JK Steering Box Removal & PSC O-Ring Replacement Write-Up

wyorubi

Just used this write-up to pull my psc box and chase the threads on the top ports (I cross threaded the ports trying to take a short cut). Thanks for taking the time to do this write-up Eddie. I don't post much on the interwebs but always find myself coming to Wayalife to get the info I need. Thanks to everyone who fills this forum with great info, its much appreciated.

wjtstudios

Hooked
JK Steering Box Removal & PSC O-Ring Replacement Write-Up

Thanks Eddie! I'm installing the Big bore XD this week and although it's not exactly the same, it gives me a lot of insight on how to get it done having never done a steering box before. Thanks agin!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Cadima

Thanks Eddie! I'm installing the Big bore XD this week and although it's not exactly the same, it gives me a lot of insight on how to get it done having never done a steering box before. Thanks agin!

How'd the XD install go? What's different? thx

wjtstudios

Hooked

How'd the XD install go? What's different? thx

Good, but a little messy draining the exist fluid. The size for sure is different on the install!! It's a heavy beast. I brought it up and in above the axle. To keep it safe with me under it, I had a strap on it with my dad above taking up the slack. That let me position it a lot easier. I had the bolts set in the holes so it was easy to set that lower front bolt as soon as it was lined up. The bleeding process took a lot longer than I had thought. I had to repeat the steps to get the air out. Massive difference on the ease of turning the 37s. It's like my wife's traverse. I've only had it on for a day, but so far it does what's advertised.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The one thing that I would like to add to Eddie's install write up, which was extremely helpful, is when you strap the steering wheel to the brake pedal to do it lightly or better yet attach the strap to the pedal mount behind. By keeping it strapped up for 24 hours it damaged or tweaked the brake light sensor at the top of the pedal. causing the brake lights to stay on. Simple fix swapping it out, but one less headache to deal with!

djselect24

LOL!! It's a lot easier to do if you follow my tips and tricks :yup:

I replaced my steering box on my 2007 JKU, now my brakes are stiff, I have to really mash down on them to come to a full stop. Any ideas what this could be? The ETC light (Throttle Control) also came off and on a couple times, when it was on I could only rev up to about 2.8K and then as soon as I would let off the gas the Jeep would die out. Do you have any Idea what could make the brakes stiff?

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I replaced my steering box on my 2007 JKU, now my brakes are stiff, I have to really mash down on them to come to a full stop. Any ideas what this could be? The ETC light (Throttle Control) also came off and on a couple times, when it was on I could only rev up to about 2.8K and then as soon as I would let off the gas the Jeep would die out. Do you have any Idea what could make the brakes stiff?

Steering box has nothing to do with your brakes.

wjtstudios

Hooked

Check your ABS wiring around the new gear. You had to work around those wires to install it and stretch them if you did not disconnect them and move them out of the way. I’d check to see if the connectors to the wheel sensors are loose, it will trigger the traction control lights. The nearest plug to get affected is right behind the pump towards the drivers seat on top of the frame. I’d start there.

The unless you some how managed to damage a break line during the install, the brakes should be unaffected. Hope this helps.

The one thing that I would like to add to Eddie's install write up, which was extremely helpful, is when you strap the steering wheel to the brake pedal to do it lightly or better yet attach the strap to the pedal mount behind. By keeping it strapped up for 24 hours it damaged or tweaked the brake light sensor at the top of the pedal. causing the brake lights to stay on. Simple fix swapping it out, but one less headache to deal with!

Thanks eddie for the write up.
^^^That's a good tip iv broken that little button on another vehicle before it was a tedious hunt for the problem if you don't know that's where it is. Anyways I joined the crew XDIIR box is on order will install in about a month can't wait. And good to know about the lower steering fluid.

jku612

I used this write up to help replace a worn oem unit with the PSC big bore. Very helpful. Thanks. I ended up removing the coolant overflow reservoir for better access to the hydraulic lines.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I used this write up to help replace a worn oem unit with the PSC big bore. Very helpful. Thanks. I ended up removing the coolant overflow reservoir for better access to the hydraulic lines.

Awesome! Glad I could be of help to you :thumb:

Top Bottom