Question about Automatics

sc_rhino

I currently have a manual with the rubicon transfer case and 5.13s and when I am going down a steep decline I just put it in first and let it walk down with out ever touching the brakes. With an automatic I know you can force it to stay in 1st but was curious if you still have to press the brakes. I'm considering doing a V8/Auto Swap. I just see people with autos and always pressing the brakes going downhill, and was just wondering.

Thanks.

DemCoconuts

^^^^This - Plus shifting into first in high or low will hold pretty good. If you are in auto the tranny will shift on its own into second which might cause you to hit the brakes.

Clarification for those not use to autos: If you use the gear selector on an auto, it limits how high the transmission will shift, so if you place it in first, it won't shift out of first. If you leave it in second or higher, then it will.

My 09 2 door decends quite slowly while in first and 4L. I rarely need to tap the brakes, and when I do it's usually for a little more control over technical obstacles on the way down, or down long declines (like 500m, etc). This is with the X
/Sport transfer case, so 2.7ish:1 ratio. Can only imagine it with the 4:1.

I've been told that comparably a standard is slower, but I have no standard experience in a Jeep go compare.

sc_rhino

Clarification for those not use to autos: If you use the gear selector on an auto, it limits how high the transmission will shift, so if you place it in first, it won't shift out of first. If you leave it in second or higher, then it will.

My 09 2 door decends quite slowly while in first and 4L. I rarely need to tap the brakes, and when I do it's usually for a little more control over technical obstacles on the way down, or down long declines (like 500m, etc). This is with the X
/Sport transfer case, so 2.7ish:1 ratio. Can only imagine it with the 4:1.

I've been told that comparably a standard is slower, but I have no standard experience in a Jeep go compare.

Thanks. That's what I was hoping for. And I too have to use the brakes when going over a big drop.

When I watch people go down a slippery decent and they lock up the tires I'm thinking if only they put it in 1st to slow them down instead of using the brakes.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If you use hill descent control, it limits the speed of the Jeep to a predetermined speed, depending on what gear you choose. Works quite well IMO. The speeds are listed in the owners manual under the hill descent control section.

Top Bottom