Proper Backspacing for 37's

Super T

Planning on upgrading to 37s, with new front axle I might add. Just wanted to know is a 17x9 rim with 4.5 backspace enough to run a 37/12.5/R17?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Planning on upgrading to 37s, with new front axle I might add. Just wanted to know is a 17x9 rim with 4.5 backspace enough to run a 37/12.5/R17?

Thanks in advance

I would go for a 4" or less bs. With 4.5 your going to have to adjust your steer stops to make up for it

Super T

Thank you, just wanted to ensure I wasn't going to get the wrong ones. Time to do some more searching.

JAGS

Hooked
You can run 4.5 with spacers, which should give you the clearance needed. At 4.5 you may also hit your sway bar end links. That was my issue and spacers cleared up any issues.

The problem I faced was not wanting to hand over the coin for beadlocks. At 4" of BS, there are limited choices in wheels that weren't beadlocks. I saved a bit going with a 4.5 wheel and still have a solid looking choice. At least I'm happy with the look. :yup:

aermotor

If you run a 12.5" wide instead of 13.5" (like Toyos) it seems like the only issue you may have is on the LCAs?

I have 4.5" backspacing with 4" EVO plush coils and 2" coil spacers on a Teraflex short arm lift. When looking at my current 35s at full lock, it seems like I will have room to clear the LCAs with 37s, but guess I won't really know till I try and fit one on there?

There are many inches of clearance left to go, but maybe the 37s are deceiving until you actually get them on there...

It's at stuff and turn that most rubs occur. Looking at ride height w will not tell you much.

I have 4" BS and rub the grill (a bit) and frame (hard) at stuff and turn.

VScott

I have found an XD807 Strike rim for my 35s as I don't want to run spacers. This rim has a 4.06" BS that should work for me. Wished there was a web site that you could search for "all rims with ___ backspace or offset."

aermotor

Well, the 37" KM2s fit with only 4.5" backspace and have many inches to spare. Like, tons of room. Not even close to the frame or control arms. Not sure what all the fuss is about as in my case they are perfect. Even if these were 13.5" and a true 37" I would have plenty of room.

There may be issues at flex, I will have to find out.

CJW

Well, the 37" KM2s fit with only 4.5" backspace and have many inches to spare. Like, tons of room. Not even close to the frame or control arms. Not sure what all the fuss is about as in my case they are perfect. Even if these were 13.5" and a true 37" I would have plenty of room.

Flex it out with steering wheel cranked; you'll run out of room quick.

vvvvvvvvvv

It's at stuff and turn that most rubs occur. Looking at ride height will not tell you much.

I have 4" BS and rub the grill (a bit) and frame (hard) at stuff and turn.

Top Bottom