New to off roading and building skills

teamambrose74

im a girl - I have a 2021 Rubicon - I’ve been practicing at Hollister Hills near my house. I’ve taken an off roading class from The Driving Company. Ive been doing lots of Black Diamond trails, and I’m prepping my Jeep for Jeepers Jamboree 2022. I am definitely a weekend warrior. What do you suggest for a budget lift and tires?

WINspeed

In hind site, I should have excluded the brands I chose and simply shared that I chose a 3.5” lift and 37s based on what I’ve learned reading the posts and watching the videos. The brands are irrelevant. I chose them for two reasons 1) it’s what I can afford now 2) I like to support local (to me) vendors
For what it's worth, I too run those tires and absolutely love them (and have been beat up for it on here as well) I'll buy them again. It sounds like you've got a great setup. You'll be able to do any trail you want with that setup. Everything is controversial in motorsports (It can make the competition fun at times) People like different trails as they do parts and brands. Unfortunately it makes some feel better to degrade even the best thought out choice for you. Don't pay attention to the haters, pay attention to the doers and helpers. The family and community is what's important. Enjoy that Jeep, see you on the trail!

Upvote 1

rubiDave

im a girl - I have a 2021 Rubicon - I’ve been practicing at Hollister Hills near my house. I’ve taken an off roading class from The Driving Company. Ive been doing lots of Black Diamond trails, and I’m prepping my Jeep for Jeepers Jamboree 2022. I am definitely a weekend warrior. What do you suggest for a budget lift and tires?
Welcome from SoCal 👋
I wouldn't suggest anything budget if you are serious in pursuing difficult trails on a regular basis. Your Rubicon is very capable as is. I would suggest you continue developing your skills until your equipment is a limiting factor. Do you have recovery gear, winch and armor? That may be a better use of your money than a lift & tires.

Upvote 0

Bobf455

Welcome from SoCal 👋
I wouldn't suggest anything budget if you are serious in pursuing difficult trails on a regular basis. Your Rubicon is very capable as is. I would suggest you continue developing your skills until your equipment is a limiting factor. Do you have recovery gear, winch and armor? That may be a better use of your money than a lift & tires.
I agree. I used the 2” lift from Mopar with Fox Shocks it is tuned for the JL and will allow you to go all the way to 38” tires with no problem. Your Rubicon comes with a very capable setup. Lifting it and getting 35s or 37s will be a great start also reinforce your tailgate with the MP Concepts Kit. It is exactly the same as the Mopar one but it is 1/3 the price. The Rubicon is already geared low enough and has strong axles to accommodate the larger tires. Have Fun

Upvote 0

Bobf455

I agree. I used the 2” lift from Mopar with Fox Shocks it is tuned for the JL and will allow you to go all the way to 38” tires with no problem. Your Rubicon comes with a very capable setup. Lifting it and getting 35s or 37s will be a great start also reinforce your tailgate with the MP Concepts Kit. It is exactly the same as the Mopar one but it is 1/3 the price. The Rubicon is already geared low enough and has strong axles to accommodate the larger tires. Have Fun
Again, I agree. I forgot to say that I did everything else mentioned before I lifted my JL. Rock Rails, Better Bumpers, A Winch. RubiDave has the right approach.

Upvote 0

Fishfam_jku

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL from a fellow Bay Area jeeper. I would suggest getting more familiar with your current rig and only upgrading on the armor and recovery side for now. There isn't many trails your 21' Rubi wont conquer in stock form. Moab or Sierras you got a very capable setup right off the showroom floor.

If your set on lifts/tires personally I would keep it 2" on a two door and 4" on a 4 door. The new JLs let you stuff 35" or 37" tires with minimal lift. I wont suggest brands because I'm not familiar or experienced enough with many of them.

Regardless welcome and good move with the training and start at HH.

Upvote 0

teamambrose74

Welcome to WAYALIFE! To answer your question, I suppose it depends on how big of a tire you're hoping to run. 35's maybe? 37's? Let's start there.
Sorry for the delayed response. I work in a hospital, so my hours are crazy. I would like to avoid regearing - for now. I was thinking of 35s.

Upvote 0

teamambrose74

Welcome from SoCal 👋
Thank you! I am scrapping a lot, so I’m trying to work on picking better lines. I do have a recovery gear - winch, tow strap, shackles, etc.

Upvote 0

teamambrose74

Welcome to WAL from a fellow Bay Area jeeper. I would suggest getting more familiar with your current rig and only upgrading on the armor and recovery side for now. There isn't many trails your 21' Rubi wont conquer in stock form. Moab or Sierras you got a very capable setup right off the showroom floor.

If your set on lifts/tires personally I would keep it 2" on a two door and 4" on a 4 door. The new JLs let you stuff 35" or 37" tires with minimal lift. I wont suggest brands because I'm not familiar or experienced enough with many of them.

Regardless welcome and good move with the training and start at HH.
Thank you!

Upvote 0
Top Bottom