Oil Cooler Replacement?

ScottofKSU

Caught the Bug
The other day while under the Jeep (2012 JK 2 Door) I noticed oil on the bell housing. Having spent a ton of time reviewing posts on this forum (thank you all very much for your wisdom!) I knew where to look. The dreaded oil cooler. However, when I look in the V of the block with a flashlight, I find really no oil. I say "really" as there is a tiny amount of wetness - enough to catch the light of my flashlight - around the portion of the oil cooler highlighted in the attached pick. So, I come to you today to get your feedback: Does this suggest the need for an immediate changing of the oil cooler - I ordered one from Quadratec and it will be here over the weekend? I am planning a 7 hour one way trip next week and am trying to figure out if I need to plan to spend my weekend pulling apart the top of the engine and replacing the oil cooler and my spark plugs as I am at 95,000 miles. I was also wondering if, given the minimal nature of the leak - though it has seemingly cost me about a 1/2 quart of oil - if some "high mileage oil" might recondition the seals to see if this is the problem or if it is the traditional cracked oil cooler issue. Oil Cooler.JPG

Last edited:
Clean everything as well as you can. Then every time you drive it inspect it so youre 100% sure where it’s coming from. I had oil dripping off my bell housing and just had a loose oil pan bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clean everything as well as you can. Then every time you drive it inspect it so youre 100% sure where it’s coming from. I had oil dripping off my bell housing and just had a loose oil pan bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I really appreciate your response! Thank you! I will spend some quality time under the Jeep this weekend to get a better understanding of what is going on. I have a new oil cooler just in case I end up needing to replace it, but will first seek to better identify where the oil is coming from. I have been monitoring my oil daily and it has stayed steady.

Top Bottom