Next Project Ideas

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Now that the JK is gone I’ve been thinking about what I want to do next. We’re a family of 5 now so I have to keep that in mind. I still have my overland trailer but am not opposed to selling depending on the route I go. Looking for opinions from the group. Not in any sort of a hurry but was hoping to get something drivable by next summer. Here’s what I’m tossing around at the moment. None of these are very budget friendly but should hold value fairly well

-Jeep Scrambler
-Not easy to come by locally especially an auto which my wife wants so she can drive it
-Would need to comply with CA emissions requirement which is a negative and many have already had the smog equipment deleted or engine swapped
-Future engine swap complicated due to CA emissions
-would install 3rd row seat
-would need to keep trailer and the 4.2 would probably make towing fairly miserable
-would be a pretty damn cool rig to have though

-Pre-1976 Bronco
-Highest cost initial vehicle purchase
-Easier to find
-No emissions bullshit to deal with
-would install front bench seat to fit us all which would be cramped but doable
-would keep trailer but towing would be less problematic with a V8
-my wife’s top pick which would make spending money on it less of a fight. 👍

-Pre-1976 Cherokee/Wagonner
-big ass rig to take on any trails
-can’t go topless
-Pre-smog makes engine options easier
-plenty of room for the fam and could sell trailer to free up garage space if desired
-wife hates the look. Thinks we’d look like the Griswolds

let me know what you guys think. Open to any other ideas as well.

WJCO

Meme King
Scrambler would be a nightmare in that state, in my opinion. And for a family of five, even with a 3rd row, just not ideal. Family of five here as well and we tossed around the idea of a scrambler. Just not realistic.

One of my goals is to eventually acquire an old Cherokee/Wagoneer project at some point in my life, so I second that option as well.

A Scrambler is cool but is essentially a longer 2 door wrangler if you think about it, badass but not too practical for your needs.

Plus, I think a bigger vehicle with a fixed roof opens up more opportunities for "overlanding" er whatever if family trips is the plan - like adding a roof rack and such. I'd imagine an SJ is a bit more easy to find as well.

I really like the one KC built for SEMA last year:
kc-hilites-lighting-the-way-at-the-2019-sema-show-2019-11-15_20-45-22_369145.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
Griswolds!

While I like the classic look, I've seen a few repainted so they don't look so "classic" and look good and ample room.

pre-76 Bronco? small as a JKU

Toyota Sequoia? we owned a 2005 4x4. It was a great family hauler and still took us places off the pavement until my ex rolled it, air bags on those are amazing.

you forgot option #4, time machine back to before kids so you can plan better lol

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Thanks for the info guys. I do think the Cherokee/Wagoneer option is the most practical and has a certain cool factor to it. We had a Wagoneer growing up so there’s some nostalgia there as well. Not sure what route we’ll end up going but thanks for your opinions.

Top Bottom