Need help with shocks (King 2.5 Adjustable). 2023 Rubicon 2 Door

Into the sound

Greetings,
Im a newbie here and purchased a 2023 Rubicon 2-door 2.0 new. I cant leave things alone and love offloading in Nor-Cal / So-Cal. I installed a stubby front bumper with a Warn Zeon Platinum 10s winch. LOD Destroyer rock rails and an AEV Rear bumper with tire carrier and fuel caddy. Added a Clayton 1.5" Overland lift. Did the full steer smarts steering package with AEV Borah wheels. Im building my dream off-road jeep and need help about the shocks. I am looking at the 2.5 Kings with adjusters. I like the fact the fronts mount the reservoir right next to the shock rather than run a hose up to the front bumper. (with the foxes I would have to trim my Ventator front bumper and do more mods just to get the reservoirs to fit. Im tired of cutting on my new jeep.

Heres my question ?

Has anyone installed the 2.5 adjustable kings with the rear AEV bumper? Theres a couple of tubes that connect the corner of the bumper to the frame to protect the rear quarter panels of the jeep and I want to be sure the reservoir part of the rear shock wont rub or make contact with the tube. It looks like it should clear but before I order I better check with the group to see if any of you could give me some help.

Thx in advanced, I love the YouTube videos and am grateful for all replies . Im in California, Should I use Accu-Tune for my order? is there a better place to get them?

Thx
Matt

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you feel a need for these shocks or are you just wanting them because you have money burning a hole in your pocket and they look cool? And to be clear, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm asking because unless you're doing a lot of hard and fast driving across the desert, there's really no need for anything as fancy as these Kings and to be clear, the adjustments go from stiff to stiffer to stiffest. This is great to help absorb really big hits and prevent fading but won't do a whole to offer a smooth ride on a daily basis.

Upvote 0

Into the sound

To be totally honest im looking for a great ride, I was a 3/4 truck guy before the jeep. HUGE difference. I also really like the way the shocks look.
I have Fox 2.0 shocks installed and am really not to happy with them. I beefed up the steering, added the ATS steer stabilizer and it's nice and tight but I feel the need for better shocks. Is there a better shock out there that will work better on road but will still perform good when I go out off roading. So NO, I wont be doing any high speed desert stuff. can you recommend a good shock that will complement the Clayton coils? Im open to anything that will help the ride.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have Fox 2.0 shocks installed and am really not to happy with them. I beefed up the steering, added the ATS steer stabilizer and it's nice and tight but I feel the need for better shocks.
What is it about them that you're not happy with?
Is there a better shock out there that will work better on road but will still perform good when I go out off roading. So NO, I wont be doing any high speed desert stuff. can you recommend a good shock that will complement the Clayton coils? Im open to anything that will help the ride.
What I can tell you is that ride quality is 100% subjective and that an expensive shock won't necessarily give you what you're looking for. Also, spring rate accounts for the bulk of how your ride feels - shocks are designed to smooth things out/help absorb hits and mitigate bounciness. As in, if you have what feels like a stiff or harsh ride, shocks will NOT make it feel softer.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should also clarify that IF ANYTHING, an expensive high performance monotube shock or bypass shock like a King or even a Fox, will make your ride feel FIRMER. This is how they're designed and what makes them good at taking big bumps fast and resist fading. The adjustable ones allow you to take bigger hits and preserve your rig but in order to do that, they have to be even more firm. As in, daily driving quality can be quite harsh.

Upvote 0

TonyT

Caught the Bug
Agreed with what's said above. I have 2.5" kings on because I had the money to burn and I'm a fan of the company and their accomplishments. Used to have their posters up well before I could afford them. They've been on since 2020 and I have not once bothered with the comp adjusters or spent a second getting them dialed-in. Its just not been necessary.

As for the AEV bumper. It's a great bumper, I had it for a few years, but those tubes that tie into your frame you're talking about get in the way. Im not sure how you plan to mount your Kings, but when you go to big tires and a long-arm lift that moves the axle back they will be an issue.

Upvote 0

Bear_JT

Hooked
I agree 100% with what Eddie said. You might be dealing more with a stiff springs issue and adding kings or Fox’s is just going to make that more apparent. I had 2.0 Fox’s with EVO plush rides on my JK and was really happy with them. I have Kings now with EVO plush rides on my Gladiator and it’s definitely a stiffer ride but it’s now set up for what I like doing. Maybe look at the adjustable Rancho RS9000’s. It’s still a great shock and you’ll more than likely find the ride you’re looking for.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom