New Oil Filter Design For 3.6L

Frydaddy

Don't use a torque wrench on the oil filter housing. Stop tightening as soon as the filter cap seats and there should be no problem. Once the oring seats stop tightening.
Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's where the torque wrench comes into play. 18 ft/lbs is really light. I had been over-tightening it going off the "seating" feel. the threads seem to get tight over time too, i wonder if silicone grease would be better than engine oil.

jpone

My 2012 is in the shop at this moment for the second repair due to oil filter housing issue. Poor design. Plastic and easy to overtighten, and easy to misalign the o-ring.

First time was my fault for misaligning the o-ring. Oil sloshed out on top of the motor and then everywhere down around the sides of the transmission and gave me a scare cuz I was in the middle of nowhere and smelled the burning oil.

This time the dealer did the oil change and the crack was shortly thereafter. At least I had an idea what was happening and no panic.

It's a messy situation. Hope this gets it fixed . . .

d35047beaa798202a9c391d68e50093b.png

So there were 3 problems.

First, the filter housing was cracked;

Second, the oil pan had a leak at the seal;

Third, if you look at the diagram (generously posted by another member), part number 10, the piece above the oil pan also had a leak where it attaches to the bottom of the motor.

3 leaks, big mess. all seems sealed up now. Fingers crossed

Frydaddy

So there were 3 problems.
First, the filter housing was cracked;
Second, the oil pan had a leak at the seal;
Third, if you look at the diagram (generously posted by another member), part number 10, the piece above the oil pan also had a leak where it attaches to the bottom of the motor.
3 leaks, big mess. all seems sealed up now. Fingers crossed

Wow,thats quite a few leaks for a relatively new engine. I'm glad you got it fixed, and hope this leads to many more trail days!

Rb1boxer_3

Just did my oil change today my the jump to synthetic let's see how this works. Made sure the filter was right they gave me the wrong one had them change that shit quick

Out in the Boonies

Top Bottom