New axle or stock for re-gear?

So is it smart to keep the stock axles and re-gear them? Or just wait for the future to get 2 whole new aftermarket axles? Are the stock axles good enough to keep forever?
I have a 2016 JKU with 3.21 gears and I'm looking to go to 4.88's. Any one else do this?
Thanks!
OIIIIIIIO

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So is it smart to keep the stock axles and re-gear them? Or just wait for the future to get 2 whole new aftermarket axles? Are the stock axles good enough to keep forever?
I have a 2016 JKU with 3.21 gears and I'm looking to go to 4.88's. Any one else do this?
Thanks!
OIIIIIIIO

What size tires are you planning on running and how hard are you planning on wheeling?

Eezybreezy08

Yes a lot of people have done this including me. Since you have 3.21 like I did, I suppose you have a sport with the Dana 30 front. I regeared mine and drove it till I broke it. I got 3 years out of it and I didn't wheel it hard. Some people get them and they last awhile, and others have there's tear up in no time. I personally wouldn't go any bigger than 35 but some people run 37. It's your money so do what you want. If you have the money for a brand new pro rock 44 , then go for it. If not, regear if you like, and enjoy it while it last. And that's all I can say considering I don't know what your full intentions are for your jeep.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Thanks!
OIIIIIIIO

What tire size do you plan on running?

If you are planning on 37s, I'd save for Dynatrac's Trail Leader package and have the rear regeared when the locker is being installed.

If you are just looking at 35s I'd regear and keep your current set up. The D30 isn't ideal but you should be ok with just 35s. I also wouldn't put a locker up front since it is a smaller ring and pinion.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
If you have a 30 in the front and don't plan on wheeling much and sticking with 35s and smaller, do it. But if you want to go bigger I'd save for the trail leader package like mr.ty said. I re geared last year, built a d44 front in Jan. And now getting a pro rock 60. If I would of saved I could of had hard core pro rock 60s. A suggestion that might save you in the long run. If you do regear, I'd lock your rear 44. That way you'll get by and can just get a front axle down the road.

Top Bottom