Lost a wheel!

FrankenJeeper

Well driving home from work today, I made it about a quarter mile and I had a sinking feeling, and thought I had a flat tire. I pulled over and this is what I found. Back left tire, all 5 lug nuts missing, and the wheel/tire combo was hung up on the brake rotor and it left the wheel and tire pretty ate up. I'm going to pull surveillance tapes in the morning and hopefully find the culprit.

Attachments

• image-1632986271.jpg
    image-1632986271.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 252
  • image-4236648549.jpg
    image-4236648549.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 253
  • image-919256622.jpg
    image-919256622.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 254
  • image-2872789930.jpg
    image-2872789930.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 251

Moochie

Do you have any enemies? :shock: For what ever reason, that wheel location is susceptible to having wheels loosen and rolling away.

RockyJk

Well driving home from work today, I made it about a quarter mile and I had a sinking feeling, and thought I had a flat tire. I pulled over and this is what I found. Back left tire, all 5 lug nuts missing, and the wheel/tire combo was hung up on the brake rotor and it left the wheel and tire pretty ate up. I'm going to pull surveillance tapes in the morning and hopefully find the culprit.

That sucks!!!! Hope you find out who did it :mad:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

FrankenJeeper

Moochie said:
Do you have any enemies? :shock: For what ever reason, that wheel location is susceptible to having wheels loosen and rolling away.

I'm a teacher, so I'm thinking possibly a pissed of student.

Tackerdown

Banned
For what ever reason, that wheel location is susceptible to having wheels loosen and rolling away.[/QUOTE]

Please elaborate?

C.O.D.

Moochie

For what ever reason, that wheel location is susceptible to having wheels loosen and rolling away.

Please elaborate?

C.O.D.[/QUOTE]

I don't know why it happens but, there have been quite a few people who have had trouble with lug nuts loosening on the drivers side rear wheel. Some occurrences leading to the wheel coming off. It is a good idea to check all wheels and make sure that the lug nuts are torqued down correctly.

FrankenJeeper

I had to drive to Montgomery (3 hours away) last week and performed a check on everything, including the lug nuts before I left. I usually do a once over before every trip and every oil change. 35k miles with no issues until tonight. Ill take some more pictures in the morning when it's light outside and I can get to my shop.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Please elaborate?

C.O.D.

I don't know why it happens but, there have been quite a few people who have had trouble with lug nuts loosening on the drivers side rear wheel. Some occurrences leading to the wheel coming off. It is a good idea to check all wheels and make sure that the lug nuts are torqued down correctly.[/QUOTE]

This! Make sure to check the torque on your wheels regularly. This has been a problem that I have seen.

fishoutofwater

One thing I have done is to put a set of locking lug nuts on the tires. Yes they can still loosen the other lug nuts but at least you would have one that holds tight on each wheel.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I bought a set of gorilla nuts that I used to replace the factory nuts. Since they are spline drive they aren't easily removed with your common lug nut wrench. Basically every nut is a "locking" nut instead of just one. :yup:

They may still come loose on their own but it is much less likely that anyone will be able to loosen/remove them.

Holeshot

Banned
Glad to see nothing worst happened!

Here's my input from a mecanic. There is some reasons why a lug nut would come loose on its own. If there is rust on your brake disc (the area where the wheel sits), and/or on your wheel where it sits on the brake disc, and you remove your wheel, and put it back, it may cause you to loose a wheel.

I explain ; rust is corrosion, it leaves kinda loose particles of rust between your wheel and your brake. If you remove your wheel and put it back on without removing that rust, it will create a thin coat that will crumble off with vibration. If that rust crumble off, it creates an empty space between your wheel and your brake, and once there's a loose in-between, your lug nuts will become loose and will fall off sooner or later.

Tackerdown

Banned
good info I've never checked my lugs before i just set the air psi as high as it will go and use my air gun.I do believe the torch setting is around 129 ft lb ? :thinking:

Tackerdown

Banned
95 - 100 .....
I couldn't remember maybe 129 was for the lower control arms.

Samething happened to me about 2-3 weeks ago. Cept my wheel actually went flying off and I skidded on the disc for a bit. Was an Interesting ordeal.

Glad you are alright tho!!

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?4118-It-has-been-an-interesting-day
i remember reading that. a very uneasy feeling:yup:

the torque spec by chrysler is 92 to 132 ft-lbs. I always torque mine to 100.
it was in one of the write ups just couldn't remember.

Top Bottom