JL Steering - I hate it

4PLAY

This is possible, however there are JL's all over running between 2 and 4 inches of lift with no complaints of bump steer except you. I suppose your aftermarket axle could be the difference.

All of these things can cause poor handling and maybe induce death wobble but to the best of my knowledge not cause bump steer.

Perhaps your definition of bump steer and mine are different, either way good luck with the repairs.

Just a little background...I am a bit picky and also a bit OCD. In a previous career life I was an ASE certified line tech at a large Chrysler-Dodge dealer and later a Mercedes tech, shop foreman and then Service Manager for one of the largest Mercedes dealers in the Southwest. I have also driven a few friends lifted JL's and honestly there is NO way I would accept the way they drive/handle on the road...Mostly due to sloppy workmanship, mismatched components and/or tire choice.

My goal is to get my JLR with a 2.5" lift and 37" KO2's to handle on road as close as possible to how it did previously with just a 2" lift and 35"KO2's...I think 35" tires are the sweet spot for a 2-door JL, she ran smoothly down the highway at 85mph tracking straight as an arrow, had no bump steer and performed outstanding off road on our dry rocky Arizona trails...

jlbanzet

My JKU was on 35’s with a puck lift and stock stabilizer. Put on the EVO King Coilover kit and death wobble started. New stabilizer helped but could tell it was still trying to wobble. Installed new synergy track bar and sector shaft brace and it handles like a dream now.

astros3111

My JKU was on 35’s with a puck lift and stock stabilizer. Put on the EVO King Coilover kit and death wobble started. New stabilizer helped but could tell it was still trying to wobble. Installed new synergy track bar and sector shaft brace and it handles like a dream now.
Just ordered the sector shaft brace from SteerSmart. Hoping this will relieve a bit of the issue....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How so? Is there a big difference in quality between the two brands? For sure don't want to put a crap part on the jeep..
I have seen their drag links break at the TREs but otherwise, their other stuff seems to be okay. My big problem with them is that they're full of themselves and they behaved like douchebags here on this forum.

Just disappointed to see that they still get recommended as much as they do.

astros3111

I have seen their drag links break at the TREs but otherwise, their other stuff seems to be okay. My big problem with them is that they're full of themselves and they behaved like douchebags here on this forum.

Just disappointed to see that they still get recommended as much as they do.
10-4 and thanks for that intel. I may just end up changing that order.

jroever

Just like a lot of people here - JLUR DW and bump steer after 3.5" lift with 37" tires. Had the alu gearbox replaced for free, upgraded most steering components and a few shops looked at my setup (made small corrections to caster and or simply blamed DW on the Tire Brand ... sigh, DW still there). After finally upgrading stock ball joints to Dynatrac HD ProSteer, DW is fully gone and bump steer is minimal. One Year and one Rubicon trip later everything still running fine! There might be other contributors to your DW - but do yourself a favor - anybody running 37" or larger tires on a JL, upgrade your ball joints - cuz the stock ones are not cutting it, too soft. Pretty happy with my steering now.

Sippican

I had the DW when I first got my JL.
The dealer tried many things.
I told them to swap out the steering stabilizer with a FOX stabilizer.
They did it, it fixed the wobble.....that was 60,000 miles ago.
No lift kit crap to complicate the issue.

Top Bottom