Jeep Pushing the 2.0

WJCO

Meme King
Cool...and you’re happy with the performance & mpg?
We've had it on 35s since about the first week and performance is awesome (even being a Sport with higher gear ratio). Gas mileage average I think is around 18 but the average lowers when I drive it. Really no complaints so far. It was pinging on hills until we used 91 octane.

TrailHunter

Hooked
We've had it on 35s since about the first week and performance is awesome (even being a Sport with higher gear ratio). Gas mileage average I think is around 18 but the average lowers when I drive it. Really no complaints so far. It was pinging on hills until we used 91 octane.

Thats good to hear! ... except the 91 octane part.. Does Jeep recommend 91 at all fill ups?

jesse3638

Hooked
Thats good to hear! ... except the 91 octane part.. Does Jeep recommend 91 at all fill ups?
If I remember correctly I believe they say 91 is recommended but supposedly you can run 87 or 89. I remembered WJCO saying he was having pinging issues. I think in the desert here it'd ping year round on flat ground...haha. This is why I was looking for the 3.6L. We'll see how the e-torque goes with it. 4:88's aren't available on the xtreme recon package yet so I'm holding off on the purchase for a few months. Hopefully they'll come out then.

WJCO

Meme King
The manual says it's designed to run fine on 87, but if you want "optimal performance" use 91 or higher.
If I remember correctly I believe they say 91 is recommended but supposedly you can run 87 or 89. I remembered WJCO saying he was having pinging issues. I think in the desert here it'd ping year round on flat ground...haha. This is why I was looking for the 3.6L. We'll see how the e-torque goes with it. 4:88's aren't available on the xtreme recon package yet so I'm holding off on the purchase for a few months. Hopefully they'll come out then.
So our manual says 87 which we used for the first few months. My wife drove it most of the time. I had no idea about the pinging until I drove it for a few days in the mountains. It only pinged up hills. My wife hadn't even noticed it. Switched to 91 and it went away.

WJCO

Meme King
Have you driven a diesel yet? I know the price is silly but I’d at least test drive one to rule it out completely. No effing way would I get another 3.6 after having both now.
I ran into a guy with a diesel gladiator just the other day who had a previous gasoline gladiator and he said the same thing.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
One thing I failed to mention about the e-Torque engines, , in addition to starting the vehicle after first cold start, is that on acceleration the 48v system also gives an estimated boost of 70ft lbs. of torque and roughly 20-22 HP. This is data on the 2.0L which was discontinued in 2021, but the e-Torque technology is the same for the 3.6, but I do not have data on boost numbers for it.

TrailHunter

Hooked
One thing I failed to mention about the e-Torque engines, , in addition to starting the vehicle after first cold start, is that on acceleration the 48v system also gives an estimated boost of 70ft lbs. of torque and roughly 20-22 HP. This is data on the 2.0L which was discontinued in 2021, but the e-Torque technology is the same for the 3.6, but I do not have data on boost numbers for it.

Honestly though... is that shit really necessary? Isnt simplicity & longevity more desirable.. I don’t know... guess I need to test drive it.

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
Honestly though... is that shit really necessary? Isnt simplicity & longevity more desirable.. I don’t know... guess I need to test drive it.
TrailHunter, like I mentioned in either this thread or other ones, considering the world we are now living in with low emissions and high fuel mpg vehicles being demanded by federal gov., the engine and the system may be great. It is a peppy engine. Accelerates big time. I have 37's and my Jeep at present weighs about 5300lbs. I drove across country twice towing a dinky trailer, and can run 80-85 all day and have good accel to pass. NOT a V8, but remember I am talking about my 4cyl.
That being said...this is a Jeep forum and many of us wheel regularly, the 48v system is vulnerable to damage. If you make the effort 1st thing and try and guard the hoses which run along the frame. You may never have a problem. I went through this. My muffler was damaged and broke one of the muffler mounts. I didn't know until the next day. This caused muffler to sag, which rotated the pipe from muffler to front where the flange is by header. Pipe was now touching the coolant lines for the 48v battery. Put a pin hole in it and was leaking. This was a week before I was to drive to Utah. Dealer would not of had parts and also would of charged me for it since muffler was damaged.
Coolant lines in this area are offset and aluminum to go above frame mount. I was able to braze pin hole with aluminum bar. Hasn't leaked since.
I also removed muffler and installed muffler delete. I also wrapped the pipe where it is close to the plumbing with heat wrap.
I am confident, the plumbing is now protected, however I/we do not know longevity of 48v battery itself or anything else in the system. Aluminum can corrode. There can be sand left in engine from manufacturing. This wreaks havoc on a cooling system in the long run. Ford had this problem on a Diesel model and never disclosed. It was info we found out years later.
My point is...system is to new, but it is becoming less and less our choice. Sorry for long winded reply.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you driven a diesel yet? I know the price is silly but I’d at least test drive one to rule it out completely. No effing way would I get another 3.6 after having both now.
I don't know. I've driven Mel's diesel and for sure it's nice but the 3.6L in my JLUR with the 8-speed transmission is pretty damn peppy. It's definitely a HUGE difference compared to a JK with a 3.6L and 6-speed. That being said, I think a diesel would be what I would choose to get over a 2.0L or 3.6L with all the new doodads.

I don't know. I've driven Mel's diesel and for sure it's nice but the 3.6L in my JLUR with the 8-speed transmission is pretty damn peppy. It's definitely a HUGE difference compared to a JK with a 3.6L and 6-speed. That being said, I think a diesel would be what I would choose to get over a 2.0L or 3.6L with all the new doodads.

Agreed. I think the real winner JL over JK is the transmission. I do really enjoy the low rpm and very flat steady power curve of the diesel. It’s like dialing up a rheostat knob that just keeps going. Not a race car by any means but the enjoyment of feeling like there is a lot legs if you want.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. I think the real winner JL over JK is the transmission. I do really enjoy the low rpm and very flat steady power curve of the diesel. It’s like dialing up a rheostat knob that just keeps going. Not a race car by any means but the enjoyment of feeling like there is a lot legs if you want.
That's a great way of describing it and I would totally agree on both accounts.

vxskaxv

Honestly, the Extreme Recon package is a solid deal. You really couldn't do better with aftermarket parts, if you could even get them. If 37's is all you're going to run, I would get it with the 4.88 and call it a day.
Unfortunately on the recon extreme, to get 35’s factory with factory 4.88 gearing it’s only going to be with a 3.6 and manual transmission.

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
Unfortunately on the recon extreme, to get 37’s factory with 4.88 gearing it’s only going to be with a 3.6 and manual transmission.
Hmmm don't know about that. I don't even think 37's are an option. The article I read used the manual transmission to show the lowest possible crawl ratio IRR 100:1 on 4:88's they also showed the auto at like 87:1. So I'm not sure where this information is coming from.

Top Bottom