Let's see your creative CB installs.

mikefishes

Ok, This forum has gotten me off my ass and reminded me how much fun it is to get in the garage and wrench on something. I've managed some small mods and will be tackling an OR-FAB carrier, diff covers, and EVO D-rings this weekend.

What I would really like to see are the CB's and the installs that you guys like. I don't really want one on the center stack, as this is my DD and I don't wheel where I would need on that often. I keep seeing units where the "head unit" is tucked away somewhere and the controls are on the mic. What is the consensus on these? If I were to go with a traditional set-up where could I put it other than on top of the center stack?

I hope this is an OK place to post this. If not, excuse my noob ignorance

this is where i mounted mine. It is my DD so i didnt want it up by the rear view mirror or on the dash. it is definitely out of the way as far as im concerned and my fiance doenst complain about it being in the was as a passenger so that might be an option and it was a really easy install to put it there

IMAG1081.jpg

uniden pro 520 xl
its nothing fancy but it gets the job done for talking to my buddies on the trails and i got everything the cb the coax, antenna, stub, spring, and mount for just a little over $100 all on amazon

i have also seen that same unit mounted inside the center console but it takes some drilling holes in the bottom to fit the coax cable , i was too lazy to do that but it is really out of the way if you mount it in there :thumb:

i have also seen that same unit mounted inside the center console but it takes some drilling holes in the bottom to fit the coax cable , i was too lazy to do that but it is really out of the way if you mount it in there :thumb:

That's kind of what I was considering doing. I never have anything of real importance in the center console anyway. Do you think heat is an issue with an install with that?

That's kind of what I was considering doing. I never have anything of real importance in the center console anyway. Do you think heat is an issue with an install with that?

i have only had mine for two months or so and so far with using it its hasnt ever been hot to touch maybe a little warm but i think that is more from my floor vent blowing on it a little but i wouldnt think you would have problems with it heating up too much in there but you would have to ask someone that has one mounted in there because i am not sure

i have only had mine for two months or so and so far with using it its hasnt ever been hot to touch maybe a little warm but i think that is more from my floor vent blowing on it a little but i wouldnt think you would have problems with it heating up too much in there but you would have to ask someone that has one mounted in there because i am not sure

Thanks for the input. I just looked that unit up and the price is right for what I will use it for. I may grab one. I'm gonna ake a looh at the console and figure it out tomorrow.

Thanks for the input. I just looked that unit up and the price is right for what I will use it for. I may grab one. I'm gonna ake a looh at the console and figure it out tomorrow.

thats exactly what i was looking for something that was reasonably priced to just be able to talk to buddies on the trails and it has worked out perfect for what i need. Good luck with the search and post some pics if you get the center console mounting to work out :thumb:

I have the same Uniden 520 and a couple others in our club use them. Great for a very compact unit at a low price. I have mine mounted overhead to my cage so the position doesn't really help you though. Cobra has a comparable unit but I prefer the smaller mic on the Uniden. I'm pretty sure the cobra is the same width but slightly taller but from what I've heard about the same quality radio.

Ok, This forum has gotten me off my ass and reminded me how much fun it is to get in the garage and wrench on something. I've managed some small mods and will be tackling an OR-FAB carrier, diff covers, and EVO D-rings this weekend.

What I would really like to see are the CB's and the installs that you guys like. I don't really want one on the center stack, as this is my DD and I don't wheel where I would need on that often. I keep seeing units where the "head unit" is tucked away somewhere and the controls are on the mic. What is the consensus on these? If I were to go with a traditional set-up where could I put it other than on top of the center stack?

I hope this is an OK place to post this. If not, excuse my noob ignorance

If you ever get around to installing a cage, you can do this:

main.php

More pics and details about it can be found here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2865-Rock-Hard-4x4-JK-Sport-Cage-Installation-Write-Up

or, if you'd rather not install a cage, you can always do this:

main.php

More pics and details on it can be found here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?652-Tuffy-Security-JK-Overhead-CB-Console-Installation-Write-Up

or, if you're just looking for something down and dirty:

main.php

More can be seen here:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...wrangler-cb-radio-solutionmidland-model-1001z

:yup:

If you ever get around to installing a cage, you can do this:

main.php

More pics and details about it can be found here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2865-Rock-Hard-4x4-JK-Sport-Cage-Installation-Write-Up

or, if you'd rather not install a cage, you can always do this:

main.php

More pics and details on it can be found here:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?652-Tuffy-Security-JK-Overhead-CB-Console-Installation-Write-Up

or, if you're just looking for something down and dirty:

main.php

More can be seen here:

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...wrangler-cb-radio-solutionmidland-model-1001z

:yup:

Thanks Eddie. I like the tuffy box option. I've never seen one in a jeep (other than pictures). It looks like it would block the handles on the freedom top panels. Can you still get at those latches?

I had the Tuffy box for a couple months but had to remove it to install the cage. It has a thumbscrew to loosen it and if you run the wires correctly the box slides back to give descent access to the freedom panel latches.

It has a fairly large enclosure and will fit the larger CBs. I did some measuring and believe I could have fit the Uniden 520 along with a single DIN stereo in a custom bracket but removed it before I finished the project. Security wise it is a great product. At $200 it is a bit pricey but I wouldn't worry about parking with the doors off if I still had it.

If you do only run a small CB in it there is a lot of extra room for other valuables that you don't trust in the stock glove box or center console.

Cut and pasted from my build thread last week:

Cobra 75 installed earlier this week. I decided to do a "temporary" install to see if I like it and how it works. The Cobra 75 has all the controls on the mic. There is a small connector box under the seat.

Antenna mounted to an existing 1/2" threaded hole in the Teraflex tire carrier. Had the welder make me a simple aluminum L-bracket. SWR meter reads amazingly low for this crappy location; 1.2 or something like that. The one good thing about the TF carrier is its aluminum and well grounded through the hinge. I have no external ground wire!

View attachment 26775

Then I brought the coax in through the carpet, down to the back seats and over to underneath the front driver seat. I just set the little connector box for the Cobra under the seat for now. The handset plugs in there and will sit just to the left of the transfer case shifter. For now I just toss the handset under the seat, but if this becomes permanent I will mount the clip holder along the vertical face of the cowling where the handset is in this pic. It is well out of the way of my long legs:

View attachment 26776

The remote speaker is up next to my head on the left near the B pillar. Wires run down the pillar, under the rear full-length mat. I just used a few wire ties to hold the speaker for now.

View attachment 26777

View attachment 26778

It would be simple to remove the whole thing if it doesn't work out. We'll see how it goes.

Dave

Top Bottom