Is this noise the TOB or Input Shaft?

Whiskeyjack

I can replace the clutch/TOB without too much headache, but replacing an input shaft is new to me so I'd rather not just for "peace of mind".

At idle in neutral it makes this sound. If I hit the gas it gets louder/faster. If I put some pressure on the clutch pedal it goes away. I'm thinking TOB but I figured I'd ask the people who would know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMfLHhcgBuw

I think you mean input shaft bearing not the shaft itself?
It’s a little more “ratchety” sounding than a normal tob, but, it could be a stuck bearing rotating against the clutch fingers. As well as any other clutch damage you have going on. Honestly won’t really know until you drop it out. You can check the shaft by spinning it and wiggling it around to see if the bearing has play.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Whiskeyjack

I think you mean input shaft bearing not the shaft itself?
It’s a little more “ratchety” sounding than a normal tob, but, it could be a stuck bearing rotating against the clutch fingers. As well as any other clutch damage you have going on. Honestly won’t really know until you drop it out. You can check the shaft by spinning it and wiggling it around to see if the bearing has play.

Yeah, meant the bearing. I suppose I could check, just don't want to drop it on a weekend job and find out I gotta replace my input shaft bearing too. But such is life.

Thanks for the tip.

Whiskeyjack

Bought the rest of the parts/tools I need to replace the clutch and TOB. Hopefully I don't run into any problems or discover a worn input shaft bearing...

wish me luck.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I can replace the clutch/TOB without too much headache, but replacing an input shaft is new to me so I'd rather not just for "peace of mind".

At idle in neutral it makes this sound. If I hit the gas it gets louder/faster. If I put some pressure on the clutch pedal it goes away. I'm thinking TOB but I figured I'd ask the people who would know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMfLHhcgBuw

My guess would be TOB... could also be a worn out input shaft retainer. It’s a super thin piece of metal that may have worn down in some spots, causing the TOB to rattle around on it.

Bierpower

Hooked
Probably not the case but a possibility. My wife was driving a manual Jetta for a while and it started sounding like it had a bad TOB. We got a new clutch to get rid of the dual mass setup and found some interesting things when we got the transmission out.

691438994.jpg
610214476.jpg

Turns out the flex plate spring broke and was running against the trans face. When you pressed the clutch it would go quiet and then you can imagine the noise when you let up to roll away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Probably not the case but a possibility. My wife was driving a manual Jetta for a while and it started sounding like it had a bad TOB. We got a new clutch to get rid of the dual mass setup and found some interesting things when we got the transmission out.

View attachment 342755
View attachment 342754

Turns out the flex plate spring broke and was running against the trans face. When you pressed the clutch it would go quiet and then you can imagine the noise when you let up to roll away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

That's interesting.

It reminds me of the wrecker we had when I was growing up.

The clutch started to rattle in it. One day I revved it out pretty good in second. Just before I got third, I heard three or four loud bangs, then the clutch noise quit.

When I got back to the shop and crawled under it, it had spit out four of the find off of the clutch disk. One was still stuck in the dust shield, and the others left holes where the went out.

It ran like that for a month or two before we finally got a new clutch for it

Top Bottom