Mounting CB + GMRS radios on CBBAR

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
I am looking for ideas on getting both radio setups installed. The GMRS i picked up (will probably draw a good deal of power - Midland MXT575) - I am installing the Factory Aux switches myself and was wondering if it would be better to just wire straight to the battery or if I should use one of the higher 30 amp wires provided by the aux switches. In terms of a CB i haven't picked one out yet - but I was also looking at scanners as well. My rationale is - when I am out on the road most of the folks are using CB - however out on the trails most people are using GMRS (and and some remote areas - HAM - which I am not going to get into right now).

Do the smart alternators we have get in the way of keeping the battery charged - Anything that can be done via a Tazer to let that alternator do its job and not prioritize fuel economy? Would now be a good time to look into dual battery setups ?

I was also wanting to mount the antennas towards the backend side of the bed as per

I did order some higher gain Antennas and installing them (CB and GMRS antenna) on opposite on opposite ends of each other, however I am thinking that having it installed up front i.e. using a cowl mount or a bumper mount would probably net better signal strength.

I really doubt a hard mounted CB or GMRS unit would draw “a good deal of power.”

Have had mine wired straight to the battery for a couple years now, no issues.

Edit: Just get a Baofeng BF-F8HP for $80 and call it a day, GMRS & HAM and doesn’t wire up to the Jeep at all.

Last edited:
I am looking for ideas on getting both radio setups installed. The GMRS i picked up (will probably draw a good deal of power - Midland MXT575) - I am installing the Factory Aux switches myself and was wondering if it would be better to just wire straight to the battery or if I should use one of the higher 30 amp wires provided by the aux switches. In terms of a CB i haven't picked one out yet - but I was also looking at scanners as well. My rationale is - when I am out on the road most of the folks are using CB - however out on the trails most people are using GMRS (and and some remote areas - HAM - which I am not going to get into right now).

Do the smart alternators we have get in the way of keeping the battery charged - Anything that can be done via a Tazer to let that alternator do its job and not prioritize fuel economy? Would now be a good time to look into dual battery setups ?

I was also wanting to mount the antennas towards the backend side of the bed as per

I did order some higher gain Antennas and installing them (CB and GMRS antenna) on opposite on opposite ends of each other, however I am thinking that having it installed up front i.e. using a cowl mount or a bumper mount would probably net better signal strength.
wired direct, just remember to turn it off.
Turning it off is something I as bad about; I used the Quadratec 12v power adapter in my JKU to wire it to a switched power supply and not use up a switch panel switch.

Lately I've been using handheld, and they seem to be working out well enough.

You got a higher gain antenna for a 50w GMRS? The transmission power would be technically illegal and possibly not good for your health.

It is 50w with the provided antenna.
Source?

The transmission power is increased by a higher gain antenna.
A better antenna does not increase transmission power. A 50 watt station does not become a 75 watt station, for example. A better antenna simply improves station efficiency.

Midland provides a variety of antennas with different “db gains” for the 575 and other models. You could even make your own, if you wanted. Make a full wave antenna and tune it for best performance. Make a directional beam to focus the signal in a single direction. All of it legal for GMRS.

To the best of my knowledge, the FCC has no regulation limiting GMRS output to 50 watts with “provided antenna”.

Top Bottom