PR60 vs XD60 for 37's

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
There's no question that the XD60 is a superior axle. The question you need to ask, is it really necessary for a set of 37's? As Steve from Dynatrac has pointed out, the cost of a PR60 is now a LOT cheaper than it was being that the XD60 is now available and if cost is a concern, I can tell you that the PR60 under Rubicat is the one that we had on Moby before and it's still serving us well.

I feel that both axles are very capable of getting 37's down the trail just fine, but which gears will I enjoy more 4.88 or 5.13? I think this is were I am mainly stuck. I was thinking 5.13's this whole time, but this darn XD60 threw me off. At what point do I flip a coin?

Yes, a full float PR60 running 9/16" racing studs with a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

I have a PR44 up front, stock 44 rear, and 1.5" spidertrax spacers front and rear. I am looking to do a PR60 full float rear later. At the same time, I'll probably do beadlocks. What would be the most efficient way to do this - 5x5.5 wheel adapters for the front?

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Also, I might add that I was looking at a semi-float mainly to keep bolt pattern the same. Im not dead set on it, but it would make at least one thing easier

Also, I might add that I was looking at a semi-float mainly to keep bolt pattern the same. Im not dead set on it, but it would make at least one thing easier

I hear you. This is my dilemma as well. I just love the ability to swap out an axle shaft so easily on the trails with a full float set up. What to do, what to do

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

In that case why not get a Dyntrac Trail60 instead? It is significantly cheaper.

True, you still would run the risk of bending a flange but you would still have the strenght of the housing and internals. Plus you can get one with the PR60 housing.

There are some other key differences so I recommend contacting Dynatrac again for information.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I feel that both axles are very capable of getting 37's down the trail just fine, but which gears will I enjoy more 4.88 or 5.13? I think this is were I am mainly stuck. I was thinking 5.13's this whole time, but this darn XD60 threw me off. At what point do I flip a coin?

I would NOT waste any money on 4.88's. You WILL regret it. Does that help make your decision for you? :crazyeyes:

I have a PR44 up front, stock 44 rear, and 1.5" spidertrax spacers front and rear. I am looking to do a PR60 full float rear later. At the same time, I'll probably do beadlocks. What would be the most efficient way to do this - 5x5.5 wheel adapters for the front?

Your full float PR60 will be wider than your PR44. You will want to run 1" wheel adapters not only to allow you to run 5x5.5 bolt pattern wheels up front but also because they will help widen your front axle width to match your rear. This is the exact setup we're running on Rubicat now.

Exodus 4x4

this quote appears to be fore semi-float. if your going 60 why not get full float?

Because I already have a ton of money invested in bead locks at 5x5. Didn't want to spend the money buying new wheels. I only plan on running 37's and feel that a semi-float is perfectly capable of doing that. In fact, Steve was the one to tell me that a full float was NOT necessary with 37's and that it all really depends on how you wheel. Is a full float stronger? Of course it is, but that doesn't mean I need to spend the money on it. The only reason I'm going to upgrade to a 60 rear at all is for peace of mind when I ultimately do a LS swap.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I hear you. This is my dilemma as well. I just love the ability to swap out an axle shaft so easily on the trails with a full float set up. What to do, what to do

Your full float PR60 will be wider than your PR44. You will want to run 1" wheel adapters not only to allow you to run 5x5.5 bolt pattern wheels up front but also because they will help widen your front axle width to match your rear. This is the exact setup we're running on Rubicat now.

This is my exact plan also. :brows:

Thanks Eddie. I see some 1.5" and 1" adapters out there. How much wider is the full float rear 60 vs the PR44? You mentioned 1", but would 1.5" be better, worse, or no big diff between the two?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie. I see some 1.5" and 1" adapters out there. How much wider is the full float rear 60 vs the PR44? You mentioned 1", but would 1.5" be better, worse, or no big diff between the two?

It doesn't really make a difference. I run 1" spacers because that's the minimum thickness you should use and the 2" extra was all you really need to get your axle width about the same as the rear.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
In that case why not get a Dyntrac Trail60 instead? It is significantly cheaper.

True, you still would run the risk of bending a flange but you would still have the strenght of the housing and internals. Plus you can get one with the PR60 housing.

There are some other key differences so I recommend contacting Dynatrac again for information.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into this

I would NOT waste any money on 4.88's. You WILL regret it. Does that help make your decision for you? :crazyeyes:

Thank you, your opinion definitely carries some weight

This. Def go 5.13. I went 4.88 and 37s, and while it is still a decent set up on and off the trails, I wish I would have went with 5.13.

Thanks for the first hand, appreciate your input

sc_rhino

Because I already have a ton of money invested in bead locks at 5x5. Didn't want to spend the money buying new wheels. I only plan on running 37's and feel that a semi-float is perfectly capable of doing that. In fact, Steve was the one to tell me that a full float was NOT necessary with 37's and that it all really depends on how you wheel. Is a full float stronger? Of course it is, but that doesn't mean I need to spend the money on it. The only reason I'm going to upgrade to a 60 rear at all is for peace of mind when I ultimately do a LS swap.

I understand your concerns as I'm in the same boat. My friend who has the same setup as me, PR44/Trail 60, LS3, broke his rear axle shaft with a 37 in tire. He already has ordered a PR80 and I'm thinking about the same.

Jackal01

That's weird. Steve with Dynatrac quoted me the XD60 with an ARB and 5.13's not to long ago.

Same. I have 2 separate quotes that list 5.13 in the XD60 for semi and full floats. Steve and I talked about gear options on the phone also.

Glad this thread was started...subd for the info.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
FWIW I just bent a flange on my PR60 semi-float rear this past weekend. Think hard before you're spending this much money on an axle and only go semi-float.
Of course hindsight is 20/20 but I now question my choice. If you do go this route I'd get a spare axle so you're not screwed out on the trail. :twocents:

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
FWIW I just bent a flange on my PR60 semi-float rear this past weekend. Think hard before you're spending this much money on an axle and only go semi-float.
Of course hindsight is 20/20 but I now question my choice. If you do go this route I'd get a spare axle so you're not screwed out on the trail. :twocents:

Exactly. Of course I'm no where near ready for a 60 rear but seeing jerry bent hid flange the way he did this weekend, has me shopping for spare shafts because him having an extra was a life saver this weekend for his nice 4 hour drive home.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

This is worth a lot and thank you for sharing. It is people with first hand personal experience that make this forum great.

rogerk93

I received a quote from dynatrac for the xd60 and 5:13 gears is in fact offered but you will not get the 10inch ring and pinion you will be getting the 60 ring and pinion.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom