Moby is back home

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why only 37's for the yellow one?

Is 40's overkill?

Just wondering.......

LOL!! Can't afford yet. We're wanting ProRock 60's before we make the jump to 40's. Having one built up JK is expensive enough, having 2 is killer on the wallet.

1BAMFR

LOL!! Can't afford yet. We're wanting ProRock 60's before we make the jump to 40's. Having one built up JK is expensive enough, having 2 is killer on the wallet.

Gotcha! Would you go bigger than 40's?

Last time out offroading i met a JK w/ 42's on it.....

Or is 40's the sweet spot to conqueror the trails?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Gotcha! Would you go bigger than 40's?

Last time out offroading i met a JK w/ 42's on it.....

Or is 40's the sweet spot to conqueror the trails?

For me, on a JK, 40 is the sweet spot. Even guys like Mel from Off Road Evolution have come back down to 40 after running 42's.

Just picked up Moby from Off Road Evolution today after having some repairs done and some new parts installed. :cool:

Had the cross member replaced with an HD unit, replaced the steering box, replaced the drive shafts, fixed tearing mounts, fixed hoses, replaced the clockspring, fixed a blown reservoir and had rear EVO/King bumps installed. :yup:

Back home and tucked in for the night

Wow, those are a lot of repairs for a JK that hardly gets out on the trail much!:bleh: You really should think about wheeing it harder.

charlie4

Eddie
Seeing as you own Moby with the Lever kit and Rubicat with the bolt on coilovers can you tell us how much difference there is in performance between the 2 on and off road? I am very interested in the Evolution kits but undecided on which way to go. Both your jeeps are awsome!!!!:thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie
Seeing as you own Moby with the Lever kit and Rubicat with the bolt on coilovers can you tell us how much difference there is in performance between the 2 on and off road? I am very interested in the Evolution kits but undecided on which way to go. Both your jeeps are awsome!!!!:thumb:

Both are on long arms and on pavement, both ride about the same. Because we have Double Throwdowns on Moby, we have the valving and coil rates set so that the ride is a bit more Cadillac smooth and yet, still very responsive. Moby's really low stance and significant width also helps make it to be extremely stable. Between that and the coil overs, he can corner a lot faster than Rubicat. Being that the Double Throwdown offers 14" of vertical travel front and rear, Moby can out flex Rubicat as she only has 12" of travel up front and 11.25" in the rear. Thanks to the triple bypass shocks that a Double Throwdown has, Moby can jam much faster in the desert and eat up much bigger bumps as well. In the end, there really is no comparison between the two but then, one costs significantly more too. The Double Throwdown kit does come at a premium price but, it really is in a league all its own.

Now, having said all that, you should not be looking at the bolt on coil over kit as not being any good as nothing else out there can come close to what it can do. It just isn't a Double Throwdown kit and really, not everyone needs a kit at that level.

charlie4

Thanks Eddie
You are the only person I know who has the privilege of owning both and being able to compare the 2. I thank you very much for taking the time to answer my question. Very detailed answer that helped me alot. I think I am leaning towards the bolt on a little more in my price range and I am sure it will do everything I need it do and then some here on the eastcoast. But I have to say Moby impresses me every video I see him in.

Thanks again Charlie

matt1171

I really like the look of Mobi and Rubicat with no rear bumper. Are there any pros and cons I should be aware of before removing mine? Also, I notice Rubicat has rear D-Rings and Mobi doesn't. Any reason why?

Metalmasher

wayoflife said:
Both are on long arms and on pavement, both ride about the same. Because we have Double Throwdowns on Moby, we have the valving and coil rates set so that the ride is a bit more Cadillac smooth and yet, still very responsive. Moby's really low stance and significant width also helps make it to be extremely stable. Between that and the coil overs, he can corner a lot faster than Rubicat. Being that the Double Throwdown offers 14" of vertical travel front and rear, Moby can out flex Rubicat as she only has 12" of travel up front and 11.25" in the rear. Thanks to the triple bypass shocks that a Double Throwdown has, Moby can jam much faster in the desert and eat up much bigger bumps as well. In the end, there really is no comparison between the two but then, one costs significantly more too. The Double Throwdown kit does come at a premium price but, it really is in a league all its own.

Now, having said all that, you should not be looking at the bolt on coil over kit as not being any good as nothing else out there can come close to what it can do. It just isn't a Double Throwdown kit and really, not everyone needs a kit at that level.

I just hate it when you talk like that! I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat wishing I had the double throw down! It is the way to go

Top Bottom