Pitted windshield...need advice...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Long story, but the short version is I had to drive through a nasty sand storm yesterday. Biblically nasty as in I was expecting frogs to start falling from the sky. :)

Unfortunately the sand did a number on the jeep. It essentially sandblasted the paint of my c gussets.

image-3068169594.jpg

And my windshield is wrecked. Here is a shot from this morning facing the sun.

image-2114485223.jpg

Rattle can will take care of the missing paint. But does anyone know of a product that can take the pits out? Or do I have to get a new windshield?

Thanks!

That's horrible. I drove through a sand storm like that in AZ a few years back and was told it needed to be replaced. Luckily at the time my insurance covered windshield damage and it was at no cost to me. I tried searching for windshield repair but couldn't find anything. Sorry :idontknow:

I ad a similar issus on mine and i used the rain-x cleaner then i used the original it helped a lot, and a friend told me that some good wax could fill in the holes to make it better

I ad a similar issus on mine and i used the rain-x cleaner then i used the original it helped a lot, and a friend told me that some good wax could fill in the holes to make it better

a lot of sand storms in Ontario eh? :cheesy: <pardon my pre-school, self-indulging humor>

hrmm... if you can't get the pits cleaned up to your satisfaction, head to Fast Glass on Greg St. They replaced mine at a beyond reasonable price. In fact, my Jeep is going back to get another windshield in the very near future. I too, hit a major sand storm when I was driving it back from Off Road Evolution back in November and took a rock about the size of a marble off the windshield which created a crack across my entire glass.

Hey MTG, sorry to get off topic but on my phone your icon looks like your driving over a giant butt crack Lmao

Pretty sure it's toast. Just tried some cleaner with a razor blade and even steel wool to no avail. There are literally thousands of tiny little cracks/chips in it.

Last edited:
Smizar said:
I thought it was cleavage... Lol

LOL! I think you are wrong and here is why...it's actually Sharkey driving and me taking the photo. If I was standing on a set of boobs that big, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed. ;)

MTG said:
LOL! I think you are wrong and here is why...it's actually Sharkey driving and me taking the photo. If I was standing on a set of boobs that big, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed. ;)

And I would have been "motorboating", not driving.

I'll be getting new windshield soon so I'll let you know how much it costs here in Reno.

On previous cars it's been $0 or minimal deductible. I'm just a little bummed about losing the little vinyl jeep in the corner.

MTG said:
On previous cars it's been $0 or minimal deductible. I'm just a little bummed about losing the little vinyl jeep in the corner.

Yep and the grill in the middle. You can buff glass, It might take it out

I have to ask...since this sand storm did this kind of damage to your C gussets and your windshield what does the paint on the front grill and front edge of the hood look like? Yikes!!!! :icon_crazy:

TX_JK said:
I have to ask...since this sand storm did this kind of damage to your C gussets and your windshield what does the paint on the front grill and front edge of the hood look like? Yikes!!!! :icon_crazy:

The paint is surprisingly fine. From what I've read the glass is much softer than the paint (other than the spray paint I used one the c's).

a little late to the party but wow, that sucks. :icon_crazy:

nothing worse that a pitted windshield. forutnately or unfortunately, i get a stone to crack my windshields often enough that i just get to replace them before they get too bad.

Since moving to Colorado in February I have gone thru 3 windshields. Insurance doesn't cover them here in Colorado at 100%. It cost me $100 each time I change them. I have two cracks in it now and just said $&%^ it.

Luckily there's no sand storms here, but we have tons of construction going on and everyday I manage to get behind the guy hauling away rocks and dirt. :eek:

Top Bottom