Jeep Pushing the 2.0

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I've been in contact with a dealership to price out a new JLUR for my wife. I was surprised to see that if I wanted the 3.6l it was an additional $1750 and then the 850RE was another $1500. The dealership contacted me and said that in order to have that combo on the Rubicon, Jeep now requires the Extreme Recon Package (35's, beadlock ready wheels, lift, and 4:56's) which was another $3995. The other option was to get the 2.0 for $0 with the 850RE the 3.0 diesel with the 875HD or get a manual Trans. Wtf is going on here. Seems like Jeep is trying to push an agenda. It's really frustrating as I'm not really on board with the 2.0 and I don't want to spend another $4k on things I don't really want to have to power train configured the way I want.

benatc1

Hooked
That's really annoying, I could definitely be wrong but it seems odd you can't get the 3.6 with auto and not all the other stuff being that was essentially the standard option for an auto since the JL started. I think they've been hurting on 2.0 sales but I'm having a hard time believing that the 3.6 can only come with the extreme edition. Maybe find another dealer to confirm. Only thing is maybe they've made the 2.0 standard option, when it used to be the 3.6? Idk

Dale72

Hooked
Well I've been in contact with a dealership to price out a new JLUR for my wife. I was surprised to see that if I wanted the 3.6l it was an additional $1750 and then the 850RE was another $1500. The dealership contacted me and said that in order to have that combo on the Rubicon, Jeep now requires the Extreme Recon Package (35's, beadlock ready wheels, lift, and 4:56's) which was another $3995. The other option was to get the 2.0 for $0 with the 850RE the 3.0 diesel with the 875HD or get a manual Trans. Wtf is going on here. Seems like Jeep is trying to push an agenda. It's really frustrating as I'm not really on board with the 2.0 and I don't want to spend another $4k on things I don't really want to have to power train configured the way I want.
I think they are trying to get back the money they spent on coming up with the 2.0. When they first come out with it nobody was buying it. The 2018 JLUR I just traded for my JT had the 2.0 in it. I didn't have any problems with it, the only thing that I didn't like about it was having the 3rd 48v battery underneath

MostlyStockJK

That’s frustrating, I picked up a used JLUR about 3 weeks ago after looking for a new one for a month. After the dealerships not having any new ones and giving me the run around on ordering one I figured I’d check out used and opt for a 3.6 without etorque. Took a while but found one with everything I wanted and saved 15k from not buying a new one.

jesse3638

Hooked
I actually contacted Kent (Petersons Jeep) so I feel it's a reputable dealership. According to the Jeep builder it does look like the 2.0 is standard equipment now. With $3250 being need to "upgrade" to the 3.6 and 850RE combo you'd think there wouldn't need to be anything else. I looked at the local dealership and all their JLUR's have the 2.0 in them too.

WJCO

Meme King
I actually contacted Kent (Petersons Jeep) so I feel it's a reputable dealership. According to the Jeep builder it does look like the 2.0 is standard equipment now. With $3250 being need to "upgrade" to the 3.6 and 850RE combo you'd think there wouldn't need to be anything else. I looked at the local dealership and all their JLUR's have the 2.0 in them too.
That's so stupid. When we were going to get a JL about 3 years ago, it was the 2.0 that would cost the extra 3k.

Dale72

Hooked
That's so stupid. When we were going to get a JL about 3 years ago, it was the 2.0 that would cost the extra
Sooner or later it's going to be the only motor that we will be able to get in any vehicle will be electric

jesse3638

Hooked
Yeah doing some quick interwebs research it looks like this was the package to compete with the bronco sasquatch. It was just released at the end of last month so maybe this is a new "requirement" on that combo. It's really frustrating and may just cause me to hold off on my purchase. I'm not one to purchase something I don't want. I'll see what they can do.

Edit: As mentioned it maybe some ordering system auto population thing. I know when I ordered my JK there were some odd options that popped up at first but then cleared out. Not sure what lift it comes with, but $4k for the lift, wheels and tires, and regear all while being financed actually isn't too bad. Just not something I want to be forced to buy to get what I want.

Last edited:

Dale72

Hooked
The Stingray JLU that Mel had had the 2.0, so you could probably talk to him about how it did on the trails

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There really is a glut of 2.0s out there and I think Jeep is trying their hardest to unload them. As mentioned, if you want a 3.6, you'll need to order it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well shit, I just saw this and have to say that's a really bummer to hear.

I wonder if this is an EPA thing like soft tops on a 2-door. A certain amount of 2.0s need to be sold before 3.6s can be sold.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I just talked to someone who would know and apparently, this is just an end of the model year thing. They're just trying to clear out 2.0s and a few other things determining this.

Dale72

Hooked
I really didn't have any problems with the one I had. If you are not going to go offroad with it much then it will do great, the only thing that I didn't like was the 48v battery underneath because if anyone was going to screw it up out on a trail it would have been me

jesse3638

Hooked
OK so I've been going back and forth with Kent over the last 36 hours. First off he's been awesome to work with. Thanks for the recommendation Eddie. In doing some thinking the xtreme recon package isn't really that bad of a deal for what you get. I'd end up spending that or more to get it to that point anyway. Plus I'd assume there may be some warranty that came with it. :crazyeyes: . That being said this will be a vehicle for my wife and my JK will be more of the "hardcore" off road rig. So a turn key "modded" rig for her works out well. The price difference between the 2.0 and 3.6 w/ recon package really was just the cost of the recon package. So after some thinking and number crunching I'm looking to order the 3.6 with the extreme recon package. I think 4:56's will be perfect for 37's on a DD...haha. I could order it with 4:88's I believe. Any input as to the gearing on the JL would be appreciated.

WJCO

Meme King
OK so I've been going back and forth with Kent over the last 36 hours. First off he's been awesome to work with. Thanks for the recommendation Eddie. In doing some thinking the xtreme recon package isn't really that bad of a deal for what you get. I'd end up spending that or more to get it to that point anyway. Plus I'd assume there may be some warranty that came with it. :crazyeyes: . That being said this will be a vehicle for my wife and my JK will be more of the "hardcore" off road rig. So a turn key "modded" rig for her works out well. The price difference between the 2.0 and 3.6 w/ recon package really was just the cost of the recon package. So after some thinking and number crunching I'm looking to order the 3.6 with the extreme recon package. I think 4:56's will be perfect for 37's on a DD...haha. I could order it with 4:88's I believe. Any input as to the gearing on the JL would be appreciated.
Fuel mileage will be lower on 37s anyways. So I say go as low as you can on the gearing. Honestly the new transmission is so badass, you'll be blown away with it compared to the JK.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, the Extreme Recon package is a solid deal. You really couldn't do better with aftermarket parts, if you could even get them. If 37's is all you're going to run, I would get it with the 4.88 and call it a day.

Top Bottom