Low lift / big tires

ducatijosh

Hello, I'm going to be adding a 2.5" Clayton overland plus lift kit to my Rubicon Gladiator this weekend and I'm curious if you guys think I have a chance at fitting the 38" Nitto Ridge Grapplers. If I do rub does anyone know where the pain points would be? Front or rear?

I'd rather chop fenders than go higher if need be but I'm curious how far off I'll be if everyone runs the 37" trail grapplers just fine on this lift.

Also 4.88's or 5.13's with 38" RGs?

Thanks!

-Josh

SeaSharp

I have a 3.5" lift on my Gladiator and running 38's. I don't think a 2.5" lift with 38's would be comfortable, I'd stick to 37's. Here's a pic of Gladiator with lift and 38's if it helps.

Gladiator38s.png

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Trust me, 5.13 with the 38's. Anything less and you'll regret it. Also, you do realize that you will NOT be able to carry a 38 under the bed for a spare, right? Only a 37 will fit and only after you remove the heat shield. Otherwise, removing the inner fender liners will be needed and you'll most likely still see rubbing at a flex.

ducatijosh

Trust me, 5.13 with the 38's. Anything less and you'll regret it. Also, you do realize that you will NOT be able to carry a 38 under the bed for a spare, right? Only a 37 will fit and only after you remove the heat shield. Otherwise, removing the inner fender liners will be needed and you'll most likely still see rubbing at a flex.

The clayton kit I have has a bent track bar that gives some clearance.

"Our brand new, Jeep Gladiator 2020+ JT rear adjustable track bar, now featuring a tire clearance bend for those looking to fit a larger sized spare! Designed and tested allowing clearance for a 37" Nitto Trail grappler. All 37" tires should work, and some smaller 38" tires may work depending on actual tire size, and axle positioning. "

Crossing my fingers that hopefully, it might fit.

Or when the time comes i'll just be reasonable and get 37" trail grapplers with my 2.5" lift and call it a day.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The clayton kit I have has a bent track bar that gives some clearance.

"Our brand new, Jeep Gladiator 2020+ JT rear adjustable track bar, now featuring a tire clearance bend for those looking to fit a larger sized spare! Designed and tested allowing clearance for a 37" Nitto Trail grappler. All 37" tires should work, and some smaller 38" tires may work depending on actual tire size, and axle positioning. "

Crossing my fingers that hopefully, it might fit.

Or when the time comes i'll just be reasonable and get 37" trail grapplers with my 2.5" lift and call it a day.
That's great and all that your spare MAY not make contact with your track bar but I don't see how it'll help a 38" tire fit UP and in between the frame rails. I mean, unless you're cool with your 38" spare hanging way low to the ground.

SeaSharp

I have 4.88's on 38's and truer words haven't been spoken, you need 5.13's. It isn't the shifting when taking off or any of that, just the RPM band it is in on the highway causes it to shift more than I would like. I wish I'd went 37's and will do so next tire swap.

ducatijosh

That's great and all that your spare MAY not make contact with your track bar but I don't see how it'll help a 38" tire fit UP and in between the frame rails. I mean, unless you're cool with your 38" spare hanging way low to the ground.

Good info, might stick with 37s then to keep it between the frame rails.

I have 4.88's on 38's and truer words haven't been spoken, you need 5.13's. It isn't the shifting when taking off or any of that, just the RPM band it is in on the highway causes it to shift more than I would like. I wish I'd went 37's and will do so next tire swap.

So then....4.88's or 5.13's if I go with 37s? LOL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So then....4.88's or 5.13's if I go with 37s? LOL
4.88 will bring you back to stock performance and will give you better fuel economy. 5.13 will give you more power and that can be nice but you will be driving on the higher side of rpm and that will burn more gas. You just need to decide what's more important to you.

kevman65

Hooked
4.88 will bring you back to stock performance and will give you better fuel economy. 5.13 will give you more power and that can be nice but you will be driving on the higher side of rpm and that will burn more gas. You just need to decide what's more important to you.
Burn more gas, piss off more Global Warmers.......

ducatijosh

38 x 12.50 r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers Load C
2.5" Clayton Overland Plus Lift
17x9 +1 offset Fuel Covert Wheels (27lbs)

So far this is working great, no rubbing anywhere lock to lock. I've got a little under an inch at full lock before touching the front lower control arms.
I'm about half an inch from the wing on the new 2022 Passenger Side safety bracket, probably going to cut that off.

Haven't flexed it yet but I plan on chopping the fenders with an American Adventure Labs light kit and fender liners.

I like it!

Next week I get 5.13 Revolution Gears
Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
RCV 2-piece front CV axle shafts (FAD retained)

After that it'll be the RPM 2.5" tie rod / drag link kit.

Attachments

• 38 Nittos.jpeg
    38 Nittos.jpeg
    223.7 KB · Views: 37

TheGrendel

38 x 12.50 r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers Load C
2.5" Clayton Overland Plus Lift
17x9 +1 offset Fuel Covert Wheels (27lbs)

So far this is working great, no rubbing anywhere lock to lock. I've got a little under an inch at full lock before touching the front lower control arms.
I'm about half an inch from the wing on the new 2022 Passenger Side safety bracket, probably going to cut that off.

Haven't flexed it yet but I plan on chopping the fenders with an American Adventure Labs light kit and fender liners.

I like it!

Next week I get 5.13 Revolution Gears
Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
RCV 2-piece front CV axle shafts (FAD retained)

After that it'll be the RPM 2.5" tie rod / drag link kit.
Looks great.

LVMohave

My Mojave is running a 2" AEV lift and 38 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, NO rubbing anywhere. I also have the fender delete kit (removed plastic inner fender liners and replaced with aluminum ones) and Quake LEDs. I have been offroad with no issues, but Im not doing serious rock crawling either. Runs great on the Nittos.

Top Bottom