Picked up a project

el_chupo_

Found this little guy at an airport a couple months ago when my dad and I went to pick up a 2 post lift. This belonged to one of the owners there, who had got the little 4cyl engine running, and then let it sit.

After a little bit of talk about cars and projects, he offered this up at a price we couldnt deny, so we agreed to buy it. Just had to wait for him to fly back into town and be available to pick it up.

Yesterday we met with him and trailered it home, we are still unsure about what we will do.

It is a 1970 Kaiser Mail Jeep, a DJ-5a. has a Chevy 4cyl, backed by a 2spd PowerGlide.

All of the glass is in place, and most of the vehicle appears original, though there is some bondo in one corner, and it looks like someone may have trimmed the rear fenders.

We are not sure what we are going to do with it yet, but first order is to get it started and see where we are at.

Keep the little "Iron Duke" 4 cyl. There's still lots of hot rod parts for it available to punch up serious reliable power. Sell the Powerglide to someone with a '58 Impala. After that maybe a Parade vehicle or total gonzo into a killer trail CJ? Best of luck with whatever you decide.:thumb:

Our (my dad, myself, and a family friend/mechanic) first spitball was a 350 with the powerglide behind it, drop the front about 3", chop the top and seat brackets to get that seat lower in the body, and finish cutting out the rear fenders and fitting some wide racing slicks. Then some wheelie bars and start having some fun...

Reality will be dictated by how easy it is to get the 2.5l running, some updates to the ignition, and decide if this is where money needs to go. We may just end up getting it running and selling and trying to find another Willys. Also may become the cabin jeep at my parents place, or something similar with another seat for the other side.

Would be a heck of a dog hauler too, bet they would love it.

My grandparents had three of these growing up and they were in great shape. Pretty sure they finally ended up rotting in the field. I plan to look for them when I head back there this summer, but these might be my favorite jeep.

Top Bottom