Lahaina is gone! 😔

Brute

Hooked
I would be really surprised if there was over 1000 dead. After paradise there was thousands missing for a while too. I would guess no more than 200.
That’s not what I’m hearing from my buddies on Maui…but I hope you’re right….
Lahaina is not rural like Paradise…and south west Maui is a pretty close knit community

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That’s not what I’m hearing from my buddies on Maui…but I hope you’re right….
Lahaina is not rural like Paradise…and south west Maui is a pretty close knit community
Paradise had 25,000 people when the fire hit. Lahaina had 12,000. Maui as a whole is bigger but the fire didn't hit all of Maui.

Brute

Hooked
Paradise had 25,000 people when the fire hit. Lahaina had 12,000. Maui as a whole is bigger but the fire didn't hit all of Maui.
Lahaina has about 13.5k residents, and close to 5k tourists on any given day…

again, I hope you’re right…but my old dive industry buddies on island hear the death toll is going to a lot higher than what you think it’s going to be…

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I heard from people at Maui county meetings that they’re expecting minimum 500… many of whom are kids who were home alone as they closed the schools due to the forecasted storms. No sirens. No warning. No time.

edit: and they’re trying to keep that under wraps because of the obvious uproar that would cause.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I heard from people at Maui county meetings that they’re expecting minimum 500… many of whom are kids who were home alone as they closed the schools due to the forecasted storms. No sirens. No warning. No time.

edit: and they’re trying to keep that under wraps because of the obvious uproar that would cause.
Terrible.

Brute

Hooked

I've heard that too...the fire was so intense being whipped by fierce winds that it burned through the residential area in an hour...many of the bodies have been cremated in place...

AegisFang

Hawaii is a healing place for me, I feel at peace there. My uncle and cousins are kanaka maoli, I was brought up around the Hawaiian culture and love the people. I hope the world steps in to rebuild Lahaina so that all of the kanaka maoli can heal from losing so much.

3VOLVE

Caught the Bug
My wife and I were out in Maui the week prior. We toured the island and checked out Lahaina and did some kayaking and snorkeling just off of the Kamehameha Iki Park. Just devastating and our prayers are with them.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Top Bottom