KC FE4 Amber Backlight

nixjhnsn

hey all,

does anyone have an idea or a solution on how to wire the amber backlighting of KC flex era 4 to the DRL/Side marker light of the JLU Sahara. I am just not able to wrap my head around it. when it comes to wiring I find it too chaotic. if anyone on here can advice which wire/fuse to tap will be of great help.

on another note. as the DRL has two stage lighting day light running mode (bright) & a dim mode (dims when headlights turn on) this is stock from the factory. my question is will this dim function turn off the amber backlighting on the FE4 or just dim the backlighting as it is on the same circuit as the DRL/side marker. i am looking for a solution where the amber backlighting will turn off when I turn on the floods.

thank you,
Nix

Lperdue

What type of switches are you running, because some of them can be programmed. This would allow you to have constant power applied when you start the jeep and then toggle off when needed.

Lperdue

If you wanting to use the DRL circuit and want to be able to cut power to the amber lights.

I would run a simple toggle switch to the KC back lighting controlling the ground side of the circuit. Power would be supplied by the DRLs when the car is running (won’t be at risk of draining the battery). Plus now you can cut off/on the back lights by flipping a switch (cutting off the ground side of the circuit).

Hope this helps.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
White wire with brown tracer in the front fenders can be easily tapped into.

I don’t know about turning them off if you wire this way though. I used individual buttons for each feature (backlight, regular light).
Is that wire a constant on, or is it on essentially when the dash lights are on? I need to tap a wire for the led on my compressor switch.

Lperdue

Is that wire a constant on, or is it on essentially when the dash lights are on? I need to tap a wire for the led on my compressor switch.
Depending on if you have LED's but it usually will come if the car ignition is on run. Another place you can use the the Cigar lighter fuse #52. This would send power when ever the car ignition is in run or in accessory power.

Edit: A good spot I think you can splice into would be either the License plate light or the rear tail lights, if you want the back light for your switch to be in sequence with the dash.

1643913466298.png

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Depending on if you have LED's but it usually will come if the car ignition is on run. Another place you can use the the Cigar lighter fuse #52. This would send power when ever the car ignition is in run or in accessory power.

Edit: A good spot I think you can splice into would be either the License plate light or the rear tail lights, if you want the back light for your switch to be in sequence with the dash.

View attachment 371855
I don’t need that kind of power. I just need a dash light lead that will only be on at night to illuminate the switch.

nixjhnsn

What type of switches are you running, because some of them can be programmed. This would allow you to have constant power applied when you start the jeep and then toggle off when needed.
at the moment i am running the MOPAR AUX SWITCH BANK.

LazyGreek

I have the flex's. 2 pairs..in the front bumper and the A pillar. I merged the white wires together and ran them all to 1 aux switch. pretty easy.

cinnur

I have the Flex 3 and 4 lights, and I combined the amber back lights of them into a single switch on my Switch-Pro, so I manually control them at this time.
I am thinking of using the triggering function of the Switch-Pro in some form to have them turn on under certain conditions.
I believe that KC recommends that the back amber lights and the white lights should not be on simultaneously.

Rick6633

I have installed an S-pod on my JL. I have the Flex 4 lights. I've just got the main lights wired to one switch and the backlight wire separately to another switch.

Top Bottom