MAINTENANCE : Jeep JK Wrangler Differential Fluid Change Write-Up

wearle

noise from front differential?

I changed the differential fluid in both axles this weekend. I've done this before but this was the first time taking the covers off. That RTV sealant was not fun to work with, I got it everywhere. Anyway, I seem to be noticing a slight hum from the front end when in 4WD. And I might be noticing some additional wheel scrub when turning. Any idea what's going on here, do I need to re-do the front diff?

Lojo

Hey all looking for some advice here. I did a fluid change today both front and rear. Front looked good but rear had a metallic grey sludge around the drain magnet. I would say just about an ounce. Anyone ever see this before? First time change at 25k. Also really fine shavings. Stock gears from factory. Thanks in advance and thanks Eddie for the detailed write up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey all looking for some advice here. I did a fluid change today both front and rear. Front looked good but rear had a metallic grey sludge around the drain magnet. I would say just about an ounce. Anyone ever see this before? First time change at 25k. Also really fine shavings. Stock gears from factory. Thanks in advance and thanks Eddie for the detailed write up.

Eh, if it was that bad you probably would have taken a picture of it. It’s fine I’m sure.

WJCO

Meme King

Sounds normal. Although your front gears are spinning all of the time, they're not really being 'driven' unless you are in 4wd. Normal to have darker fluid in the rear and a little metal sludge on the magnets is common.

Lojo

Sounds normal. Although your front gears are spinning all of the time, they're not really being 'driven' unless you are in 4wd. Normal to have darker fluid in the rear and a little metal sludge on the magnets is common.

Thanks first time doing diff’s so just wanted to be sure.

MericaMade

Eh, if it was that bad you probably would have taken a picture of it. It’s fine I’m sure.

I read in another old post but now cant find, you said you use whatever diff oil is cheap or on sale because you change you diff fluid often. When you say cheap, are you talking like Walmart Supertech cheap?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I read in another old post but now cant find, you said you use whatever diff oil is cheap or on sale because you change you diff fluid often. When you say cheap, are you talking like Walmart Supertech cheap?

I typically use the Castrol or the like but I've used Walmart Supertech too.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Sorry didn’t see this. Usually autoparts store cheap cause that’s where I am often. I change it a lot less now that I don’t drive my jeeps everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

IHRJKU

Diff fluid change question

Just changed the F/R diff fluid today and noticed that neither F nor R held the amount of oil listed ~ 1.3L F 2.3L R.

Used royal purple, on pretty level footing, allowed old fluid to drain until small drips.

Front took right at 1 Qt and rear took not quite 2 Qts. Both filled to top of fill plug until lightly spilling over. I can see the fluid at the btm of the plug cavity.

Is this typical? I plan to let it sit over night and recheck the level tomorrow.

Thanks

IHRJKU

littlebeas

Just changed the F/R diff fluid today and noticed that neither F nor R held the amount of oil listed ~ 1.3L F 2.3L R.

Used royal purple, on pretty level footing, allowed old fluid to drain until small drips.

Front took right at 1 Qt and rear took not quite 2 Qts. Both filled to top of fill plug until lightly spilling over. I can see the fluid at the btm of the plug cavity.

Is this typical? I plan to let it sit over night and recheck the level tomorrow.

Thanks

IHRJKU

That’s about the same as mine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

WJCO

Meme King
Hello,

I just want to make sure I am using the correct oil. The manual that came with my 2016 Jeep Wrangler unlimited said to use 80W-90. I'm not sure if I need synthetic or an additive? The sticker from when I purchased the vehicle says it has Trac-Loc Differential Rear Axle.....

Would this oil be okay? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OV61KW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Thanks for any insight!

I don't think that will work. You need an oil that has a limited slip additive (sometimes called friction modifier).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You typically want to use a synthetic gear oil as it'll have friction modifier in it. There are some traditional fluids that have it too but it'll state as much on the bottle. Otherwise, you will want to pick up a bottle of friction modifier to add to your fluid as you fill up. I don't see anything on that Lucas that you posted that says anything about it.

Top Bottom