JKX 2014 - Let the selection begin...

Scientology help me save 15% or more on my Jeep insurance.

My nasal passages may have suffered 2nd burns from the hot coffee that was projected through them after reading this hilarious bit of humor:thumb:......I'll be sure to send you the bill Gregory :D

~Woodrow~

Now was this the metal guru that argued that bolt on sliders were stronger than weld on sliders?

I don't remember him arguing it being stronger, it was more that he did not want to weld anything to his jeeps frame. He believed the HAZ (heat affected zone) was/could potentially be problematic (not his exact words)

The heat-affected zone (HAZ) is the area of base material, either a metal or a thermoplastic, which is not melted and has had its microstructure and properties altered by welding or heat intensive cutting operations. The heat from the welding process and subsequent re-cooling causes this change from the weld interface to the termination of the sensitizing temperature in the base metal. The extent and magnitude of property change depends primarily on the base material, the weld filler metal, and the amount and concentration of heat input by the welding process.

My nasal passages may have suffered 2nd burns from the hot coffee that was projected through them after reading this hilarious bit of humor:thumb:......I'll be sure to send you the bill Gregory :D

~Woodrow~

You are welcome sucka!

Last edited:
I don't remember him arguing it being stronger, it was more that he did not want to weld anything to his jeeps frame. He believed the HAZ (heat affected zone) was/could potentially be problematic (not his exact words)

The heat-affected zone (HAZ) is the area of base material, either a metal or a thermoplastic, which is not melted and has had its microstructure and properties altered by welding or heat intensive cutting operations. The heat from the welding process and subsequent re-cooling causes this change from the weld interface to the termination of the sensitizing temperature in the base metal. The extent and magnitude of property change depends primarily on the base material, the weld filler metal, and the amount and concentration of heat input by the welding process.

!
ahh yes, i had to go look for this thread. i remember the poetry in your response. one of the best quotes i've seen.

"Look brother, my point many post ago after you touted how great it was you saved $650 by pulling parts from a 2010 to put on a 2013, is basically this; if you build a rig with the intentions of unbuilding the rig someday to trade up, trade in, whatever the case, that's awesome. But you aren't saving a dime in the long run. Some of us are building a rig for the long haul, for strength, the ability to drive to, attend, complete multiple JKX's and return home, then to go hit the trails around town, drive to the rubicon, hit Johnson Valley, roll your rig over in the rocks and be home in time for breakfast the next day. The bolt on rig will show its weaknesses quickly when compared to a welded rig. I know, I have broken everything on many vehicles. If you are going to brag about the world of academia and degrees collected within those hallowed halls, I have got a trail, a race course, an event, a shop full of greasy big, dumb and happy mechanics that will absolutely shred an engineer's phd while he's trying to explain how "that can't possibly work". Education is great, I have one, use it occassionally too. Don't take offense by all the back and forth. Here's something for everyone to sleep on tonight; a wise man once said "off roading used to be a brain trust....now it's just a bunch of mail order brides". That's deep shit...... "
GCM2

I have to ask here, I have always been a fan of welding rather than bolting, a friend I worked with argued (with a great many years of metal working experience) that it's always better if possible to bolt to the frame rather than weld, I asked about pre & post-heating and didn't get a firm answer really, he was to the point where he thought I would weld anyway and it wasn't worth arguing.

Hands down welding is better than bolting, at least when it comes to C/A, track bar and shock mounts, but should you pre-heat and/or post-heat a frame weld?

I have to ask here, I have always been a fan of welding rather than bolting, a friend I worked with argued (with a great many years of metal working experience) that it's always better if possible to bolt to the frame rather than weld, I asked about pre & post-heating and didn't get a firm answer really, he was to the point where he thought I would weld anyway and it wasn't worth arguing.

Hands down welding is better than bolting, at least when it comes to C/A, track bar and shock mounts, but should you pre-heat and/or post-heat a frame weld?

This isn't the thread for it. Start another one. We don't need a repeat of last year. :crazyeyes:

Looking forward this seeing the location and once again the great video's that go along with this event...... One day I hope to get in ..... I will not miss entering next year that's for sure ..... Chris you are a lucky bastard hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I can't wait to see all the awesome trails and awesome places you all get to see. I hope one day my Jeep will be worthy enough to make the trip.

Sent from my SM-N900P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Philippe
View attachment 84145[/QUOTE]

I know this is really old thread, but i re-watch the 2014 JKX last night and noticed this rig a little more than i did before. It looks like it may have a Ripp Supercharger or something similar. but wondering if anyone know if the owner is still running a V6 engine? When i was watching the JKX again i noticed the engine sound, and it almost sounded like a diesel; anyone know of any information on it?

I know this is really old thread, but i re-watch the 2014 JKX last night and noticed this rig a little more than i did before. It looks like it may have a Ripp Supercharger or something similar. but wondering if anyone know if the owner is still running a V6 engine? When i was watching the JKX again i noticed the engine sound, and it almost sounded like a diesel; anyone know of any information on it?[/QUOTE]

He just had the RIPP. That's why he always had to give it so much skinny pedal to get up everything. What little power boost it really has to offer is all on the high end of the RPM. If it weren't for the ProRocks he had, he would have broken something for sure.

He was still running a v6 I believe he had the ripp super charger.

Thats what i thought.

I know this is really old thread, but i re-watch the 2014 JKX last night and noticed this rig a little more than i did before. It looks like it may have a Ripp Supercharger or something similar. but wondering if anyone know if the owner is still running a V6 engine? When i was watching the JKX again i noticed the engine sound, and it almost sounded like a diesel; anyone know of any information on it?

He just had the RIPP. That's why he always had to give it so much skinny pedal to get up everything. What little power boost it really has to offer is all on the high end of the RPM. If it weren't for the ProRocks he had, he would have broken something for sure.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense now and i can see how much skinny pedal he would give it. i just wasn't sure because the sound of the engine didn't seem like a V6 even with the Ripp on it. Thanks Eddie.

Top Bottom