My Cj-7 is under construction

Spazbyt

Hooked
This 1986 CJ-7 was my first car back in 2000. I drove it all through high school but when I went to college I needed a better commuter car and emissions testing here in MO made it difficult to pass at the time. So it sat collecting dust in the garage for almost 10 years when me and my father finally decided to get historical plates for it and started cleaning it up. IMG_0317.jpg jeep_014.jpg We pulled the motor and removed all the vacuum emission control crap and installed a webber 2 barrel carb. Later we added a D.U.I. distributor and that really brought this 258 to life. After putting the motor back in we started to notice a squeak in the front end of the motor that would get worse the warmer the motor got. We assumed that after sitting for 10 years we must have spun a main barring. At that point our moral was crushed because we had assumed the motor was in relatively good shape. So after sitting for a few more years we decided to get the motor rebuilt. Finally after a full rebuild we got the motor back in for the second time. Only problem is that it was still squeaking! Turned out one of the bolts on the crank pulley was slightly long and when the motor would come up to temperature the bolt would start making contact with the timing chain cover... Well at least the motor has a fresh rebuild now. :rolleyes: 2011-01-16_12-31-54_803 (2018_02_13 23_25_39 UTC).jpg 20171017_181159 (2018_02_13 23_25_39 UTC).jpg
The jeep was rusting just sitting in a dry garage so we had plenty of body work to do. We also did a spray in bed liner. The hard doors and top would have needed a lot of work and since the jeep would be a Sunday driver now we decide to ditch them. 20170523_192646 (2018_02_13 23_25_39 UTC).jpg
2012-03-10_18-21-21_907 (2018_02_13 23_25_39 UTC).jpg
Original paint on the dash and the seats are original.
20171017_180945 (2018_02_13 23_25_39 UTC).jpg
20171017_181022 (2018_02_13 23_25_39 UTC).jpg both jeeps resized 3.jpg both jeeps resized .jpg

Last edited:
Woo-hoo! So stoked you started this thread! I too started out driving my dad's Jeep in high school. We plan to keep that TJ forever. Now that I have the JK too I'd love a CJ-7 some day. Looking forward to following the build.

Spazbyt

Hooked
I worked on getting new Bestop seats in over the weekend. As much as it sucked to get rid of the OEM seats the vinyl was basically disintegrating and the driver seat was starting to look pretty shabby. 20221022_120945_-_Copy[1].jpg

20221022_113323[1].jpg
Unfortunately one of the seat's head rest crushed down. I put it out in the sun hoping it would bounce back but it appears it was smooshed down for quite some time. Lucky I have a replacement on the way and it should be hear in time for the weekend.
20221022_113900[1].jpg

Spazbyt

Hooked
The cheap auto zone braided line and hose clamp covers have been something I have been meaning to replace for a long time now. I'm currently working on switching all the fuel lines in the engine bay to AN fittings. 20221218_135327.jpg
I'm not sure if I need the pressure regulator being that I only need 4 psi but I wanted to replace the fuel filter and I needed a way to get the fuel back to the tank.

Pro Tip: if you have a Old 258 with the split fuel filter make sure the return to tank outlet if above the outlet to the carburetor. If not you'll have hard starts, ask me how I know.

Last edited:

Spazbyt

Hooked
My father and I have been turning wrenches on jeeps together for many years. Unfortunately, my father recently passed away from pancreatic cancer. While I was going through some old photos I found this one from the early 2000s. We built the Yellow 1972 CJ5 for a family friend that was so impressed by my CJ7 that they wanted us to build them something similar. I can remember being so jealous of the 35" Super Swampers and the 304 V8 but honestly, it had a crap fiberglass tub that made working on that thing a nightmare. I may not miss that Jeep but I will dearly miss all those hours working in the garage with my father.
20230410_121851 Crop Resized.jpg

AZVAJKU

Hooked
My father and I have been turning wrenches on jeeps together for many years. Unfortunately, my father recently passed away from pancreatic cancer. While I was going through some old photos I found this one from the early 2000s. We built the Yellow 1972 CJ5 for a family friend that was so impressed by my CJ7 that they wanted us to build them something similar. I can remember being so jealous of the 35" Super Swampers and the 304 V8 but honestly, it had a crap fiberglass tub that made working on that thing a nightmare. I may not miss that Jeep but I will dearly miss all those hours working in the garage with my father.
View attachment 387901

That is the most important aspect of owning a Jeep- the outstanding memories that can never be taken from you.

Sorry for your loss.

onlyone

View attachment 387901
I’m sorry for your loss. Cancer is a Fuck and it changes every part of your families life. You never understand how bad everything can be until you, or someone you love gets it. Great looking CJ’s and it’s a wonderful memory you have with your Dad.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
My prayers and sympathy go out to you and your family. I understand it, having grown up wrenching on cars with my dad, and the first part of my career being spent with him wrenching on industrial machinery in the Building Trades.
God bless.

Top Bottom