mtnbiker's rebuild thread

mtnbiker995

Pulled the shield/brace off of the front bottom of the bell housing. It's held on with 7 bolts, all 15mm if I remember right:

Then after unbolting the rest of the transmission and starter, which is another 6 bolts; some 16mm, 15mm, and 18mm, we were able to separate the transmission enough to get the clutch fork out:

I had a guy from work helping me do this, I had never done it before and he used to race stock cars so I figured this was a smart choice. I gave him $100 and ordered pizza, which is much cheaper than the $350 quoted from a shop. Plus I got a nice learning experience out of the whole thing.

mtnbiker995

We even had the boss under the Jeep for a little bit when we had a question:

Got the bearing replaced and started putting things back together:

All done!

mtnbiker995

Of course as with any project, the right selection of tools always makes the job easier:

Got a little hungry afterwards and the grill was out of gas. . .so we used the toaster for hot dogs:

mtnbiker995

I've also been working on my inner fenders for my Jeep, I've made mounts and braces for my factory inner fenders so I can stop filling my engine bay with salt driving in the winter. I hope to have those installed sometime this week

mtnbiker995

Well I finally got around to making my inner fenders last Thursday but before I post up some pics of them, I'll post a few pics from last summer when I originally chopped my fenders. I have dozens more picture on my Laptop if you'd like anything specific, just ask.

First I drew out multiple options of cuts with chalk on the plastic then finally decided on option 6:

I chose option 5 for the cut on the backside of the fender:

I then made measurements and taped off the fender for lines to follow:

The shaded in section is what the fenders will look like after being cut:

mtnbiker995

Here's what they looked like after I got done cutting:

Then after everything's done make sure you let your girlfriend draw with chalk:

mtnbiker995

A few days ago, I finally made inner fenders for my Jeep using factory mount locations and 2 brackets that I made in about 4 minutes at work.

Here's the brackets I made that bolt to the Jeep to support the backside of the inner fender (where there's no factory bolts)

Here's what the fenders look like installed:

mtnbiker995

Put a new pressure switch on my OBA tank tonight, hopefully getting everything hooked back up and reinstalled by the end of next week since I'm going to be out of town for a few days here coming up

mtnbiker995

Here's a picture of the fusebox on a JK that my buddy sent me. It shows you which fuses are ignition or accessory hot, and also if you pay attention to which side of the fuse is circles, it shows you which side the power comes from. I have this saved as a useful little tool and figured maybe someone else would find it helpful too:

mtnbiker995

This weekend I managed to make it out to Marblehead on Drummond Island AND climbed right up the "steps" on my first try. . .Although being on a snowmobile may have made it a little easier than when in a Jeep :bleh::clap2:

Here's standing on the bluff at Marblehead looking out towards Canada:

Here's taking the ferry out to Drummond Island from Detour Village:

Top Bottom