Openable skylights in Freedom Panels

jscherb

I've been working on a design for openable skylights in Freedom Panels. I know there are two companies out there offering Freedom Panels with skylights, but neither of those can be opened, and I wanted mine to be openable.

A modified Freedom Panel with a skylight installed:

SkylightPanel_zpsobcnoyrb.jpg

Some shots in place on a hardtop. Since I've got a custom hardtop on my JK that doesn't use Freedom Panels, I've set up this factory hardtop in a spare room to do these photos...

PlexiSkylightClosed1_zpsb9erbhz1.jpg

PlexiSkylightOpen1_zpszfh0pmlr.jpg

Some inside views:

PlexiSkylightClosed4_zps7c26glcc.jpg

PlexiSkylightOpen3_zps6bzyxamj.jpg

This hardtop also has another project of mine installed - quick-release removable windows...

QRWindow4_zps7nzdf3oq.jpg

Robertcrav

Cool ideas... I wonder how much wind noise you'd get from the freedom panel skylights since they are not flush

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

jscherb

Wow, how many tops do you have and why do you have so many?

At the moment, 4. The top pictured in this thread is a 2-door top I got for next to nothing, I bought it to use for experimenting with different modification ideas for factory hardtops. I don't have a 2 door JK but the top was worth buying just for experimenting with. I also have an early model (narrow hatch) JKU hardtop I picked up to use for dimensions I needed when building my custom JKU hardtop. And I've got the factory top (wide hatch) that came with my 2013 JKU. I haven't used either factory JKU hardtop since I finished building my custom hardtop.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Why is everything you make so cool lol. I remember reading one of the issues from the other company that made the skylight freedom panels was they leak or something around those lines. I think this is a great idea however for some extra ventilation. I would be interested in the removable rear glass to be able to keep my hardtop on but take the windows out.

jscherb

Have you invented a quick release hinge for the back window? I like the removable side glass idea

Not exactly, but I have done a different type of "quick release" option for factory hardtops... if a half door can have a soft uppers, why can't a tailgate have a soft upper? Answer: it can. Here are a few photos of some uppers for JK tailgates. In this first photo I'm removing a soft upper that I was testing with the factory hardtop. Removes very quickly, 4 wing nuts. If you look closely, you might be able to see that this one's got a zip-up window just like half door uppers do.

SoftBarnDoorInstalled4_zpsflb09ivv.jpg

These next photos show another "soft barn door" color-matched to my custom hardtop. I call it a barn door because the tailgate and upper open as one, like a barn door.

SoftBarnDoorDoneOpen_zpsvm3d6nds.jpg

SoftBarnDoorDone11_zpsnv8mtwfl.jpg

I didn't sew the spice one above with a zip-up window, that window is fixed.

And for the winter, there's a hard upper with wiper:

CoyoteSpareCover4_zpsxjgprmix.jpg

All of the above with with the factory hardtop. Here's a hard barn door I made for a friend's later model JKU with the wide hatch. It's still in primer in this photo, when this photo was taken he hadn't decided if he wanted to paint it black to match the hardtop or Anvil to match the body.

IMG_0266-799535.JPG

jscherb

Why is everything you make so cool lol.
Because it wouldn't be any fun to make things that were not cool? :) (sorry, couldn't resist)

I remember reading one of the issues from the other company that made the skylight freedom panels was they leak or something around those lines.
What I've implemented on the skylight uses very standard automotive vent window hardware and weatherstripping, stuff that's been working leak-free on vehicles for at least the last 50 years. It's also the same as I implemented on the motorized vent windows of my custom hardtop, and they don't leak either, so I'm very confident in these skylights.

I think this is a great idea however for some extra ventilation.

I was very surprised how much vent windows in the back of a hardtop improve the flow-through ventiliation, the roof skylights would probably do the same. These are the ones in my custom top, opening them really improves the airflow:

FinalVentWindows_zpsnpmwztlb.jpg

I would be interested in the removable rear glass to be able to keep my hardtop on but take the windows out.

One of my other ideas for the removable windows is a cargo compartment that can be swapped in place of the window, something like this:

RemovableCompartment1_zpshubjgxac.jpg

I've already done a quick prototype using a standard RV-style cargo hatch (but no compartment), I'm thinking of doing something much more factory looking than this for the full compartment project.

HatchSidePanel4_zpseijzy5ms.jpg

jscherb

Cool ideas... I wonder how much wind noise you'd get from the freedom panel skylights since they are not flush

There is one company that sells modified Freedom Panels with skylights, and even though theirs don't open like mine do, theirs do sit above the roof level as well, here's a photo from their web site. I've searched, but I don't find any reference to wind noise from people who have that product.

JeeTops2_zpswa8z4qa4.jpg

Kalums

Why!?!? Why do you keep teasing me with your ridiculous ingenuity? I don't have the tools, $$$, or know how to do this kind of thing... But dang it I'm going to get one of your "custom" hardtops one these days...good job btw. 👍👍👍

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app
Edited : By the way I drive a 13 also... So your safari top would just plop right on snug as a bug... I'm just saying... 😆

Last edited:

jscherb

The Freedom panel skylights are part of a design experiment to see how many useful mods can be done to a factory hardtop by a DIY-er. I recently did this video to show some of the mods...

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Forgive me but, if I remember right aren't you in the business of R&D? Perhaps this video is less of a DIY'ers guide and more a check out what I have made?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jscherb

Forgive me but, if I remember right aren't you in the business of R&D? Perhaps this video is less of a DIY'ers guide and more a check out what I have made?

This is a hobby project, I not selling anything in the video. I have posted DIY instructions for most of the mods in the video, but since they're on another forum and due to the rules of this forum I can't post links to that info here. Since this is a show and tell area, I thought it would be appropriate to show and tell a little bit. Isn't "check out what I have made" the definition of "show and tell"? If I've got that wrong and my post is not appropriate, I apologize and I ask the moderators to delete this post or delete this entire thread.

Top Bottom