Pulling a hybrid camper

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I would stick to a popup camper.
My JKU has 5.13 gears there is no way I would pull a 3500 pound camper very far. The wind pushes mine around without anything behind much less with a high side camper.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Just to emphasize, "NO F'in Way". You'll probably end up turned over on the side of the highway. I wouldn't tow that sucker with my 4 door. Dry hitch weight is 450? That's "RV" speak for over 500 pounds when you add propane to the tanks, etc.

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 3195
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 450
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 3950

Since you're renting, as mentioned, stick to a pop up. Jeeps are limited to 36sq/ft frontal area for towing anyway. I break that with my camper, but it's a fiberglass "egg" and is much more streamlined than an 8' wide square box.

Don't forget you'll need an electric brake controller and a 7 pin trailer connector if it has brakes. Technosha P3 controller is nice.

View attachment 307294

View attachment 307295

Last edited:

prionic1

Not trying to hijack, but thought this is actually part of the same discussion.

This thread is very relevant to my interests as I've just "inherited" a similar trailer that I believe the dry weight is 2,900 lbs... not sure what to do with the thing right now... I'm not really wanting to tow the thing with the JKU, but only have a Subaru Forester as another vehicle. I am 100% noob to towing anything. Never towed a trailer before. I'm thinking more to either buy a truck to tow it or sell it and get a smaller "Jeepable/Off Road" trailer... but my wife wants to keep it. Any advice or ideas in relation to this as well as the OP's question would be helpful.

It's a 17' Single Axle Travel Trailer (Camper) with electronic brakes.

The tag on the side of the trailer says:

CAMPER WEIGHT IS KG (2995 LBS) MAXIMUM WHEN IN CONTAINS STANDARD EQUIPMENT,
PLUS LITERS(29 GAL) OF WATER,​

PLUS KG(40 LBS) OF BOTTLED GAS, AND​
CUBIC METERS ( CUBIC FT) REFRIGERATOR (OR ICE BOX​
WITH KG( LBS) OF ICE, AS APPLICABLE). CONSULT OWNER'S MANUAL
(OR DATA SHEET AS APPLICABLE) FOR WEIGHTS OF ADDITIONAL OR OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

17 foot Trailer.jpg

This thread is very relevant to my interests as I've just "inherited" a similar trailer that I believe the dry weight is 2,900 lbs... not sure what to do with the thing right now... I'm not really wanting to tow the thing with the JKU, but only have a Subaru Forester as another vehicle. I am 100% noob to towing anything. Never towed a trailer before. I'm thinking more to either buy a truck to tow it or sell it and get a smaller "Jeepable/Off Road" trailer... but my wife wants to keep it. Any advice or ideas in relation to this as well as the OP's question would be helpful.

View attachment 307303

You have a 4 door so more wheelbase and more vehicle weight it’s doable, you’ll be maxing the capacity loaded but it has brakes which will also help (you’ll need a brake controller installed). Antisway hitch will help you a lot as well, wranglers have low tow ratings because of the tail wagging the dog so to speak, id you don’t drive like a teenager you’ll be alright, piss through gas though.

prionic1

I forgot to mention that it is coming with an anti-sway hitch system... all in all, the impressions I’m getting is that yeah it SHOULD be fine... I think it’s just unnecessarily putting a lot of stress on the vehicle that I don’t want to put on it.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

View attachment 307303

You can tow that trailer with a JKU. You need a weight distribution hitch & anti-sway bars. I have two anti-sway bars on mine.

https://youtu.be/mkewkvU8Ot8

https://youtu.be/GWJ4Iy6ek24

black pearl

Hooked
I pulled a 3700lb trailer 600 miles with my jku. I have 4:10 and a manual transmission. It was definitely interesting. Granted I have a fair amount of experience towing, I was still worried with the amount of weight. I had trailer breaks, load distribution hitch. I also was running after market suspension (rancho 9000 cranked up to 9) though I was impressed with how it handed it, I wouldn't do it again and definitely not in a two door. There were a few times I hit some rough spots and it started changing lanes, without my permission. IMG_2939.JPG

Top Bottom