JEEP DIESEL ISSUES : Are you Experiencing Any?

Have you had any problems with the diesel engine on you Jeep?

• No. Everything has been running great and I love it!

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Yes, I've had a problem but it wasn't a big deal and I'm still happy with it.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes, I've had major problems and I wish I had gotten a different engine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say, I have driven and wheeled a diesel Jeep Gladiator and loved it. Even with 42" tires, it seemed like it had tons of power and climbed steep obstacles like it was on tracks. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that they canned the 3.0L, I would have seriously considered getting it on a future Jeep. That said, I recently got talking to a couple of people, one who has JL Wrangler and the other, a JT Gladiator, and both had a serious issue with their fuel system. Specifically, both had a fuel rail go out and, while Jeep covered it under warranty, the cost to have it replace was about $10k. Meaning, if or when it goes out again, it'll cost that much or more to have it fixed in the future. Of course, my bigger concern is that the engine had only been out for 3 years and long term, I have to wonder what parts and support there will be for it in the future.

With all that said, I was hoping to hear from those of you who own a Jeep with a diesel. Have you been having any problems or have had to have anything fixed? I would love to know what your experiences have been like with it. Thanks!

That's wild! I have driven and loved the diesel as well and wanted it in my next rig in the form of a JT for sure. However with it's short life and problems I've heard such as this I just can't, and can't fathom the price of diesel here in CA anyway...

They really better have something other than the 4XE in the works for the JT as I DO NOT want the 3.6 in it. If not I suppose I'd be okay with the 3.6 again in another Wrangler. Feels almost as if the Gladiator won't be around much longer either...

Jackboeker83

I have to say, I have driven and wheeled a diesel Jeep Gladiator and loved it. Even with 42" tires, it seemed like it had tons of power and climbed steep obstacles like it was on tracks. In fact, if it weren't for the fact that they canned the 3.0L, I would have seriously considered getting it on a future Jeep. That said, I recently got talking to a couple of people, one who has JL Wrangler and the other, a JT Gladiator, and both had a serious issue with their fuel system. Specifically, both had a fuel rail go out and, while Jeep covered it under warranty, the cost to have it replace was about $10k. Meaning, if or when it goes out again, it'll cost that much or more to have it fixed in the future. Of course, my bigger concern is that the engine had only been out for 3 years and long term, I have to wonder what parts and support there will be for it in the future.

With all that said, I was hoping to hear from those of you who own a Jeep with a diesel. Have you been having any problems or have had to have anything fixed? I would love to know what your experiences have been like with it. Thanks!
I have only had mine for about a year but I have had zero problems. I have seen the stuff online as well but experienced none of it. I love my diesel and I will keep it for the long run.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Overall we love the power the diesel has. When you push the skinny pedal it just goes and moves out with a purpose. The mileage is 25-ish with 35’s and stock gearing.

We had a catalytic converter go out and was replaced under warranty. There is also a recall on the fuel pump but no replacement is available- yet. 🤬

The points you bring up about longevity and support are valid and something to consider. If it ever dies Ive heard of a place in Vegas that does LT1 magic. 😉

Coming up on three years with mine. Nothing too bad and really could have happened to any other vehicle. This past June a check engine light came on indicating a fault with a diesel particulate sensor. A quick change of the sensor and all is well.
I did experience the dreaded detune that limits top speed to 45 mph and limits throttle input. Both times it occurred I was attempting to punch it up a steep mountain climb in the sierras in about a hundred degree temperatures. Not acceptable that this occurred even though I think it was nothing more than too many damn sensors and computers as I monitor engine temps and it wasn’t spiking.
I absolutely love this pickup and little engine. However I would not buy a JT or JL with a 3.0 being that’s it’s getting canned. It has already been a bitch to get simple service items like filters and such and going extinct will only hurt this even more. If the overlords wouldn’t crush the diesel market and shove EV down the sheeples throats it would be the one I’d recommend if it was going to be around.

I’m going to miss the JT and ecodiesel….

Last edited:

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Coming up on three years with mine. Nothing too bad and really could have happened to any other vehicle. This past June a check engine light came on indicating a fault with a diesel particulate sensor. A quick change of the sensor and all is well.
I did experience the dreaded detune that limits top speed to 45 mph and limits throttle input. Both times it occurred I was attempting to punch it up a steep mountain climb in the sierras in about a hundred degree temperatures. Not acceptable that this occurred even though I think it was nothing more than too many damn sensors and computers as I monitor engine temps and it wasn’t spiking.
I absolutely love this pickup and little engine. However I would not buy a JT or JL with a 3.0 being that’s it’s getting canned. It has already been a bitch to get simple service items like filters and such and going extinct will only hurt this even more. If the overlords wouldn’t crush the diesel market and shove EV down the sheeples throats it would be the one I’d recommend if it was going to be around.

I’m going to miss the JT and ecodiesel….
Great point HighwayTrout, the greenies HATE diesel and want it to go extinct. Ironically modern diesels have the potential to crush the EV market if the Gov would actually let the free market decide and not the EPA. No manufacturer is going to pump any R&D dollars into developing the next generation diesel motor when the feds have proclaimed it verboten. We gotta get away from the Gov picking the winners and losers. 🤬

Great point HighwayTrout, the greenies HATE diesel and want it to go extinct. Ironically modern diesels have the potential to crush the EV market if the Gov would actually let the free market decide and not the EPA. No manufacturer is going to pump any R&D dollars into developing the next generation diesel motor when the feds have proclaimed it verboten. We gotta get away from the Gov picking the winners and losers. 🤬
Maybe I'll still get a diesel just to say f*** 'em. Lol

Lost In The Woods

Caught the Bug
So far I'm happy with mine. I've put 21k on it and no major issues (knock on wood). With 37" tires, it has enough power that I don't feel the need to regear. I've taken it down to Southern Cal and Arizona a couple of times and averaged right at 20 mpg by the numbers. I am concerned about the longevity of the DEF system but time will tell on that.

WJCO

Meme King
This is the core problem.

onlyone

Mine has been amazing. I wouldn’t trade it for any other motor. Fuel mileage is great and the power is effortless and will push you in the seat till you let off. The sound is pretty awesome too. It’s amazing how many people look twice as I drive by through parking lots.

onlyone

It was most likely the HPFP that went out on their JL/JTs, which pretty much takes out all the fuel rails and entire fuel system. The CP4 fuel pump is fine over seas, because their diesel is the old stuff we used to have before the EPA decided we need ultra low sulfur diesel, that has no lubrication.
Looks like the recall will replace the cp4 with the old cp3 pump that is bulletproof and will run on anything. The HD Cummins had the same recall and CP4 pump. They replaced them with the same old CP3 with no more issues. That’s a good thing for this diesel.

TheGrendel

it's hard enough to get replacement parts for engines and transmissions that they use across multiple product lines. heavy duty diesels have enough problems. i'm not chancing it with the 3.0. already cancelled. a bad fuel pump design that they still haven't fixed.

=/=

LOVE my 2022 JT diesel sport. It has never got stuck. The only issue I've had is the break angle of the longer frame but being able to throw 37's on the factory axles makes up for that quite a bit.

Nitmare2k

I have had my 2021 JL for almost two years I have not had one problem... I am in line for a HPFP replacemnet last time i checked here in Carson city i was #60 in line? I really enjoy the power I run Nitto ridge grapplers it still has good power. I do run Hotshots Diesel treatment each fill up. I keep my fingers crossed.

Top Bottom