On Board Air System

Dashyl

Hey Everyone!!

I'm purchasing an onboard air system sometime this week and want to install it before it gets cold outside, I was looking at the ARB high output air system but after reading some reviews it doesnt seem to be what I'll need when I go to 37's (correct me if i'm wrong)... I've been looking at the viair Ultra duty system with air tank and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this system. I have looked into a York system but I feel a Viair system would be more straight forward.

As of right now the system will only really be used to air up my tires and maybe run a impact wrench, but in the future it will be used for lockers so this system will have to withstand the test of time!! any help you guys can give me would be great!! Thanks in advance!!

-Dashyl

If you dont have air lockers right now, why not just a tire compressor(i got mine from wally world for 60 bucks), and an 18V battery impact drill? You'd get better use out of it... All the guys in my group use their OBA to inflate their tires and they are there for a LOOONNNNGGG time, and some have been known to crap out their air compressors doing it. Thats why I went the route I did.

Viair makes some bad ass little compressors. But it will take some time to fill 37's on a trail, using air tools with them might not work so well.

I've got a 20lb co2 tank in my ToyHauler that I use on occasion and works beautifully. I'm thinking if trying to trade it off for a 10lber to run in the jeep since I have a compressor in the trailer.

A c02 tank will fill your tires and run any air tool you can carry in your jeep.

Co2 tanks are great- very fast, can run power tools- main con= never know when for sure they will run out, and then you are done until you get it refilled. and it costs everytime to refill($12-20)

Electric compressors with a tank can do what you are looking to do, but they will take a LOOONNNNGGGG time to fill up 37's.

Belt driven York setup is a little more complex to setup initially compared to a viair system, but the rewards are well worth it.

Electric compressors avg 1.5 cfm, York is 10.0 cfm

i fill up all 4 of my 36's at once with a york and 3 gallon tank on my tj in 3 minutes.

and then i have to fill everyone else's tires :doh:

Where are you going to mount the tank on your '12. I believe viair has prototypes but I don't like the placement.

^ didn't realize you had a 2012, the york bracket setup from offroadonly is $529 for 2012-13 :(

the ORO bracket for 2007-2011 is $239
York 210 from a junkyard will be $20-$100 depending on if you get it with a clutch.

where is viair placing the tank?

Currently I am running the ARB twin air compressor. I can fill all four 37" tires from 12psi to 32 psi in 2 minutes each tire.
the last trip i took my son with his jeep on 35's. I inflated my 37's and his 35 and the unit never stopped working. It never got hot enough to shut off. I mounted mine under the hood just so you get the idea of how good this little unit is. Not to mention the ARB customer service is top notch.

At first i ran a 20lbs tank then a 15lbs tank. Yes it was great inflating fast as hell but it was pointless. We all sit around waiting for eachother any ways. Not to mention the pain in the ass of filling it once it empties.

Currently I am running the ARB twin air compressor. I can fill all four 37" tires from 12psi to 32 psi in 2 minutes each tire.
the last trip i took my son with his jeep on 35's. I inflated my 37's and his 35 and the unit never stopped working. It never got hot enough to shut off. I mounted mine under the hood just so you get the idea of how good this little unit is. Not to mention the ARB customer service is top notch.

At first i ran a 20lbs tank then a 15lbs tank. Yes it was great inflating fast as hell but it was pointless. We all sit around waiting for eachother any ways. Not to mention the pain in the ass of filling it once it empties.

I'm guessing your running the 12 volt not the 24 volt.

I cant find installation instructions for the viair system's tank and since i drive a '12 the mounting bracket for the compressor looks a little weird once mounted, thats not really an issue though lol, the issue is it has to be able to air up to 37's and run lockers and since it seems to be a pain to air up tires i might put my purchase on hold and keep looking

How did you mount the ARB Twin under the hood?

Top Bottom