign of your strength.

at which point

or

and then there are

Plus

--------------

Uhhh, cool story bro.

Welcome to Wayalife?

Top Bottom