JL battery charging start stop not working

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
My 2.0 apparently has the pneumatic start/stop system. So 450 miles into a 2000 mile trip into some of the most remote areas in the country, I got a scary email from Jeep telling me that there was a problem and that I should take the jeep to a dealership immediately for analysis. I was told that the engine might get wedged in such a way that it would not start again without major work. So I proceeded on my journey and nothing bad happened.

I have since received another scary email about the throttle control after just driving down/up two of the more challenging 3000+ ft winding grades in the country and across seldom traveled routes in California and Arizona. Good reason I did not notice since I would likely already be dead if the described scenario had happened.
Pneumatic??? The e-torque engines have a 48v DC secondary battery that is used. Engine is started with a 3phase AC induction motor. Not pneumatic. Nothing to do with air.

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
This light turned on on the dash today.
Do I need the new auxiliary battery?

Attachments

• IMG_3662.png
    IMG_3662.png
    234 KB · Views: 7

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This light turned on on the dash today.
Do I need the new auxiliary battery?
All the lights you've listed or just one specifically? Either way, it's probable that you have an auxiliary battery going out especially if you've owned your JL for more than 2-3 years.

Andy5160

Hooked
All the lights you've listed or just one specifically? Either way, it's probable that you have an auxiliary battery going out especially if you've owned your JL for more than 2-3 years.
Thanks Eddie. Just the start/stop light is on and yes I am at three years mark

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that sounds about right to me. What sucks is that this auxiliary battery thing is only a problem on 3.6L engines and without e-torque. Essentially, older JLs.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep!!!! Any recommendation on the replacement battery other than OEM?
I just installed what my local Autozone had in stock but the BOSCH that kevman65 posted up would be a solid replacement. I should note, I personally would replace the main battery too as it's probably going to go out soon too. I did Odyssey previously but have since been using Interstate from Costco and have been quite happy with it.

I just installed what my local Autozone had in stock but the BOSCH that kevman65 posted up would be a solid replacement. I should note, I personally would replace the main battery too as it's probably going to go out soon too. I did Odyssey previously but have since been using Interstate from Costco and have been quite happy with it.
Yep. Replace both.
You’ll just be spinning your wheels if you just do one or the other. Few months back my local Jeep dealer said there was a National back order for the auxiliary batteries. So dumb.

kevman65

Hooked
I haven't taken dimensions of the AUX battery, but I'd bet dollars to donuts there is a power sports (motorcycle, atv, side by side, jet ski) battery that is the same size, and better bang for the buck.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Glad you had luck with interstate cause I have had nothing but. I don’t think you could pay me to run one. (Well I would probably run one if you paid me in all honesty)

onlyone

Mine started that crap a while back. I deleted the Aux and bought an Odyssey main. Works like a charm. Although it’s much easier on a diesel the same can be done with the V6 too.

Mine started that crap a while back. I deleted the Aux and bought an Odyssey main. Works like a charm. Although it’s much easier on a diesel the same can be done with the V6 too.
At least it’s pretty easy to delete… it seems the etorque system is way too involved to remove with its own motor, cooling system, etc. The big ass 48v battery in the back is probably way more expensive to replace than the AUX battery.

The problem could be as simple as the hood not being latched correctly so the two switches to the right of the radiator are not properly depressed. This happened to me once when one side was folded in rather than latched.

onlyone

At least it’s pretty easy to delete… it seems the etorque system is way too involved to remove with its own motor, cooling system, etc. The big ass 48v battery in the back is probably way more expensive to replace than the AUX battery.
Truth. I was more talking about the OG JL v6 without the gaytorque.

jeeeep

Hooked
Glad you had luck with interstate cause I have had nothing but. I don’t think you could pay me to run one. (Well I would probably run one if you paid me in all honesty)
I've had mixed results with Interstate, the latest one I bought for the JK to replace the Odyssey was a temporary buy since I couldn't find an AGM, but it's turned out to be a great battery and still working.

Also think a wet cell battery vs AGM makes a difference on how well it takes a charge.

Odyssey replaced the 1st one but not the 2nd because it sat too long below the minimum recommended voltage; it becomes non-rechargeable under those conditions. The interstate has been well below Odyssey's recommended minimum voltage and still takes a charge.

onlyone

I've had mixed results with Interstate, the latest one I bought for the JK to replace the Odyssey was a temporary buy since I couldn't find an AGM, but it's turned out to be a great battery and still working.

Also think a wet cell battery vs AGM makes a difference on how well it takes a charge.

Odyssey replaced the 1st one but not the 2nd because it sat too long below the minimum recommended voltage; it becomes non-rechargeable under those conditions. The interstate has been well below Odyssey's recommended minimum voltage and still takes a charge.
FYI You need an AGM charger for the odyssey. It will discharge much deeper than any wet cell. You just need the correct charger. It does take a while when under their limits but it will charge.

Andy5160

Hooked
Thank you all for your input. Will shop around and order something tonight.
My regular battery is a year old. When I had my Jeep at the shop after some dumbass rear ended me another dumbass at the shop played with my CB which was wired to the battery. Shop replaced it with interstate.
Thank you again

jeeeep

Hooked
FYI You need an AGM charger for the odyssey. It will discharge much deeper than any wet cell. You just need the correct charger. It does take a while when under their limits but it will charge.
I have the 20A Odyssey charger. As long as the battery has not sat under the minimum voltage for too long or multiple times, it recharges the battery fine. I'd recharge it on a schedule but sometimes it would sit und die; it got to the point where it would not hold a charge.

Odyssey has since updated their warranty requirements:
:...providing test results on the battery is required for warranty consideration, so the battery will need to be tested at a local auto parts store:

The part quoted to me from Odyssey's Warranty agreement:

" • Overcharging, undercharging, charging or installing in reverse polarity.

• Allowing the Battery to be deeply discharged via parasitic load from prolonged storage while in transit to the end customer (before warranty start date) or during in service operations. Prolonged storage (>14 days) of vehicles with fuel injection computers, alarms, GPS and other electrical devices that require continuous battery power to support active memories; this power drain must be offset with a maintenance-float charger, periodic charging or disconnecting the Battery to prevent irreversible damage to the Battery plates. Mishandling of the Battery such as but not limited to using the terminals for lifting or carrying the Battery"

Top Bottom