How Much front bumper weight is significant?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to clarify, alot of reading I've been doing to learn, never had a Jeep before. Unfortunately the internet is mostly my source of info.
Don't overthink it. Thread closed.
To WJCO's point, people were Jeeping and building up their rigs well before there was an internet. And to the point I was trying to make, the way we learned what we needed, what worked and what didn't, was by getting out and using our Jeeps. Trial and error and the experience we gained from it, is ultimately what taught us.

With that, I say just get out and have some fun and the rest will come to you :)

Last edited:

LVMohave

Just to clarify, my comment wasn't meant to disparage you but rather, to point out that there's a ton of really bad information on the internet, most of which is regurgitated nonsense and all from people who sound like experts. Me, I would never pretend to know more than what the internet has to say but can share what I have learned over the years and through photos and videos. Rolling mass is real but only when accelerating from a stop and really, not enough to really matter. Otherwise, "an object in motion tends to stay in motion". Even when it comes to fuel economy, "rolling resistance" will hurt it more than mass any day of the week and this is something that I have personally tested out and have verified working with companies like Nitto, Toyo, Falken and Cooper. But again, that's just what I've seen and learned over the years and you can take it or leave it.

What I said is that it isn't enough of a big deal to matter but as I mentioned, it, along with something like a winch, can make the front end of your Jeep sag and as much as an inch. This is significant and something that you'd want or need to address and with something like coil spacers. Just trying to put things into perspective.
Understood and I did NOT take any of your comments negatively. Appreciate all the comments and help.

=/=

Eh for me I have to worry about payload since I need to tow a trailer so the 30lbs would be reasonable to trim if possible. Same reason I ditched the aux battery. None the less, I still have a steel front bumper and winch. I don't really trust aluminum for a bumper's job.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Same reason I ditched the aux battery.
The auxiliary battery exists to help protect your Jeep's computer during start ups. Removing it WILL cause damage to the computer over time. This is NOT an opinion, this is straight from the engineers at Jeep.

Reactions: =/=

=/=

The auxiliary battery exists to help protect your Jeep's computer during start ups. Removing it WILL cause damage to the computer over time. This is NOT an opinion, this is straight from the engineers at Jeep.
Interdasting. That is an interesting admission on their part that repeated starts damage the jeep computers. That doesn't seem to be an issue for other manufacturers. As an EE with a decade of experience in this, I have to laugh at the solution...adding an entire battery to hold up a susceptible circuit. None the less, if that problem has been identified by the mfg then its probably real. Thanks for the heads up.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Eh for me I have to worry about payload since I need to tow a trailer so the 30lbs would be reasonable to trim if possible. Same reason I ditched the aux battery. None the less, I still have a steel front bumper and winch. I don't really trust aluminum for a bumper's job.
Coming from someone who spent the better part of last year pulling forestry and other equipment to and from a 15 acre site with a ram 2500 which was probably often times overloaded worrying about 30lbs of payload - is like putting a condom on in bed and being anxious about your partner being able to find her way into bed. 30lbs of payload isn't going to harm anything - overlanding folks are often overloaded - its not hard to find overlanders with payloads that exceed their max payload by well north of 1k lbs. There are 4runners that are pushing scales close to 7k lbs.... your Gladiator is going to be fine.

Reactions: =/=
Top Bottom