JL JOURNAL : FLEX TEST of Our JL Wrangler with EVO Long Arms & Coilovers

SLO

For the most part, shock travel will always be the determining and/or limiting factor as to how much flex you will have.

We have our JL set up at about 3.5" of lift.

Wasn’t directed towards me but it’s a combination of shock length and the position of the shock. The JL allows for the shock tower up front to be positioned better and the JL kit close to a 14” coilover I believe. And the rear has different shock position as well and the longer shock. But the positioning of the shocks is what allows the use of a longer shock.

Thanks guys! Sorry, I didn’t word my question very clearly. I was trying to understand what allowed the JL to have such a longer shock travel. That helps, Benito. This is making me want to sell my JK even more and put the money into my JL. I was thinking about ordering EVO coil overs for the JK but I’m going to get them for the JL instead.

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks guys! Sorry, I didn’t word my question very clearly. I was trying to understand what allowed the JL to have such a longer shock travel. That helps, Benito. This is making me want to sell my JK even more and put the money into my JL. I was thinking about ordering EVO coil overs for the JK but I’m going to get them for the JL instead.

Just get the new Can-Am Maverick X3 rs Turbo. It only costs $30k and has 24" of wheel travel...haha.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Anyone think there’s any chance they’ll make an adaptation of this kit for the JK? Seems a shame to go for the DTD when this setup exists for another platform, and is probably cheaper...

Yes I know I know, it makes sense to start over with a JL, but my JK is almost paid for!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Anyone think there’s any chance they’ll make an adaptation of this kit for the JK? Seems a shame to go for the DTD when this setup exists for another platform, and is probably cheaper...

Yes I know I know, it makes sense to start over with a JL, but my JK is almost paid for!

It's not as simple as adapting the kit to the JK. It's how the kit mounts to the JL. Different shock configurations etc.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
It's not as simple as adapting the kit to the JK. It's how the kit mounts to the JL. Different shock configurations etc.

I haven’t spent too much time with a JL, and absolutely none under one. But couldn’t similar mounts be created for the JK to run a similar CO? I know the JL is a bit different, but I didn’t think it was THAT different.

Aside from the ability to run outboard shocks in the rear due to the narrower frame stance.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I haven’t spent too much time with a JL, and absolutely none under one. But couldn’t similar mounts be created for the JK to run a similar CO? I know the JL is a bit different, but I didn’t think it was THAT different.

Aside from the ability to run outboard shocks in the rear due to the narrower frame stance.

If it could have been done, it would have been done.

jesse3638

Hooked

It may also have to do with axle flex and location. If I remember limit straps were used on Moby to prevent driveline binding issues. I'm sure anything can be done but it'll all come at a price. The purpose of Bolt on CO's is to be able to Bolt them on with little to no fab work. If you started going down that road might as well go DTD. Even then it doesn't seem like you'll get the travel of the JL. Mel has been in the business for a little while. I think if he had a realistic way to achieve more from the JK Bolt on kit it'd already be done.

Edit: Adam beat me..haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
If it could have been done, it would have been done.

It may also have to do with axle flex and location. If I remember limit straps were used on Moby to prevent driveline binding issues. I'm sure anything can be done but it'll all come at a price. The purpose of Bolt on CO's is to be able to Bolt them on with little to no fab work. If you started going down that road might as well go DTD. Even then it doesn't seem like you'll get the travel of the JL. Mel has been in the business for a little while. I think if he had a realistic way to achieve more from the JK Bolt on kit it'd already be done.

Edit: Adam beat me..haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

You two make a solid argument. Lol Mel obviously know a hell of a lot more than any of us, and I do trust his judgement that he hasn’t made such a kit for the JK.

I know it’s only an inch difference, it just is a tough pill to swallow to go DTD on a JK and still have bypass shocks to rebuild as well. But then again, I suppose that’s why people are trading for the JL now.

Exodus 4x4

Okay, I double checked my notes and here's what I can tell you.

The EVO JK DTD System yields 14" of vertical travel front and rear
The EVO JK Bolt-On Coilovers offer about 12" of vertical travel up front and almost 11" in the rear.

The EVO JL Bolt-On Coilovers offer 15" of vertical travel front and rear.
That's about 1" more than a JK DTD offers.
It is also 3" more than a front JK bolt-on coilover and 4" more than a rear JK bolt-on coilover.

I might be wrong, but I think on the JL you have to have long arms in addition to the coilovers to yield 100% of the available travel. The standard coilover kit comes with limiting straps in the front to prevent binding on the “short” arm setup.

doubletapdaddy

Caught the Bug
Another thing to consider is that the JK bolt on coilovers are 2.0", while the JL bolt on coilovers are 2.5". I park next to a JK with the EVO bolt ons, and the difference is pretty obvious. Also you do need the long arms to realize it's full flex potential, otherwise you will be running limiting straps.

All that being said, there is no way that the JL bolt on coilovers will keep up with the DTD on whoops at speed.

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
I need to find time to wheel my JL. Then I could maybe justify this insanely awesome set up.

Great vid (sans damage) and I sure do hope to come out and play one of these months. Been way too damn long.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not sure why it'd be a shame. The DTD will spank our JL bombing across the desert.

I could be wrong, but I thought the standard DTD front was about 12” travel without other modifications. Rear is typically strapped at 14”.

The DTD uses 12" coilovers up front and 8" in the rear. Because of how the mounts are designed with the angle to the back, the fronts yield 14" of travel and the EVO lever allows the rear to have 14" of travel as well.

I might be wrong, but I think on the JL you have to have long arms in addition to the coilovers to yield 100% of the available travel. The standard coilover kit comes with limiting straps in the front to prevent binding on the “short” arm setup.

This is correct.

Another thing to consider is that the JK bolt on coilovers are 2.0", while the JL bolt on coilovers are 2.5". I park next to a JK with the EVO bolt ons, and the difference is pretty obvious. Also you do need the long arms to realize it's full flex potential, otherwise you will be running limiting straps.

All that being said, there is no way that the JL bolt on coilovers will keep up with the DTD on whoops at speed.

This ^^^^^

Flex isn't everything and the DTD's will kick our JL's ass at high speeds.

Brute

Hooked
Not sure why it'd be a shame. The DTD will spank our JL bombing across the desert.

The DTD uses 12" coilovers up front and 8" in the rear. Because of how the mounts are designed with the angle to the back, the fronts yield 14" of travel and the EVO lever allows the rear to have 14" of travel as well.

This is correct.

This ^^^^^

Flex isn't everything and the DTD's will kick our JL's ass at high speeds.

Is there room to add some triple bypass shocks for better ride at speed in the desert?...

Top Bottom