Inline fuse for winch install?

In5ane1

Im gonna hook up my winch today. Do you need to fuse a winch?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

In5ane1

Maybe instead of asking "do you need" I should have asked "is it recommended"...

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Most winches have an inline fuse somewhere close to the motor, at least my old Smitty winch did and my Warn does as well. Not needed but recommended indeed.

In5ane1

Ok I need some help please!

The engo solenoid fits too close to my grill so I relocated to on top of battery. This means longer cable...

Supposedly the battery cable is 2 gauhe but it looks no more than 4 gauge. All other cables look like 4 gauge too. I could only find a 0 gauge at a car audio place but it frickin huge and harder ro manipulate. Any advice...? Is 4 gauge too small for battery to solenoid connection? Dont want a fire under hood!

I planned 4 gauge for all other cables...

Would really appreciate some advice...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Ok I need some help please!

The engo solenoid fits too close to my grill so I relocated to on top of batyery. This means longer cable...

Supposedly the battery cable is 2 gauhe but it looks no more than 4 gauge. All other cables look like 4 gauge too. I could only find a 0 gauge at a car audio place but it frickin huge and harder ro manipulate. Any advice...? Is 4 gauge too small for battery to solenoid connection? Dont want a fire under hood!

By 2 gauge or zero gauge. It'll say in the manual what the wire is.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
4 gauge is ok for the in and out wires right?

Idk what size they are. You don't want to use smaller wire then what it has right now. Look in your manual and it should say what size the wires are.

In5ane1

Idk what size they are. You don't want to use smaller wire then what it has right now. Look in your manual and it should say what size the wires are.

Doesnt specify. Guess ill call tomorrow.

pvanweelden

Anytime you have to increase the length of a wire carrying large amounts of current, it is always best to increase the wire thickness (decrease the gauge). Find out for sure what it is now, and go to a 2 gauge if it is a 4 gauge now.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Anytime you have to increase the length of a wire carrying large amounts of current, it is always best to increase the wire thickness (decrease the gauge). Find out for sure what it is now, and go to a 2 gauge if it is a 4 gauge now.

X's 2! Show some pics of the relocated solenoid please. Got me thinking about doing the same thing.

In5ane1

X's 2! Show some pics of the relocated solenoid please. Got me thinking about doing the same thing.

Will take some tomorrow. For now...im just using 3m outdoor velcro stuff to attach it until I figure out what I want to do.

In5ane1

Does the negative battery cable from winch have to be same size as power cable?

In5ane1

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ill take pics when done.

one other question...

I have to use a wrench to tighten winch bolts because of location. How much is 35 ft lbs when using basic hand wrench? Just tight as I can get it?

Well said. Smaller gauge cable is okay when the runs are short. This is one of the reasons the solenoid box is kept so close the the winch motor.

Something else to consider is the quality of the cable. Cable with finer stranding and/or more ductile wire will carry the current more efficiently than the same gauge cable with fewer strands or a copper alloy that is hard. (You should be okay here though as you mentioned you were looking at car audio places for the wire.)

pastorwug

IMG_0236.jpg

Here's what I did. Purchased an in-line fuse at a Car Audio dealer then made a short pigtail from 4 gauge red wire.

Serg5000

If you look at the specs from the winch you have and reading what amperage it pulls when in use, you should be able to head to any audio shop and buy the one that best fits your setup.

Top Bottom