Moab, 29 April - 3(?) May

GP NOIR

Hooked
I'll be in Moab on or about Saturday 29 May to meet up with my brother for a few days. He's coming up from Texas in his JLUR. Not sure for how long, but likely won't leave for home until Thursday morning 4 May.

If anyone would like to join us, you're more than welcome. I have a passing familiarity with the area and have only run a couple of trails, so if ya come out and can show us around, it'd be appreciated!

GP NOIR

Hooked
If anyone interested, my trip has been pushed back one week. Be heading down to Moab either the 5th or 6th

GP NOIR

Hooked
My brother has never been off-roading. I'm thinking of taking him on Top Of The World, Hell's Revenge and Fins & Things to start. For the most part, our plans are flexible. We'll either be primitive camping or maybe staying at an RV park at the south end of town. I'd also like to take another look at the Rose Garden. I didn't attempt the Rose Garden when I went to Moab a year ago because I was solo.

Simply going that-a-way and seeing where the muse takes us is also a possibility.

I have a 2 door JK Rubicon. My brother has a 4 door JL Rubicon.

unicornsandrainbows

Caught the Bug
Top Of The World, Hell's Revenge
We are for sure in. Plan on heading down Friday night (May 5th.)

Could make a loop of Top of the World, Rose Garden to Onion Creek. There are a couple of awesome camping spots out there as well. But I am with you, see where the muse takes us.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Kane Creek Spare Delete and The Austin Powers U Turn

At Hamburger Hill on Kane Creek, there’s a hump where most rigs have to be winched over. There’s even a hard point driven into the rock to attach a winch line to. I don’t have a winch and while trying to climb the hump, the rear of my Jeep slid over and got wedged between the hump and a boulder behind me. I couldn’t back up and I couldn’t go forward. My spotter tried to have me work my way to the left enough to be able to back out, but no dice!

With a little experimentation, I found I had a bit of wiggle room going right. Turn right, climb up about an inch, then turn left and back up a little. Rinse and repeat. Bit by bit, the front of Jeep made its way to the right.

My spotter asked me “You can’t be planning to turn completely around. That’s impossible!”

“If that’s what I gotta do, yes!”

He shook his head. “I’ve never seen anyone do anything like this before. You better get your Austin Powers on!”

I did and got my Jeep turned around. Before heading back down the trail, my spotter said “Come back up. We’ll try another line!”

I did. Same results. Had to turn my Jeep around once more by getting my Austin Powers on. This time, I backed up a little too hard and shattered the factory tire carrier. Magnesium is light and strong, but brittle.

8C82EC92-8C76-4A71-B88F-031C5F89BFF5.jpeg

Picked up a few items at the hardware store to fix up a license plate frame.
3D629C5A-2905-4F47-AB77-DC4BAB773241.jpeg

The holes are ugly because I didn’t have my good drill bits or my Dremel with me. But it got me home without having to explain things to the nice UHP officer.
10C83F2F-9A78-43CB-87E0-FEA2C67CEE5A.jpeg

Now that I’m home, I’ll make another one and make sure the holes are clean and round.

Last edited:
Top Bottom