Millennials vs Baby Boomers

Aeraun

http://www.upworthy.com/the-best-response-for-when-anyone-calls-young-people-lazy-today?g=4

I was gona post this in the random photos thread but thought it would make for a good discussion piece.

I am part of the "millennial" generation and I will be the first to admit that all we are accused of is 100% accurate IMO. I hate my generation and don't see too much promise in it. However, I also agree that, as the video talked about, the shortcomings of my generation have been influenced and put into place by the precious one. Obviously there's no getting around that influence, that's how society operates, but I suppose the million dollar question is what to do now and what comes next?

So let the suggestions, opinions, and evaluations fly but I ask that we keep it all in good sport :beer:

The Force will be with you.... always

StrizzyChris

While I agree with a lot of what they are saying, (and I guess I am a millennial at 30?) I was mentally wanting to stick up for the baby boomers the whole time. They were not responsible for all the economical and industrial fall out that our economy and generation are suffering from. If my old man says your lazy....then your ass is lazy! He, and most other BBs, doesn't expect you to go to college, make 100K a year, work 40 hours a week, or be more successful than they are. All he cares about is that I work enough to support my chosen lifestyle, eventually my family and their needs, without looking for support from others or our government while I play on my iPhone.

Other than all of tat I thought it was a spot on representation of our country and quite hilarious.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
While I agree with a lot of what they are saying, (and I guess I am a millennial at 30?) I was mentally wanting to stick up for the baby boomers the whole time. They were not responsible for all the economical and industrial fall out that our economy and generation are suffering from. If my old man says your lazy....then your ass is lazy! He, and most other BBs, doesn't expect you to go to college, make 100K a year, work 40 hours a week, or be more successful than they are. All he cares about is that I work enough to support my chosen lifestyle, eventually my family and their needs, without looking for support from others or our government while I play on my iPhone.

Other than all of tat I thought it was a spot on representation of our country and quite hilarious.

I represent the first year of the BB'ers. I was born shortly after my father returned from "The Big One." He had the same attitude your father does. Not everyone is going to college, is gonna rock the bank account, or get the hit in the bottom of the ninth that wins the World Series. He gave me the ambition to be rich and famous one day. I'm 67 and still workin' on it. He gave me the courage to go out in the world and kick ass and get my ass kicked to. Wow! Did I ever! Wouldn't have it any other way.:beer::beer:

pastorwug

Good response!
Work ethic - a subject not well received by the "entitled" crowd. The government owes them a life.
Having had to work for all of my "entitlements" and my children's "entitlements" I am always refreshed by discovering a 20 something with a work ethic, a drive, some self-motivation, "heart" as my Dad would call it.

Here's to those that swim against the tide, that run up the down staircase, that won't just settle.
I hope this millennial generation will fight the good fight - the same one many of us BB tried hard to fight.

StrizzyChris

I hope this millennial generation will fight the good fight - the same one many of us BB tried hard to fight.

I think they/we will. I meant to say in my initial post that every generation seems to look at the up and coming generation as lazy while they are in their 16 to 30 year phase. Due to their early lack of responsibility, and for the most part there's a good reason for this. Most generations have a rebellion phase where they feel the need to assert their mark or establish their identity and display resistance to the "status quo". They are passionate about something (i.e. anti-war of Vietnam, rock and roll with Elvis and the Beatles, etc.) to only later on they realize that staging sit ins and wearing hemp doesn't result in anything other than a delay in achieving their family, financial security, and career path that everyone has to go down.

Strainger

Caught the Bug
Chris;
Are you sure you're only 30? You are more than half my age and you sound twice as smart. Sounds to me like you are sufficiently motivated to really get a lot out of being alive. :thumb:

Aeraun

I don't blame the baby boomers directly, neither do I blame the millennials. I believe we are victims of our success and of the system we are forced to conform to. I do however hold the generations responsible for failing victim to it and not doing something about it. But I do agree that one of the biggest issues is work ethic. Its nearly nonexistent in my generation and everyone wants everything for nothing. But I look at the bigger picture and see that this is a very multidimensional problem. I mean just look at where my generation has been taking culture. When we do strive for something we strive to get half naked and piss drunk to do something stupid just so we can get on TV. We idolize the entertainment industry, much of which the mainstream is filled with no talent that's simply a sold computer engineer show and the average person now knows more about Kardashians than they know about the president. Things are just ass backwards but the owners of the country are still making a shit ton of money so let's lower the passing grades in school to make the numbers look better and raise the cost of everything to keep the people dependant and controlled.

The Force will be with you.... always

Top Bottom