Meandering Our Way from Mine to Mine - A Northern Nevada Adventure

Eddie HuelHowser Oh. Thank you guys for taking us along for the virtual ride and sharing your knowledge and history with us.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
This looked like an awesome trip with many stops back in time! One of the reasons why I love the desert so much and hope to get out there more often. Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

Eddie HuelHowser Oh. Thank you guys for taking us along for the virtual ride and sharing your knowledge and history with us.

LOL :clap2: :thumb:

jdofmemi

Thanks for the history.

I really enjoy exploring places like that.

One time working an old mine site, under the bottom of a pile of rock was a bunch of old magazines.

One was a surprisingly well preserved issue of Time magazine, from July 1941. It was interesting to read the reporting on the war from before we were officially involved.

Oh man. So cool. And to see the old newspaper articles has to be a real treat. May have to make my way back out to the pony express again soon and see what I can find that I haven’t seen yet... minus the mud and stranded vehicles [emoji52]

Elroy231

Id love to spend some time exploring out there.
Those old mine camps are so interesting. Im glad there are other people who enjoy to see this and learn about it as much as I am.
Moby looks great roaming the desert!!!
Have you and Cindy ever went into any of the mines? Clearly some are too unstable to explore.
If you fund your way to Michigan again consider a trip to our upper peninsula. There's a fair amount of old mine camps to explore. Could be a cool trip.
Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

It is fortunate that the desert can preserve history so well. Now, if there were only something we could do about all the boneheads with internet access and a 4WD.

Agreed. It is one of the many reasons I like this site's trip and trail photos and videos you do- not a bunch of yahoos barreling through the mud, rocks, and trees, just great (and largely undisclosed) locations, key shots and gentle land use.
Education is the only chance for dealing with the "boneheads with internet access and a 4wd", and your site provides that very effectively, IMO. It won't stop them all, but it will give many pause and help overall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL - I so miss that guy. A true legend. Flattered that you would even make the comparison. :cool:

This looked like an awesome trip with many stops back in time! One of the reasons why I love the desert so much and hope to get out there more often. Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

LOL :clap2: :thumb:

Happy that we could share this trip with you :cool:

Thanks for the history.

I really enjoy exploring places like that.

One time working an old mine site, under the bottom of a pile of rock was a bunch of old magazines.

One was a surprisingly well preserved issue of Time magazine, from July 1941. It was interesting to read the reporting on the war from before we were officially involved.

That is so cool. I so love finding stuff like that. :thumb:

Oh man. So cool. And to see the old newspaper articles has to be a real treat. May have to make my way back out to the pony express again soon and see what I can find that I haven’t seen yet... minus the mud and stranded vehicles [emoji52]

LOL - lots of good exploring out that way for sure. With any luck, you won't come across any of the sticky stuff the next time you get out there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Id love to spend some time exploring out there.
Those old mine camps are so interesting. Im glad there are other people who enjoy to see this and learn about it as much as I am.
Moby looks great roaming the desert!!!
Have you and Cindy ever went into any of the mines? Clearly some are too unstable to explore.
If you fund your way to Michigan again consider a trip to our upper peninsula. There's a fair amount of old mine camps to explore. Could be a cool trip.
Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Depending on the mine, sure, we go into a lot of them. Some are clearly way too dangerous and vertical shafts are not even a thing we'd attempt to do. As far as the UP goes, we've been there and have even wheeled Drummond Island before. I didn't know there was a mining history up that way though. Be nice to get back out that way someday.

Agreed. It is one of the many reasons I like this site's trip and trail photos and videos you do- not a bunch of yahoos barreling through the mud, rocks, and trees, just great (and largely undisclosed) locations, key shots and gentle land use.
Education is the only chance for dealing with the "boneheads with internet access and a 4wd", and your site provides that very effectively, IMO. It won't stop them all, but it will give many pause and help overall.

I do hope you're right.

Thanks for sharing. Awesome trip. Looking forward to seeing more of your adventures this year!

So glad you enjoyed the pics from our trip. :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
so cool!
as large as Texas is, all land is private or federal.
looking forward to getting out!

Yeah, it really is a shame about Texas. Looks like there would otherwise been some good exploring if not for the fact that so much of it is all private.

I really enjoyed reading about your trip! Thanks for sharing!

Awesome, happy to hear it :)

Elroy231

I did see the videos of your trip through the Midwest up to Drummond island. Really enjoyed the series.
Michigan's upper peninsula has a mining history that started in the late 1800s. Keweenaw peninsula and Marquette are both well known for mining. Some stories have Natives mining for copper long before the European showed up.
Iron ore was quite a big deal up there as well.
Check out some Leland blue stones. There's a pretty cool history to those that connects to mining iron ore. More so in the refining of it really.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I did see the videos of your trip through the Midwest up to Drummond island. Really enjoyed the series.
Michigan's upper peninsula has a mining history that started in the late 1800s. Keweenaw peninsula and Marquette are both well known for mining. Some stories have Natives mining for copper long before the European showed up.
Check out some Leland blue stones. There's a pretty cool history to those that connects to mining iron ore. More so in the refining of it really.

I have had some really great adventures and memories in some of those U.P. mines! [emoji41]

If we get a group sometime, I can bring my "college guide book" of cool places to visit.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Very cool. Would love to see some of that someday. :cool:

Also, cool pictures and information Eddie, I can't wait to get out West again and explore more!

Glad you enjoyed the pics and hope you're able to make it out this way sooner than later :)

tallguy26

Caught the Bug
Love this. I was hoping to check out some trails in Nevada this year but my cross country trip will probably never happen (every time I plan it something terrible always happens) so I will instead just watch your adventure.

Sent from my SM-G981U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Elroy231

I have had some really great adventures and memories in some of those U.P. mines! [emoji41]

If we get a group sometime, I can bring my "college guide book" of cool places to visit.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-S506DL using WAYALIFE mobile app
I would definatley be interested in that trip!! I love it up there. Havnt been to one part I don't like. Some mine and camp exploring is on my list.

Top Bottom