Jeep Pushing the 2.0

jesse3638

Hooked
Honestly, the Extreme Recon package is a solid deal. You really couldn't do better with aftermarket parts, if you could even get them. If 37's is all you're going to run, I would get it with the 4.88 and call it a day.
Yeah I don't see me going bigger than 37's. Doing quick math I figured $1500 for tires (if I can even find them...haha), $1500 for wheels, and $1500 minimum for a regear. That puts me at $4500 and no lift. I'll see what, if any price difference on 4:88's is.

CalSgt

Hooked
Honestly, the Extreme Recon package is a solid deal. You really couldn't do better with aftermarket parts, if you could even get them. If 37's is all you're going to run, I would get it with the 4.88 and call it a day.
I agree with Eddie, I am really pleased with mine - JLUR 3.6 auto on 37's with the 4.88's. I put about 19K on the stock 4.10 gears & 7K since

jesse3638

Hooked
I agree with Eddie, I am really pleased with mine - JLUR 3.6 auto on 37's with the 4.88's. I put about 19K on the stock 4.10 gears & 7K since
Thanks for the affirmation...haha. I'm waiting to hear back as to if they're available yet. I read 4:88's will be an option "later in the year". I don't know if this is late enough in the year. May have to hold out until they are.
Fuel mileage will be lower on 37s anyways. So I say go as low as you can on the gearing. Honestly the new transmission is so badass, you'll be blown away with it compared to the JK.
Yeah that's why I was thinking 4:56's would be good enough. From what I've read they'll be a bit lower on 35's than what a stock Rubicon on 33's is. 4:88's would be better as I know I'll go 37's once the KO2's wear out.

TrailHunter

Hooked
So I just built a Rubicon on Jeeps website (researching for my wife's next vehicle) and what I see is:

1. 3.6 standard only with manual
2. 2.0 (no eTorque) with the auto
3. 3.6 eTorque with auto $1750
4. Diesel $4500

I thought the etorque was on the 2.0... but now it's not.... and you can only get the 3.6 auto with the etorque..

So I guess my question is.... What the Fuck is eTorque and why did it move from the 2.0 to the 3.6?

PocketsEmptied

So I just built a Rubicon on Jeeps website (researching for my wife's next vehicle) and what I see is:

1. 3.6 standard only with manual
2. 2.0 (no eTorque) with the auto
3. 3.6 eTorque with auto $1750
4. Diesel $4500

I thought the etorque was on the 2.0... but now it's not.... and you can only get the 3.6 auto with the etorque..

So I guess my question is.... What the Fuck is eTorque and why did it move from the 2.0 to the 3.6?
Yes, for 2021 the eTorque moved to 3.6L autos. It has a belt start generator (BSG) w/ a 48V battery, the generator charges the 48V battery and then uses an inverter that converts things to 12V to power the traditional electrical system. It also has extra coolant lines to keep the 48V cool. The 2.0Ts now have the normal alternator system. The eTorque system is primarily used for the ESS, it kicks in and provides smoother starts for the first half turn of the tire. It also supposedly helps smooth shifting, and probably helps the EPA MPG by ~0.5 or so.

I just ordered a JL (coming from a JK), after test driving back to back to back I went with the 2.0T. It was a close decision, being $1750 cheaper and not really wanting the eTorque made it an easier. The 2.0T definitely felt peppier and had more torque where it counted, however it does sound like a lawn mower which hopefully a custom exhaust can help mitigate a little.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Yes, for 2021 the eTorque moved to 3.6L autos. It has a belt start generator (BSG) w/ a 48V battery, the generator charges the 48V battery and then uses an inverter that converts things to 12V to power the traditional electrical system. It also has extra coolant lines to keep the 48V cool. The 2.0Ts now have the normal alternator system. The eTorque system is primarily used for the ESS, it kicks in and provides smoother starts for the first half turn of the tire. It also supposedly helps smooth shifting, and probably helps the EPA MPG by ~0.5 or so.

I just ordered a JL (coming from a JK), after test driving back to back to back I went with the 2.0T. It was a close decision, being $1750 cheaper and not really wanting the eTorque made it an easier. The 2.0T definitely felt peppier and had more torque where it counted, however it does sound like a lawn mower which hopefully a custom exhaust can help mitigate a littl

So you have to spend 1700 for a .5 mpg improvement with more shit to maintain... or a lawnmower engine... Swell.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
What the Fuck is eTorque ?
This thread has some info and links to other threads about it: https://www.wayalife.com/threads/2021-jl-3-6-w-etorque-or-2020-jl-3-6-w-out-etorque.60911/

We currently have a 2.0 without etorque and have been happy with it so far. Have about 6k on it now.

The 2.0T definitely felt peppier and had more torque where it counted, however it does sound like a lawn mower which hopefully a custom exhaust can help mitigate a little.
The 2.0 is definitely peppier than the 3.6. I didn't notice any noises at first, but now that we've had it for awhile, it definitely sounds different than the 3.6. I don't know if I'd call it a lawnmower though, lol.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's a shame they got rid of the etorque on the 2.0L. I had a chance to drive one when they first came out and thought it felt like a bat out of hell. I wish I could do a side by side test of a 2.0 with and without one.

