Oil leak- front drive shaft or front diff?

Vinnielax

IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0557.JPG

Back from a week in Moab (trip report and pictures forthcoming) and now I’m seeing a lot of oil under the front Diff. It’s not leaking from the engine above, so I followed the trail of fluid up the back of the diff and up towards the ujoint and front drive shaft. I can’t imagine the oil is going up from the diff towards the drive shaft due to wind while driving. Any quick diagnosis? Luckily I’m going to ORE on Tuesday... but should I be worried about driving the 40 miles on the freeway? Many thanks in advance.

E620E5EC-2C47-4843-B5E8-4E3E830EF45F.JPG

jorgelrod

Hooked
Driveshaft don't leak, looks like the pinion seal might need replacing. As diff fluid gets hot it expands, if you pinion seal is faulty, they oil will find a way out...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Keep an eye on the fluid level and you'll likely be OK. Clean it up and recheck. It could be as simple as your breather tube puking fluid. You can check that near the top of your lf shock absorber.

Andy5160

Hooked
Keep an eye on the fluid level and you'll likely be OK. Clean it up and recheck. It could be as simple as your breather tube puking fluid. You can check that near the top of your lf shock absorber.

^^^^^ that. Keep it clean and you will figure it out. This is what I did

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

schnauzer

I had weeping from the power steering fittings that looked just like my diff was leaking. They loosened up after wheeling, now i check them every so often and haven't seen it again. I probably didn't tighten the connections enough when I swapped out the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does is smell like? I think if you have friction modifier in your oil, it'll be pretty strong.

That being said, I think my pinion seals are leaking too.. hahaha... gotta save up enough money for new driveshafts and do it all in one go.

Good luck.

Top Bottom