Leaky washer fluid reservoir

Atch

I thought I'd share this incase anyone has the same issue and no luck finding the leak. After getting back from a long road trip I left my jeep parked outside in subzero temps and the next morning I had a huge puddle. This happened a couple of times this year when I left it outside. I finally took it in for warranty work and at first they couldn't find a leak. They said it held fluid all day without any issues. They parked it outside and it leaked out overnight. After a quick internet search the mechanic said apparently Jeep used a non rubber grommet in the pump and it shrinks in subzero temps. He replaced the pump and siliconed the grommet in the new pump and all is good again.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I thought I'd share this incase anyone has the same issue and no luck finding the leak. After getting back from a long road trip I left my jeep parked outside in subzero temps and the next morning I had a huge puddle. This happened a couple of times this year when I left it outside. I finally took it in for warranty work and at first they couldn't find a leak. They said it held fluid all day without any issues. They parked it outside and it leaked out overnight. After a quick internet search the mechanic said apparently Jeep used a non rubber grommet in the pump and it shrinks in subzero temps. He replaced the pump and siliconed the grommet in the new pump and all is good again.

well that's good to know. a while back i saw a puddle of blue from washer fluid, filled it up and hasn't leaked again.

jodonn

I have a 13 with the same problem. It only happens when it gets sub zero temps. Sounds like that might be the problem. Thanks.

Josh27

Thanks for the info! I thought I was the only one who had this problem. Happens almost every time the temp gets below zero and I couldn't figure out where it was leaking from :thinking:

CerOf

Fantastic! You've saved me some coin. I had a big blue icicle hanging off my diff the other day when it was ~17. I add fluid and it holds. Only leaks over night.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Mdrobb

Great to hear this. I too thought I had a leak last week when the temp dropped. I was ready to blame the fluid.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using WAYALIFE mobile app

robx251

Caught the Bug
Great news I have seen a few of these puddles under my rig in the morning. Looked at it quickly and didn't appear to be coolant so I wasn't concerned about it. But glad to hear it is just the washer fluid like I thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Common problem in JKs, and its easy to detect in sub 0 temps.....

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

dcaprio

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I ran into this issue over the past two weeks in the recent Colorado sub-zero weather. I went to my 2012 Jeep JKUR to find a puddle of pink/red fluid in the snow in the driveway just behind the front drivers tire with a pink/red icicle. At first I thought the tranny coolant line finally wore through as I have been waiting 15 months for the recall parts to come in. I soon discovered it was not tranny fluid, but in fact washer fluid. Well it finally warmed up today and I discovered it was leaking around the washer pump. Looking closer it seemed that the grommet was the issue. Looking on this forum and a few others I saw that this was a relatively common issue in very cold weather I found the part number online and couldn't find a local dealer who had one in stock. I found one on Amazon for about $8. However I also found one for a BMW that looked similar with one key difference-it appeared to be made of black rubber vs the Mopar white hard plastic. I located it at a local BMW dealership who stocks these as the BMWs have similar issues. When we compared them in the shop, they were exactly the same except for the rubber vs plastic. And it was only $4. So I purchased it, installed it, and I have to say it seems to seat better in the reservoir and appears to seal well. I'll wait to see once it gets cold again to see if it continues to leak. Overall it appeared to be a slightly better design material-wise. I can post up the BMW's part number and a photo tomorrow when I get to work if anyone's interested.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I ran into this issue over the past two weeks in the recent Colorado sub-zero weather. I went to my 2012 Jeep JKUR to find a puddle of pink/red fluid in the snow in the driveway just behind the front drivers tire with a pink/red icicle. At first I thought the tranny coolant line finally wore through as I have been waiting 15 months for the recall parts to come in. I soon discovered it was not tranny fluid, but in fact washer fluid. Well it finally warmed up today and I discovered it was leaking around the washer pump. Looking closer it seemed that the grommet was the issue. Looking on this forum and a few others I saw that this was a relatively common issue in very cold weather I found the part number online and couldn't find a local dealer who had one in stock. I found one on Amazon for about $8. However I also found one for a BMW that looked similar with one key difference-it appeared to be made of black rubber vs the Mopar white hard plastic. I located it at a local BMW dealership who stocks these as the BMWs have similar issues. When we compared them in the shop, they were exactly the same except for the rubber vs plastic. And it was only $4. So I purchased it, installed it, and I have to say it seems to seat better in the reservoir and appears to seal well. I'll wait to see once it gets cold again to see if it continues to leak. Overall it appeared to be a slightly better design material-wise. I can post up the BMW's part number and a photo tomorrow when I get to work if anyone's interested.

Would you mind posting a part number so that people can purchase em online instead of trekking down to a BMW dealer? Pics would be a plus of course.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Problem solved for me. Thanks. Left the 2012 JKUR ungaraged during the last cold snap where it got nearly -15. Found a small green-blue stain in the snow a couple of days later. Thought sure it was a stain from the MJ 'cause it's old, and checked for coolant leaks.:grayno: Boy, was I ever out in left field.:yup:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Just thinking back...I've had my 2012 JKU in some seriously arctic temps and never had this issue....then I thought to myself, and remembered that on all my vehicles, I always bleed out the factory fill blue crap, and refill with arctic washer fluid that doesn't freeze....maybe the solution is simply to swap the fluid?

dcaprio

With regards to the washer fluid, I did have a winter deicer fluid in the reservoir after flushing out the summer bugwash fluid.

Vilmars

I've had two pumps and washer fluid tanks replaced. Dealer said not to use "Rain-X" washer fluid. This year, sticking with the regular -45oC washer fluid, no leaks so far!

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I've had two pumps and washer fluid tanks replaced. Dealer said not to use "Rain-X" washer fluid. This year, sticking with the regular -45oC washer fluid, no leaks so far!

I used nothing but RainX on my 2012 without issue. What is the reason he said not to use RainX fluid?

Top Bottom