Dale72

Hooked
I had 10k on my JLUR 2.0 with etorque and it would set you back in the seat when you mashed on the gas. I never had any problems with it. The main reason I traded it was because of the luck I have I would be the first one to screw up the 14v battery. And with the way my back is getting I'm mainly going to be just exploring and the JT will be better for that

BlueRubicon

Caught the Bug
If there is some confusion...the 2.0L Turbo e-Torque that was option for all models 2018-20 w/automatic trans, was a mild hybrid. (I have in my 18 JLUR). Additional 48v battery is used to start the engine with a belt after the first cold start.
It takes the 48v DC and converts to AC 3phase. Every time vehicle is started after cold start, it is by the belt (AC 3phase system). It is pretty cool, other than what I am about to mention...the 48v battery requires heat and air condition to stay optimal. If it gets to hot it can be damaged, if it gets to cool, same thing.
This is bad for us off roaders because of the plumbing required to accomplish this. The plumbing is vulnerable to damage...I know first hand!!, as stated in a rant in a previous thread last year I experienced the cons of it.
Also there is no proper R&D on the life expectancy of the system. How much is this fucking battery going to cost when it fails? If it fails on the trail are you stranded?
Presently no one offers V8 kit for a JL with the 2.0L!
This engine is now discontinued and the 3.6 is the mild hybrid. Meaning...the 3.6 now has all the bullshit plumbing to worry about!
Like it or not this is the future. The FEDS are killing the auto makers with egregious fees to build large carbon print vehicles. Wrangler Unlimited is such one, particularly the Rubicon because of larger axles.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If there is some confusion...the 2.0L Turbo e-Torque that was option for all models 2018-20 w/automatic trans, was a mild hybrid. (I have in my 18 JLUR). Additional 48v battery is used to start the engine with a belt after the first cold start.
It takes the 48v DC and converts to AC 3phase. Every time vehicle is started after cold start, it is by the belt (AC 3phase system). It is pretty cool, other than what I am about to mention...the 48v battery requires heat and air condition to stay optimal. If it gets to hot it can be damaged, if it gets to cool, same thing.
This is bad for us off roaders because of the plumbing required to accomplish this. The plumbing is vulnerable to damage...I know first hand!!, as stated in a rant in a previous thread last year I experienced the cons of it.
Also there is no proper R&D on the life expectancy of the system. How much is this fucking battery going to cost when it fails? If it fails on the trail are you stranded?
This engine is now discontinued and the 3.6 is the mild hybrid. Meaning...the 3.6 now has all the bullshit plumbing to worry about!
Like it or not this is the future. The FEDS are killing the auto makers with egregious fees to build large carbon print vehicles. Wrangler Unlimited is such one, particularly the Rubicon because of larger axles.
Thanks for chiming in and clearing things up some. And, I'm with you, all this stuff is just BS. It is a big part of why we decided to get our 2-door with a manual transmission, so that we could just get a standard 3.6.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Shitty time to buy a Jeep right now. It’s insane you can’t get the standard 3.6 with the Auto. And even though my wife will probably never wheel the Jeep (or let me)... I look at it like a future project and dont want the gheytorque or the 2.0...

We’ll have to drive the 2.0... Maybe its perfect for her... but I think she will want a 4runner. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I think they are trying to get back the money they spent on coming up with the 2.0. When they first come out with it nobody was buying it. The 2018 JLUR I just traded for my JT had the 2.0 in it. I didn't have any problems with it, the only thing that I didn't like about it was having the 3rd 48v battery underneath
The 2.0 originally sold may be different than now. For example the 2.0 came with E-Torque and cost more than the default 3.6.

Now it seems that the 2.0 often does not come with E-Torque, and it is not offered at all for 2 door.

It's a shame they got rid of the etorque on the 2.0L. I had a chance to drive one when they first came out and thought it felt like a bat out of hell. I wish I could do a side by side test of a 2.0 with and witraffic, and passing at highway speeds

It's a shame they got rid of the etorque on the 2.0L. I had a chance to drive one when they first came out and thought it felt like a bat out of hell. I wish I could do a side by side test of a 2.0 with and without one.
Other than the unimpressive sound from the engine, I am still pretty happy with the 2.0 with E-Torque in my 2 door Rubicon (2 years already). It helps a lot when pulling out with oncoming traffic and makes passing on the highway surprisingly easy.

Dale72

Hooked
The 2.0 originally sold may be different than now. For example the 2.0 came with E-Torque and cost more than the default 3.6.

Now it seems that the 2.0 often does not come with E-Torque, and it is not offered at all for 2 door.
Mine was a 2018 so it was one of the first ones

Dale72

Hooked
This is why I traded mine because I would have damaged the lines and screwed up the battery

Top Bottom