Loud knocking during initial start

bumpy_baldwin

Another random issue:

The wife started her Jeep this morning and had a loud knocking sound (as if a lifter was shot) but was coming from underneath the vehicle. After a minute, it went away yet came back for a solid 30 seconds once she turned the vehicle off. Tried to get audio/video when restarting but nothing happened of course.

Any idea where to even start looking? Oil level/pressure good (physically checked the oil level), trans temp normal as of right now, no hesitation at any throttle level or rough idle (for possible fuel filter/pump issue/bad gas)

‘19 JLU 2.0L

WJCO

Meme King
We've got 20k on ours and I've noticed this summer that the motor is a little noisier than it used to be but not like what you're describing. Hope you find out what it is.

BruceyZ06

My 22' JLU XR with the 3.6 has that same noise. I'm a GM tech by trade. No metal in oil. Had a fellow Jeep tech look at it and said it's normal? I'd figured I'd say okay. since it's still under warranty and PT warranty. Note that mine has 30k miles, and gets oil changes every 2k miles. I know make fun of me but I get free Mobil oil.

GP NOIR

Hooked
Another random issue:

The wife started her Jeep this morning and had a loud knocking sound (as if a lifter was shot) but was coming from underneath the vehicle. After a minute, it went away yet came back for a solid 30 seconds once she turned the vehicle off. Tried to get audio/video when restarting but nothing happened of course.

Any idea where to even start looking? Oil level/pressure good (physically checked the oil level), trans temp normal as of right now, no hesitation at any throttle level or rough idle (for possible fuel filter/pump issue/bad gas)

‘19 JLU 2.0L
The knock came back for 30 seconds when the engine was turned off?

richamby

I had a similar issue, let it ride, because it would clear. I had it looked at and had cylinder 1 and 4 misfire codes, Jeep dealer replaced camshaft, lifers and head gaskets. I think your warranty is up at 36,000 so I'd have it at the Jeep dealer very soon. Parts and fluids over $1700 plus labor.

I had a similar issue, let it ride, because it would clear. I had it looked at and had cylinder 1 and 4 misfire codes, Jeep dealer replaced camshaft, lifers and head gaskets. I think your warranty is up at 36,000 so I'd have it at the Jeep dealer very soon. Parts and fluids over $1700 plus labor.
Its a powertrain issue, so 5yr/60k miles

Top Bottom