JK Transfer Case rear output seal

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Anyone had to replace one? I can’t find much information out there besides part numbers. Haven’t even found an exploded view of the 241OR. Looks like mine has a slight leak. Though I’m not sure if it’s the output shaft seal or just seeping through the yoke o-ring. Any info is appreciated.

jesse3638

Hooked
Anyone had to replace one? I can’t find much information out there besides part numbers. Haven’t even found an exploded view of the 241OR. Looks like mine has a slight leak. Though I’m not sure if it’s the output shaft seal or just seeping through the yoke o-ring. Any info is appreciated.
I've done the output seal on the front. The rear is probably easier as access to it will be better. Post up some pics of what your seeing.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I've done the output seal on the front. The rear is probably easier as access to it will be better. Post up some pics of what your seeing.
This is what I’m seeing. I’m assuming after pulling the yoke I’ll have to pull that housing to get the seal out? Wouldn’t think the leak would look like this just from the yoke O-ring right?

B0D0663F-1395-472B-A4D0-5DA506B2177F.jpeg

black pearl

Hooked
This is what I’m seeing. I’m assuming after pulling the yoke I’ll have to pull that housing to get the seal out? Wouldn’t think the leak would look like this just from the yoke O-ring right?

View attachment 373012
If it was the oring wouldn’t it be coming out from by the universal? That just stops fluid from traveling up the splines. Looks to be the seal to me.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Pull the yoke/flange and the seal will pry right out. Don't over think this. Simple install .
Finally found an exploded view and part number. Wasn’t sure which side of the housing/bearing retainer that seal installed from. Looks like you’re correct though and the only thing that needs to be removed would be the yoke. Thanks.

166BFE5C-DD56-4553-B637-1A9B0C3BF27B.png

WJCO

Meme King
That’s what I was thinking too. And would be flinging everywhere.
Prior to tearing it apart, make sure there is no play. Some transfer cases have a bushing in the output housing. If that wears out, the output member will have play and can cause the seal to leak or get damaged. I don't recall JKs having issues with either but I've seen it many times on other vehicles.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Prior to tearing it apart, make sure there is no play. Some transfer cases have a bushing in the output housing. If that wears out, the output member will have play and can cause the seal to leak or get damaged. I don't recall JKs having issues with either but I've seen it many times on other vehicles.
10-4. Thanks for the tip. *no homo

jesse3638

Hooked
As mentioned it just prys out. Here's the tools you'll need.

Seal puller
ABS reducers 3" to 2", 2" to 1.5"

20220311_090306.jpg
Once you get started with the seal puller it'll destroy it so there is no going back. I found the ABS fittings work well to tap the new seal in so it doesn't get all bent up.

Top Bottom