New lift, and a few questions

JMDesign83

So I just installed a 3inch lift on my 2008 Cherokee with 31in tires. And quickly realized I probably should have asked questions before getting started since I'm a complete noob at lifting jeeps. I owned an XJ with a 3in lift for several years but it was already lifted when I bought it.

My first surprise was the upper control arm ball joint on the driver side that only lasted one day. It's destroyed. So I'm ordering a JBA replacement pair of uppers (lead time is a couple weeks so my Jeep is going to be parked a while) I've since read they're a bad design anyway, but lifts tend to destroy them pretty quickly. Which I can certainly vouche for since mine made it 32 miles.

I do have some questions though about issues that aren't as critical or obvious as the ball joint. First, I'm getting vibration under acceleration, which I assume is rear driveshaft angle. No vibration, or at least not noticeable, while maintaining speed. It isn't a massive vibration, but enough to know it needs to be addressed. So I guess my question here, what would be the ideal solution? Any budget options to get it by for now? Any idea how long it can be driven with the vibration before roaching the driveshaft splines?

My next question is the rear trackbar. My rear axle is sitting about an inch off center toward the driverside. So I assume it needs an adjustable trackbar. Any recommendations on who sells them? Other considerations that may not be obvious?

And lastly, does the stock transfer case, diffs, motor, etc hold up with 31in tires? Any damage considerations such as not being too rough with it, offroading, limiting acceleration, etc?

I appreciate any help. And please don't assume I know enough about what I'm doing to even know all the correct questions to ask lol So feel free to explain things to me like I'm a kindergartener. I won't be offended lol

Attachments

• 20220522_212519.jpg
    20220522_212519.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220522_212507.jpg
    20220522_212507.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

DaJudge

The ball joint issue is a common problem with most IFS vehicles.
Most likely you will need new drive shafts, 3 inches has them stretched as far as they can be. the vibration could also be your front driveshaft or the fact that your rear axle is off center
The stock t-case, engine, and diffs will be fine unless you beat it hard. You will most like have issues with the front axle shafts or the tie rods.
You will need a rear trackbar. Which one will depend on your desire, one with rubber on both ends will ride better and require less maintenance, one with a flex joint on one end will let the rear axle flex more IF you also do control arms. I recommend one with rubber on both ends if you can find it, I think Rusty's has one but you will need to verify with them.

JMDesign83

The ball joint issue is a common problem with most IFS vehicles.
Most likely you will need new drive shafts, 3 inches has them stretched as far as they can be. the vibration could also be your front driveshaft or the fact that your rear axle is off center
The stock t-case, engine, and diffs will be fine unless you beat it hard. You will most like have issues with the front axle shafts or the tie rods.
You will need a rear trackbar. Which one will depend on your desire, one with rubber on both ends will ride better and require less maintenance, one with a flex joint on one end will let the rear axle flex more IF you also do control arms. I recommend one with rubber on both ends if you can find it, I think Rusty's has one but you will need to verify with them.
Hey thanks for the advice! I didn't think about the side offset of the axle being the cause. The angle fromt the diff to the tcase didn't look that bad, but didn't even consider the horizontal alignment.

Top Bottom