NEW GLADIATOR Truck Bed Antenna / Light Mount

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For those of you who own a Jeep JT Gladiator, without a bed rack and have been wanting a clean way to install an antenna mount for something like a CB Radio, HAM Radio, GMRS or Race Radio, this is something you might be interested in. Designed to be installed on the bulkhead of the truck bed on either the passenger side or driver side, this new mount is made out of 3/16" stainless steel for optimal performance, comes with stainless steel hardware, installs in minutes using basic tool and best of all, it can be used with a factory tonneau cover. Here are some shots of what it looks like installed and with the optional adapter bolted on to allow for the use of an NMO style radio antenna.

20230104174215-00405e81.jpg

20230104174212-6b388766.jpg

20230104174206-8d280de9.jpg

I should note that this particular design will only work on 2021-Up Gladiators but I am working on a version that will on 2020 as well. Also, while it can be used with a tall and heavy Firestik II type antenna, you will see movement in the mount due to the height designed into it to help clear a tonneau top. If this is a concern of yours, I would recommend using a Firefly type antenna or something more traditional like what you see in the pics above. As far as price point goes, I am still working on it now but it is my hope to keep it in the mid $30 range.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Otherwise, I hope to have these available for sale before the end of the month. :cool:

UPDATE 01/20/23
Based on the recent post made by mtudb24, I decided to see whether or not my JT antenna mount could be used with something like a KC Flex LED Light Single. That said, here's what it would look like...
20230120133040-90dd1c07.jpg

20230120133034-4bcc5dad.jpg

20230120133022-01e5fadf.jpg

20230120133025-2a63399c.jpg

Needless to say, I really like it and will be keeping the setup! Thanks for the idea 😁

Last edited:
Very cool! I think that's the best looking spot for an antenna on the JT as well. If you're still making them in a few years when I buy a Gladiator I'll be sure to pick one up! Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool! I think that's the best looking spot for an antenna on the JT as well. If you're still making them in a few years when I buy a Gladiator I'll be sure to pick one up! Lol
LOL - awesome! Hope that day comes for you sooner than later (y)
Very cool, I was wondering what you had in the works with that thread asking about the holes in the bed. Looks good
Yeah, been meaning to do this for a while now. Glad you like what you're seeing :)
Dude, you’re on a roll! Nice! 👍
LOL - oh man, there is so much more I'm wanting to make. For myself if nothing else :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How’s it read for SWR and race radio reception? I never had good luck in the past with bed mounts but hopefully you report solid reception. Big market for more than just JT’s I would bet.
I haven't taken an SWR but haven't had any issues with broadcast or reception and over significant distances. Granted, I don't need my radio to reach half way around the world like some. I should note that what really makes a difference with the NMO style antennas is the thickness of the mount they're attached to. If it's too thick (like a lot of mounts out there), the center pin won't reach the base of the antenna or with enough contact and when that happens, the only thing that's working as an antenna is the coax cable. Basically nothing. Also, I am using a no ground plane antenna and for an application like this, it is what you should be using.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I haven't taken an SWR but haven't had any issues with broadcast or reception and over significant distances. Granted, I don't need my radio to reach half way around the world like some. I should note that what really makes a difference with the NMO style antennas is the thickness of the mount they're attached to. If it's too thick (like a lot of mounts out there), the center pin won't reach the base of the antenna or with enough contact and when that happens, the only thing that's working as an antenna is the coax cable. Basically nothing. Also, I am using a no ground plane antenna and for an application like this, it is what you should be using.
Awesome! Good info! Thanks

kevman65

Hooked
Question, can you make the bottom bolt the next size smaller and long enough to get through the nutcert and engage with the nut on your bracket?

Then you could just change that one size and not have to make multiple bracket types.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Question, can you make the bottom bolt the next size smaller and long enough to get through the nutcert and engage with the nut on your bracket?

Then you could just change that one size and not have to make multiple bracket types.
The bolt size on the factory nutsert is really small. If I recall, it's just an M6. I don't feel real confident that they'd hold up, especially being that the mount would have to sit on top of the nutsert. The bolts I'm using are 3/8" and a LOT bigger. What I might be able to do though is make it so that a 2020 JT would only need to use the upper bolt and then use the nutsert like a pin to keep the mount from rotating.

upnover

Do you have a measurement from the bedrail to the top of the mount? I have a different style cover so want to make sure I have no issues mounting these. Also link where to find them? Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a measurement from the bedrail to the top of the mount? I have a different style cover so want to make sure I have no issues mounting these. Also link where to find them? Thanks!
From the top of the bed rail to the underside of the mount, you'll have a 3" gap.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Prototype, give him 3 weeks.......
LOL - actually, I wasn't happy with the way it would rock back and forth with a Firestik antenna and so I re-designed it a bit. I just had a new prototype made, one that will be rigid and hope to test it out later this week. If all is good, should be another week before I have them in stock and ready to ship so, you're close 😁

Top Bottom