Pursesnatcher's Rhino build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pursesnatcher

After months of searching, I picked up this 2016 Wrangler Unlimited in Rhino Clear Coat with 856 miles on it. It was "used", the dealership bought it from a lease which they claimed was a soldier that had left the country to serve. Whether this was true or not, I'm not sure (they'll tell you anything at the dealership...) but regardless I felt like I got a pretty decent deal. Here are some photos the day I drove it from Louisville, KY!

BXdIy9fl.jpg

DrnJpAAl.jpg

----
EDIT: Change of build plans, thanks to research and member suggestions!

Updating this week. - C
----
I'm sure this will change, but these are just the mods that I've been dreaming up more than anything.

I'm about to move to Denver next week, but before I leave I've ordered basically everything for the 35in setup (minus the armor), so that will be going on next Monday! I'll also throw up some photos of the lighting setup I did this weekend. I'm really happy with the Baja Design products!

Let the fun begin:cool:

Last edited:
Welcome to Colorado! A few thoughts on the plan if I may...

Unless Phase 1 and Phase 2 are years apart, I'd skip a good chunk of Phase 1.

Phase 1 armor: looks good. Also consider some skid plates. Colorado gets pretty remote pretty fast.

Phase 1 suspension: skip it and save money towards Phase 2

Phase 1 Wheels/tires: same as WJCO said. We get lots of snow. Closest I'm going to a mud terrain is Cooper SST Pros but a better all year tire would be KO2s or Ridge Grapplers.

Phase 1 Other: re-gearing twice sucks. It's a $1000 for your Jeep to maintain it's performance. You want to do this as few times as possible (ideally just once). I'd stick with smaller tires and save your money for 37s.

Phase 2 Suspension: I just put the JKonnect on and am a fan so far. Happy to let you test drive it if you like. Wes, at Trail Jeeps, will do the same for you.

Phase 2 Wheels/tires: great choices.

Phase 2 Armor: be sure you and the rest of your family are all prepared to pull two pins every time you want to open the gate. For me, that's super annoying when there are other carriers that will open with the gate.

Phase 2 Drive: 5.13 is the same gear ratio I'm planning on doing. The PR44 is a great choice.

Overall: I wouldn't build a rig for 35s when you know you want 37s. Loss of time and money. Save it and you'll be on 37s sooner. Take the time to get to know Colorado this summer. Lots you can do with your Jeep as is. Save your money and try to be ready for the Black Friday sale in the Fall to scoop up some of those bigger ticket items.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Nice build list. One thing regarding the tires coming from a fellow Coloradan, really research tires. Mud tires aren't the best in snow and ice, so for a DD, just giving you a heads up. Also, if you haven't seen this thread already, spod ethics blow: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?15125-sPOD-Honesty-Integrity-and-the-Lack-Thereof. Just an FYI.

I was kind of afraid the M/T's would propose an issue with the snow. It's not set in stone yet, but I'm getting the Firestones for $160 a tire. They're actually discontinuing their current M/T and releasing a new version this year (my father works for Bridgestone) so through him I can get them so cheap.

I was initially planning on an aggressive A/T like the Ridge Grappler, but for the cost it's hard to pass up.

Welcome to Colorado! A few thoughts on the plan if I may...

Overall: I wouldn't build a rig for 35s when you know you want 37s. Loss of time and money. Save it and you'll be on 37s sooner. Take the time to get to know Colorado this summer. Lots you can do with your Jeep as is. Save your money and try to be ready for the Black Friday sale in the Fall to scoop up some of those bigger ticket items.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Thanks for the feedback here! I've taken it into consideration with this build. I spilt the phases up because I don't think I'll be able to do the full on build for a while. However my plan B is to do a slower build and skip 35's altogether. Heck I may not even know it yet, but I may not even need 37's!

Stay tuned the build list is subjected to changes as I haven't officially pulled the trigger on anything yet.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom